44 replies to this topic

#31 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

Definitly like Dave said, it's not too hard to learn, but to do it perfect will take a couple of years of experience. I am so lucky with a friend that's a pro welder and will weld everything I need for a tidy fee. For the underside of the car average welding is good enough as you rarely see it anyways. Welding in panels, etc. I would leave that to the pro's, unless you just happen to find out you are gifted for that kind of work.

What are the pieces that are rotten? Or is it at the point that it is easier to say what is not rotten?

MiniMoi

#32 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

Well both floor pans have gone, drivers side A-panel, drivers side wing and the front valance are a bit rusted, maybe repairable?! Oh and sills. And theres rust appearing around the drivers side scutlle, and there was a couple of holes near the passenger side rear subframe mounts, the ones under the rear seats.

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Well circumstances change and it looks like I'm sorting out this car now and waving goodbye to the BR beast. Since I promised myslef I would be flyinh round in a mini of some sort or shape I will be patching this up, then when I get back it will be fully rebuilt over the winter ready for L2B next year.

Ok, so my patch up plans. Well since I want to learn as much as I can I'll be firstly fitting a flip front since most of the front panels, including A-panels are rusty. I'll also be rebuilding the 850 engine I have at the side of the house as a learning curve til I build something closer to a 1400 for it over the winter.

A couple of questions; I'm going to be modify the 850 slightly, like working on my own cylinder head, without doing much to the bottom end (apart from change of cam), I'd like to get about 70 bhp, is this realistic? I'm thinking a standard gearbox, modified head (not sure what to do to it yet), HIF38 carb, decent inlet and exhaust manifold. And disc brakes (10", to allow for Force Racing wheels over winter).

The other thing is, its currently an automatic, will I have to get a different subframe for the manual? I know about things like pedal box and gear lever, but not sure about subframe? Also will a round nose flipfront fit? (I'd like to get both a round nose and a clubby flip front to pick and choose as the wind changes!!

#34 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:26 PM

Anyone help me with this? Does any subframe fit a Clubby, and are subframes A/A+ specific?

Also, I don't suppose anyone knows the price of KADs magnesium alloy wheels?!

#35 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

Well I finally got the subframe and wheels and everything back on yesterday evening!

I fitted new cones, and because I'm not going to be driving for a couple of months, I've loaded up the boot with bags of compost, concrete, tools, and other really heavy stuff to try and compress the cones a bit!!! New standard shocks are on! Should be interesting using them around Castle Combe in October!!

Soon to start on the front. I am watching a couple of one peice fibreglass flip fronts which I will fit when I've won one of them, and at the same time I'll be re-building the 850 and doing the minor alterations to convert it to a manual!

#36 austin68

austin68

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hi

Re the subframe. You definately need to change it to accept a manual engine. Keep me posted on how the car go's as i want to do somthing similar.
Who's doing your welding then?

#37 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Well as soon as I hear back from Woody I'll hopefully be buying his welder from him in which case I will!!

#38 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

brave man!

#39 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

Well to start with it isn't going to be major, all I need to do is sort out the floor pans, and the drives A-panel! Besides, it doesn't matter if it C**p this time round since it will be getting a full rebuilt after Castle Combe!

#40 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

70bhp from an 850 will take a fair bit of doin as its only 34 or 38 bhp as standard.
just looked on winsu and with a kent 286 cam and stage 3 head (ported, reshaped chambers and bigger valves) it estimates 69bhp. with a cam as hot as a 286 in an 850 it'll be a bit of a sod to drive tho

#41 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

Ah, I'll be having a custom cam made up. Stage 3 head isn't a problem, will be doing most the work myself, and they'll be a few other tricks going into it!!

#42 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

keep the car light and it'll be quick with 70bhp. deffo get rid of the auto engine and box tho, as auto boxes are expensive to repair. you need a manual subframe, pedal box and clutch cylinder. there was a supercharged 850 with 80bhp in one of the mags a few months back

#43 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

Ha ha, really?! I don't think I'll bother with the forced induction, I'll only be using it for a couple of months!! And it will unnecessarily push up insurance!! Bill Richards will be guiding me on this build, but I'll be very much in charge on this one!!

#44 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

I'll only be using it for a couple of months!!

Whats happening to it afterwards? (sorry if I missed it earlier!)

#45 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

I have a spare 850 engine at the side of my house which I'm gonna rebuild over next couple of months to get in practice, and to get the Clubby on the road to use at a few shows over summer, epescially Castle Combe in October, then when I get back from CC I'll be stripping the whole car and rebuilding, prob with something like a 1380 (using the experience gained from building 850!)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users