18 replies to this topic

#1 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

Ive been given some old i think 70's mini wheel spacers, the box info says, 'vastly improve road handling and the style of your mini'
Can i use these safely or... should i replace all wheel bearings to be on safe side, I am using the chrome arches also.

cheersmedears...KC xx

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

They certainly won't vastly improve your handling, might do the opposite!

You'll also need wheel studs to match if you do use them.

#3 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

the bearings will wear much quicker! how wide are they certainly wouldnt reccommend much over half inch!

#4 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

the bearings will wear much quicker! how wide are they certainly wouldnt reccommend much over half inch!

they are not so wide maybe 1/2 and i do have the studs. what about if i just use them on the rear??

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

I've got a set of vintage 1 3/4" spacers here at home :P

#6 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Thats WIDE! flamin hell, whats that a wheel bearing a week, lol

#7 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

thats crazy! lol

its up to you, as long as ther inside the arches for the mot any id change the bearings first...

#8 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

thats crazy! lol

its up to you, as long as ther inside the arches for the mot any id change the bearings first...

right well were fitting them, if they look cool they are stopping on. cheers for that. KC x

#9 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

thats it, they could look cack or maybe handle the same!

#10 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

thats it, they could look cack or maybe handle the same!

I will post pics, hopefully will be ready to collect car on saturday, then we can get done with the business of putting him back together, have you seen my outrageous wheels yet?
there going on, spacers and all....

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

When you say they are old style spacers, do you mean the type that use screw on extensions to the original studs? If so please don't use them, they are lethal and should be outlawed.

Is your car using disc or drum brakes? And as for using them rear only, don't. Or I wouldn't anyway, the Mini is supposed to have a narrower track at the rear and the handling will be adversely affected (in my opinion anyhow, handling is a very personal and subjective thing) by widening it relative to the front.

#12 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

When you say they are old style spacers, do you mean the type that use screw on extensions to the original studs? If so please don't use them, they are lethal and should be outlawed.

Is your car using disc or drum brakes? And as for using them rear only, don't. Or I wouldn't anyway, the Mini is supposed to have a narrower track at the rear and the handling will be adversely affected (in my opinion anyhow, handling is a very personal and subjective thing) by widening it relative to the front.

Hmm now youve buggered it, yes they are extensions and one set is brand new from halfrauds! ripspeed universal ones!
the others are 70's ones but very similar indeed

:P

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

Well, sorry about that but it's better you know. People do use them and you can of course if you want to but the opinion of lots of professionals is that they are extremely unsafe. Personally I would avoid them.

#14 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

Well, sorry about that but it's better you know. People do use them and you can of course if you want to but the opinion of lots of professionals is that they are extremely unsafe. Personally I would avoid them.

I guess i should ask then , what could happen?

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:07 PM

The original studs that the exensions screw onto are not evenly loaded by them. The way the extensions are locked into the spacer that is trying to prevent them unthreading results in them being unevenly tightened. In theory you can nip them all up to the correct torque then measure how far around each needs to turn to bring them in line, drift the studs back out and turn them in their splines the correct amount. In practice it will never be possible to get them all properly tightened to the correct preload and in line enough to lock into the spacer properly. Also any flex in the fitment will be magnified by the spacer extension and have a greater effect on the extension thread than it would on the wheelnut thread causing it to loosen, made worse by the uneven loading.

In short, the original wheel studs can snap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users