#76 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

I think you have your split rims built up incorrectly, you may need to look at them and reverse the centres??

#77 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

I think you have your split rims built up incorrectly, you may need to look at them and reverse the centres??

They are correct... why makes you think this?

#78 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

Little more work done this morning....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Nice pictures!

So why have different offsets?

#80 jeffanderson

jeffanderson

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Great project, PhotoguyUSA. Looks quite like what I have in the planning stage, albeit mine will likely be of the all-motor variety. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. As a fellow California resident, how are you going to register the 75? As you know, in CA registration is very hard for highly modified cars of 1976 production date and above, somewhat less so for 1968-1975, and darn easy for 1967 and older cars. My current solution is to find a 1967 or older car to (for all intents and purposes) use for the VIN and perhaps some parts -- I would then use a new BMH shell as the foundation. I suppose if Angus was currently registered when you bought him, you could be home free on future renewals, but I always worried that the CA legislature would change the rules again and subject 1968-1975 cars to the more rigorous standards. This possibility was one factor for me in selling my 1975 BMW 2002.

2. Given the obvious level of detail, quality and expense of your project, I would assume that you priced a "new shell" version of your project. If so, was it really more economical to go with a car like Angus and have all that prep and body work done over essentially building a new old car? Though I may be out to lunch, my thought has always been that with an extensive, exhaustive conversion such as yours, particularly one that uses the front and rear subframes and suspension offered by ZCars, there would be relatively few parts to be salvaged off an donor car. And many of those you'd probably opt for something more specialized anyway -- I'm thinking about items like door panels, etc. In the end, according to my thinking, the parts that could be reused would represent a small percentage of the overall cost, enough so that one might simply opt to buy new pieces. Clue me in, as you've obviously done your homework!

Keep us posted!

Jeff

#81 damager

damager

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys! I'm also in SoCal(Los Angeles). There's always loop holes in the system to register older cars. It's easier with our cars as most people don't and can't tell the difference between a 62 and a 98 mini haha.

I've been wanting to build up a track day mini too, but the exchange rate right now it so shitty that it would be a fortune to purchase the z-car setup or even the way less expensive (but still a lot for u.s. dollar) pro-motive r1 kit. Looks like the only option would be a front end v-tec conversion.

#82 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

Jeff,
The republic of California is making it harder and harder. One reason why I bought Angus as he was. Running.......I took the car down and registered it with no problems what so ever and it is RHD. Once registered your home free. 1975 is smog exempt so after you have it registered like you said it would take legislature to ruin your plans. If they do that I will register it as show only, which it really is anyway. Im not planning on driving it everyday but just to shows.

I thought about doing a new Heritage frame. Not much is used after the Zcars conversion except doors, glass, and steering rack (which I replaced anyway Angus's was shot) I didnt want to get new doors etc... but would it have been an easier way to go? Ya it would have. With a new shell you are sure that there are no problems, its straight, no rust, etc...

However, Angus was in pretty good shape. The hood I was replacing anyway. The boot I was replacing. Doors were good (still may replace with carbon fiber at some point) but the main thing is that everything else was good including the engine and subframes. I bought angus for $2500 sold the engine, subframes, wheels, tires, eetc... and ended up paying $500 for him in the long run. I could not have bought a Heritage shell with doors for less that $5000. And I learned an awful lot about the mini tearing him down and everything associated with that. Am I glad I went this way? I sure am but I could have easily gotten burned too. If you need more direction please feel free to PM or email me, Id be happy to tell you what I have learned and as well sources for parts.

#83 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

Im in Ventura Damager. If you want to take a look let me know. by the way the Promotive kit looks good as well but not as complete as a Zcars setup.

#84 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

markrally Posted May 3 2008, 07:26 PM

PhotoguyUSA Posted May 3 2008, 06:23 PM
The tires are the same size front and back just different offsets.

Have to agree with Mark, it looks like you've got hardly any inset on the rear and too much offset, surely that won't be good for the wheel bearings??

I'm all up for deep dish wheels but you have to retain the standard inset, Mini is about 4" iirc
Which would probably make your wheels 10" wide easy.

Looking very good though! Can't wait to see the bodykit :owned:

Les.

#85 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

They are 8" and they are set up correctly. They can only go one way.

Its purely a show car.

#86 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

wow shes got some girth, looking well nice tho mate keep it up :kiss:

#87 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Baldspeed.

I may be doing a pro-motive kit for a friend that has become envious of my Zcar.

The car is getting the custom turbo manifold and exhaust done and should be back in a week or two.

Edited by PhotoguyUSA, 09 May 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#88 Adamsm

Adamsm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

Its purely a show car.

Ouch, ill pretend I didn't read that.

Edited by Adamsm, 09 May 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#89 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

I thought it was quite common for RWD cars to have different widths or offsets at the back?

#90 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

Its very common. The pictures make it seem much more than it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users