170 replies to this topic

#151 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

As i said, ive decided to leave the engine build for a while. Ive started to get together some bits i need to get the car rolling.

Tonight i went over to coventry to fetch this.

Posted Image

Hopefully i should be able to get it mounted, so i can then work out exactly where i need the turrets to go, so i can mount the coilovers in the right place.

#152 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Today i fitted the TDK beam, it took me about 4 hours in total. A little longer than i expected, but i spent a while making sure it was millmetre perfect. I got it to within 0.5mm which i was pretty pleased with.

Holes drilled in the frame

Posted Image

Dave only supplied 2 small spreader plates (2.5"x3") with the frame which i didnt think were enough, or big enough. As it would only have allowed me to mount 2 bolts in each end.

So i made 4 more plates. Eventually using 12 bolts to mount the frame in 6 places along the heelboard. The pictures arent that great, but it gives you the idea :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

On another small note, decided to go in a different direction with the doors. The doors ive got are far too good to do it too. So ive got some perfect condition mpi doors, including all fittings and glass for sale. Im also on the lookout for a Drivers side door, with a perfect frame, not too concerned by the condition of the skin.

Mike

#153 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

berties gealous as is sean :thumbsup:

#154 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

berties gealous as is sean ;)

I am of people that have got rust free cars. I just seem to find more and more. :( Maybe i should have bought a fibreglass shell. :shifty:

Edited by RacingGreen, 28 September 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#155 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

I finished filling the holes in my GSXR TBs this week, and mounted them all up on the manifold. Im pretty pleased with the results. I just need the engine for them to go on now :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#156 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

I ordered the rear shocks so i can get the rear turrets in the right place and fitted to the car. I decided to go for AVO lowered

Posted Image

When i tried to fit the springs though i found a small problem.

Posted Image

The flange at the top of the shock did not locate in the recess in the top collar.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I phoned AVO and they basically said, just grind them down untill they fit. :lol: Wasnt really pleased with the quality of the response, but anyway.

Much better

Posted Image

#157 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Looking good Mike :lol: Loving the TB's!!. Just waiting till I've been paid so i can get some more bits for the XE :lol:. Have you decided what shell bearings to go for?

#158 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Looking good Mike :lol: Loving the TB's!!. Just waiting till I've been paid so i can get some more bits for the XE :lol:. Have you decided what shell bearings to go for?

Thanks Tom. :)

From reading various websites. Most people tend to recommend ACL's. Someone mentioned racers go for the shells from a 1.7D but im not sure on that one to be honest. I was just planning on going for their XE shells.

#159 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Same really, just wondered what you intended on using :lol: . Not sure on the 1.7D shells though :). Just one other Q :lol: - any ideas on how much work can be done to the head? I know SBD (i think) claim it flows well enough for something like 230bhp, but just wondered about port matching to manifolds etc. Done a bit of research but can't seem to find too much info.

Edited by HARBER07, 28 October 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#160 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, i couldn't really find much info on heads either. When i came to that stage i was going to research exactly what SBD do and if anyone else does the same/cheaper. I know QED don't do any machining anymore.

I was planning on going for some uprated cams. Bigger valves and see about making it flow as well as it can. I think thats a pretty expensive list, but im aiming for over 200bhp. So i think the head will need some mods to it.

Il let you know if i find anymore info out before you do. :lol:

#161 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Cheers Mike. I'm aiming for 200+bhp (eventually), so just kinda getting an idea of things. Was also looking at QED Q450 cams to start with, but could do with finding out issues with emissions @ MOT / IVA time, and pros / cons of different mechanical lifters.

Also, if you didn't already know, you cant fit uprated double springs to later heads, as they have a locating step at the bottom to locate the standard springs.

#162 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, i was planning on staying on hydraulic lifters, so not having to switch to mechanical ones. As for the Mot (im hoping on not having to go down the IVA route) i think it shouldn't be too crazy to make it un-mot-able.

Yeah, i did read somewhere about the later heads. My engine is out of an 89/90 car and its a coscast head. So im ok for the double valve springs i think.

#163 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

Yeah should be fine in that case :lol: Gotta get me a Coscast head at some point though. Would rather get one of them worked rather than a standard GM / KS head.

#164 Lotus man

Lotus man

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hiya...new to minis so haven't been able to add anything to the site really, I'm still in a learning mode.

However I know a bit about the good old VX lump so thought I'd have a post here, it may even be of use to you with a bit of luck :D

I love the project you're undertaking..top man with the heart of a lion to be honest, can't wait to see the finished beast. Really enjoyed reading the progress so far.

As for the VX, well at the moment I also have a Caterham Vauxhall HPC with a Swindon VX 16V motor in it, it is quite heavily modded and dry sumped but feel it may be overkill in a mini.

In my last 7 again another VX albeit a standard unit with 175bhp breathing through 45s I needed to get a few extra horses for the sprint championship I was languishing in :dontgetit:

I indeed opted for the cheap-ish route which was the QED 420H cam profile which was very well priced on an exchange basis with my originals.
This as you know retains the standard Hydraualic lifters and indeed are fitted without the use of verniers etc.

The big cost was the ECU to glean the most from the swap. I plumped for a 3D DTA unit as I have a friend who is very good at mapping them. I also bought the throttle potentiometer and uprated rod bolts from QED at the same time.........the latter is a must in my opinion.a bit of insurance.

Anyway upshot was it made 180 at the wheels at SGT rolling road in Northich as opposed to 160 beforehand.....well impressed for an outlay of less than a grand and reccomend that route as a starter.

Car drove like a dream and had NO flat spots. In a way it drove better than my current Swindon motor as this one is "cammy" and only really starts squashing your face after 5000 rpm,below that and the the other other car would easily match it.

One huge advantage you'll have over me (hopefully) is your induction set up. I assume your TB's will fire directly into the ports at 90 degrees. With the dog leg setup neccassary on the Caterham installation this is impossible without going to the huge expense of DTHTB's and remaking a bonnet for the exit of the induction.................this alone will give you extra power.......in the region of 20 bhp if you can get a straight run.

In the meantime go on to our club site "the Lotus 7 club of GB" and go on to Blatchat. Do a search on VX 16V and far cleverer guys than me will keep you more than interested in what they've done to their XE, some seriously knowlegable guys there on this subject.

All the very best,
Kenny

#165 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Many thanks for the input Kenny. Much appreciated. The QED 420 cams were the ones i was looking at. Did you do any other mods to the head apart from the cams.

Il have a look on the website. Although i do read through migweb, i get a little bored of "how do i fit an XE in my corsa" threads. So a website with alot of knowledgeable people would be good.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users