• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:44 AM

I is gonna buy Mr. Juju a bass geetar as a pressie for finishing his Doctorate.
He's musically inept :lol: (as am I) but he's always wanted to learn the bass (he's a huge Les Claypool fan), so I thought I'd find him one, get him a few lessons & see how it goes. If he doesn't get on with it or my ears bleed, then I'll stick it on ebay. :withstupid:
But I know diddley about bass geetars. I don't want to spend a massive amount, but would like to get him summink half-decent. Any advice?

Juju-in-Australia-wiv-jet-lag-having-random-thoughts :P :rolleyes:

#2 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

I is gonna buy Mr. Juju a bass geetar as a pressie for finishing his Doctorate.
He's musically inept :lol: (as am I) but he's always wanted to learn the bass (he's a huge Les Claypool fan), so I thought I'd find him one, get him a few lessons & see how it goes. If he doesn't get on with it or my ears bleed, then I'll stick it on ebay. :rolleyes:
But I know diddley about bass geetars. I don't want to spend a massive amount, but would like to get him summink half-decent. Any advice?

Juju-in-Australia-wiv-jet-lag-having-random-thoughts :P :P

G'day! :withstupid:

I'm about as musically inept as you can get - but I know a lot of people who play in bands, or do this for a living. A couple of people I know in the USA swear by the Fender Precision (AKA P-bass) for a learner to use, and still be good enough for serious use too. Most important thing is to get a decent amp, best guitar in the world won't make up for a bad sounding amp. ;)

Hope this helps, but I'm sure some body who knows what they're talking about, will provide much better help. :P

SS

#3 Barnett

Barnett

Michael Jackson has died...*plop*

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
  • Local Club: the freeeeloader!!

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:19 AM

I know nothing about Geeetars either, but i did wonder where you was!!

Australia?? my dream....ill get there in the end!!

Sorry for going oooof topic...

Yeeeeehaaaaaaa back to Geeeeeetar!!!

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

you want to ask DJH he should be out of bed by 8:30 (midnight spamer)

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

In steps DJH... :withstupid:

Right, here's the score. If you're a first time bassist, there's no harm in starting at the cheaper end of the market ;) but obviously not too cheap like a £50 bass off of ebay because we bought one for a laugh at work, and they're very very crude. my first bass was a Washburn T14 which is a very good beginners bass, the cheapest i've found is £120 which is what i paid for mine, i thought it was a great bass for the money :rolleyes: nice smooth action, lovely fret board, with a lovely rich tone.

Posted Image

http://www.washburn....basses/t14.aspx <--- info :P

Now don't forget about the amp :lol: the Behringer BT 108 is a good practise amp to start with, at 15w that's plenty enough to hear it, but not deafen you and it only costs £44 :P

Posted Image

http://www.guitaramp...er-bt-108/68588 <--- info ;)

if you need anymore help or anything, just let me know :P

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

8:30 what did i tell you :lol:

#7 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Yep, Washburn make beeeautiful guitars.... even their cheapo ones are lovely!

The one I bought Sy was a limited edition (only 30 made in 2005) Padauk Washburn N4... it's so gorgeous!!

Anyway, back to bass guitars, I haven't got a clue, *puts on rubbish Aussie accent* sorry Sheila :withstupid: :lol:

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

if you have a local guitar shop, see what bass packages they do, i got a peavey milestone 3 with all the other stuff for not alot (it was a birthday prezzy so i dont know the exact cost)
iv taught myself, id be better than i am now but i havnt really played it in a while as im lazy and to play the songs i want, i need a 5 string in drop tune

#9 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

What DJH said. Also Washburn will hold its value and if he doesn't get on with it, you will nearly get your money back.

I recently sold all my music gear but kept a fender Jazz bass, Takamine electro-accoustic... Accoustic 12 string....... keyboard.... Pa System..... lots of speakers........ :lol: .... and my kids both have half sized fender strats and amps which i like to mess around with.

#10 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

GRRRRR!!! County council computers are so slow!!!!!!!

#11 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

I have a Decent Cheapish Crafter Bass, gets the job done, i Also Got an original Fender USA that rocks a les paul, fender Mexico and A tanglewood original Acoustic and trust me the Original fender is the best musical instrument you will every touch, proberly, and way looking back your talking about bass' so ive just killed another thread

#12 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

See i dotn like washburn. My first bass was a Peavy Milestone IV. Which for a beginner, it was perfick (as pa larkin would say)

I then moved up into the world of Squire, fenders junior company, which made a hell of a difference. It is such a nice bass. But then i managed to get my hands on a VERY swish Fender P-Jazz. The Fender range is "The mutts nutts" and they are just unbeleiveable. The sound quality is so much nicer, its deeper yet more crisp. All three basses were used on the same amp, but then i went and bought a very nice Orange 35bCrush amp which is a 120watt bass amp, it makes the floor tremble lol

But i would say, but a decent bass, and a decent amp. You will always get a good price if you stick it on ebay, but you dont want to be looking at paying loads.

Have a look here;

around about sound

They are a VERY good music shop, and know their stuff too. Not a franchise but a family run business.

#13 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:35 AM

And on the flip side, i can't stand fenders at all. not one of them i can say i like. :lol:

when you buy higher up basses £500 - £1900+ i'd never buy a fender, everyones got one :lol: for example i have a MusicMan at home, that cost less that a fender p, but the action, build quality and overall sound is much better than the fender. i urge people to go out there and try the alternatives like; Rickenbacker, MusicMan, Warwick, Status, Hofner, Hagstrom, Steinberger etc :lol:

Break the mold! :lol:

#14 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Musicman are very nice. I borrowed one for a few shows and they are very nice, but fenders are just amazing lol

#15 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

:lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users