26 replies to this topic

#16 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yes you can. Minispeed sell a 4 speed sequential but its around 3k for the box so pretty pricey

#17 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:40 PM

im sure someone does a sequential gearbox for a mini, it definately wont be cheap though...

#18 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

A Smart car uses a 6-speed sequential gearbox !

698cc , 3-cylinder and turbo charged !!! ;D :thumbsup: :D

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

We have a Ralliart Galant that has a Tiptronic gearbox but instead of the flappy paddles, the gear lever moves over to one side and you can use it as a sequential gearbox

Hmm, almost. Tiptronic is a trade name of Porsche and originally describes only their auto gearbox when equipped with a throw over gearstick that shifts up and down on one side of the gate and operates as an auto on the other. So the Mitsubishi system (also fitted to my Lancer) is almost the same but not made by Porsche. However on the Porsche system when in Tiptronic mode the driver is in full control, the Mitsubishi version is still in auto for the down shifts when in 'manual' to protect itself.

There is a difference between Tiptronic, sequential and paddle gearboxes in that they refer to different things. What exactly are you after here?

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

A Smart car uses a 6-speed ...

CVT. Different again.

#21 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

As for teh mini, someone did do a sequential box a couple of years ago and it was for sale but it was something like £6k!!

Could you fit a sequencial box to an A series lump? Would be interesting......

Yes you can. Minispeed sell a 4 speed sequential but its around 3k for the box so pretty pricey

im sure someone does a sequential gearbox for a mini, it definately wont be cheap though...

Does no one read each others replies anymore?! ;D

#22 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Look at the times Jammy, it takes some of the younger members a little longer to type words correctly rather than txt typ ;D

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 20 September 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#23 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

Yea, I did notice the times and hoped no one else would comment! 1 minute is plenty of time to read the replies and type up your own! ;D

#24 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

yes yes, sequential box is available..and its about 4,250 which i do want to get one day
sequential boxes work by using a barrel, when you push the lever forward it twists the barrel which in turn lock a peg into different positions, this action of locking the pegs selects different gears.
depending on the shifter, i believe some are electroicly controled by solonoids so when the lever is pushed/pulled it will send signal to the sol' if the gearbox from "minispeed" is that kinda systen the demontweeks sell a conversion which can be "retro fitted" to almost any sequential system. ether push buttons fited to the wheel can be used or the flappy padels
if i had a sequential box id rather keep with the lever except raise it up alot higher so its right next to the steering wheel

its somthing im looking into aswell for distant future, i know sumone who was thinking about designing and making his own system but not sure if this will be happening due to recent evens, my rally car fitted with JKD dogbox was going to be test unit (if i feel its been designed correctly and isnt going to damage any components of my box :S

there are some companys selling generic sequential box's which reqire custon bell housings except this wouldnt work on the likes ot a mini due to the shared gearbox sump layout...they also sell the components for a self built conversion but again not sure if its possible for the likes of a mini

Edited by mini93, 20 September 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#25 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

watch this space ;D

#26 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

From the latest MiniWolrd, Harris Motorsport & Quaife have developed a 5 speed, straight cut sequential box. Price is expected to be around £9k!

#27 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

john are you developing your own??? need a test car? ;D aaah worth a try anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users