tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

Hi Guys

This time, no hazards, heated rear screen, indicators, or brake lights...

Any ideas???

Fuses and wiring all fine... All have been working within the last fortnight, and suddenly they dont work :dontgetit:

Tom

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

I would say that your last sentence is incorrect given that you have a problem! :dontgetit:

#3 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

I would say that your last sentence is incorrect given that you have a problem! :dontgetit:

Problem Jamster??? never...

Only with the car... stupid electrics...

Anyway guys, i'd be grateful for any advice as to where to try next... I cant really afford to send her to a garage, but might have to :wub:

Tom

#4 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

How old is the fusebox? After a few years they get all furry on the back & do unpredictable things - by the sound of it, this isn't the first electrical gremlin you've had recently. Get a new fusebox as a first step & make sure all the connectors are clean when you swap it. All the circuits you mention are on the ignition fused circuit - can't remember which fuse it is, but it'll have a white wire on one side of the fuse or the other.

JR

#5 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

How old is the fusebox? After a few years they get all furry on the back & do unpredictable things - by the sound of it, this isn't the first electrical gremlin you've had recently. Get a new fusebox as a first step & make sure all the connectors are clean when you swap it. All the circuits you mention are on the ignition fused circuit - can't remember which fuse it is, but it'll have a white wire on one side of the fuse or the other.

JR

so it could be fusebox???

I know that it's partly corroded because I have had problems with it before...

a new fusebox and decent connections would fix these you recon???

Tom

Edited by tomsbluemini, 25 September 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#6 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

If it's got corrosion on the back then there's every chance it's the fusebox. They're not too expensive, so worth renewing.

JR

#7 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

Cool stuff, i'll give that a go...

my girlfriend's new job is just down the road from 2 half decent mini places, one of which we need to test to see if it's any good, so I might send her in there tomorrow :dontgetit:

It needs doing anyway, so i'll do that, but, if it doesn't fix the problems, has anyone got any more ideas???

Tom

#8 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

Rosie's hopefully going to pick me up a fusebox today from one of the many mini places near Croydon, so I'll try fitting it soon :gimme:

Tom

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

Considering what's failed, it's sounds like the top fuse (35amp) is to blame, so you'll probably find you're reverse lights aren't working either?

As for the hazard warning lights, these run on an in-line fuse which is tucked behind you're air filter box, along with a few others.

This should help: -

Standard 4 fuse box mounted on the bulkhead: -

1 1-2 35amp Brake Lights, Reverse Lights, Direction Indicators & Rear Screen Demister.

2 3-4 25amp Horn, Headlamp Flasher, Brake Failure Circuit & Radio Memory.

3 5-6 25amp Heater Blower Motor, Windscreen Wipers, Washer Motor & Instruments.

4 7-8 15amp Side & Tail Lights, Panel Lights & Instruments.

1-2 These circuits only operate with the ignition switch at position "II".

5-6 These circuits only operate with the ignition switch at position "I" or "II".

The wiring colours for the fusebox itself is something like: -

White - Green
Brown - Purple
Green/White? - Light green?
Red - red/green

In-Line Fuses situated behind air-filter on the bulkhead: -

15amp - Purple/Orange Wire
Hazard Warning & Interior Lamps

15amp - Brown/Orange Wire
Dim-Dip Lighting

10amp - Blue/Orange Wire
Rear Fog Guard Lamps

:gimme:

Edited by taffy1967, 26 September 2007 - 03:37 PM.

#10 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

Replacing the fusebox should be a piece of cake...

I might be stating the blindingly obvious here... but before you do it make a sketch of the wires coming in & out with the colours, and make a note of the fuse ratings on each, then you should be able to literally chop the wires and stick the new fuse box in & wire it back up. I do mean chop the wires too, if I were you I'd replace all the spade connectors (assuming they are spade connectors) by cutting back slightly on the wires. If you don't already have the tools & bits, halfrauds do small boxes of the connectors for a few quid, they also sell a basic crimping tool, think that's about £8, which I've found really useful :gimme:

I've got an aftermarket 6-bay fusebox... only 4 were in use, but I've run a new live from the starter via the fusebox to the radio... and a problem I encountered was that one of the bays is faulty... I wired it all up properly but couldn't get the radio to come on... then trial and error told me to take out the fuse, and the connectors either side, and try it in the final spare bay... and it worked. They can be funny little buggers sometimes especially if damp and corrosion has set in.

Oh and before you go buying one, check and see how many bays are occupied at the minute, and buy one with extra capacity, just to be on the safe side. I'll be replacing mine with an 8 bay when I get round to it I reckon.

#11 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

I found it easier to replace the hacked up one that was fitted to my sisters old Mini with an O/E fusebox. My first post above gives all the fuse ratings and wire colours too.

I've heard that it's a good idea to put some copper grease on the terminals on the rear of the fusebox. Then it shouldn't rust, especially if it's not sitting on the rubber backing that's provided with the sound deadening material.

I've still got the same O/E fusebox fitted to my Mini and it's not caused any grief. Mine will be 17 years old in November.

:gimme:

#12 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh yeah, copper grease is good. I used that on my new front indicators to stop corrosion. I keep forgetting to put it on wiring I'm replacing though :gimme:

#13 slick

slick

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

on the wiring you should use vasiline etc not copper grease,
copper grease should be used to stop the rust on metal to metal with no positive current going through it

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

So the Copper Grease has an adverse effect on electrics does it?

#15 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

I would suspect that the copper content in the copper grease could pass a current (not sure how much, though!), so smearing it on the back of the fusebox runs the risk of joining all your circuits together and also possibly bypassing the fuses - vaseline's definitely a better idea for the fusebox.

JR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users