• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_20

Matt_20

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Local Club: I want to join Kentish soon!

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys,

I have recently put my car on autotrader and now i have received this email in respone to one sent to the guy reaffirming the details and price of the car....

Here it is....

Hello
Thanks for your prompt mail.Regards to your mail
responce i'm still intrested in buying it over from
you.then i will like you to know that i went for a
serminal meeting in holland since last week that is
why i could not e_mail on time. I recite here in
ireland but my shipper will inspect it when he come
for the pick up after payment. And i will instruct my
P.A to send you a cheque payment that will cover the
shipping cost as well (£3,500). Pls i will be
counting on your trust to deduct your funds as soon as
you get the cheque cleared and transfer the balance of
(£2,600) through western union money transfer to my
shipper who will be comming for te pick up. Let me
have the Name that will be written on the cheque and
your residencial Address where the cheque will be send
to,also with your personal phone #.However i still
have more packages that my shipper will be shipping
along with the Car, So pls after the balance has been
transfer to my shipper,he will come to your
destination for the pick up and as well sign the
necessary document on my behalf.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John Edward

[END OF EMAIL]

Now.. to me this sounds dodgy, im not going to sell this person the car, and i beleive this person has phoned me about 15 times today, but i did not answer. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Matthew

#2 Major Burkenshaw

Major Burkenshaw

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton mini club

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I would say that sounds very Scam like. >_<

#3 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

If the same person is calling over and over you should answer it, it may be a genuine and desperate buyer! Scammers usually prefer email I thought?

That email does sound dodgy though, I think there are scammers who literally spend all their time replying to every car for sale :)

If he lives in Ireland I'm sure he can find a car for sale over there :( I think I'd always specify NO OVERSEAS BUYERS from now on if I sell a car! Never sold one myself yet, my dad sold my last one and the one before that was scrapped >_<

#4 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Its a con. >_<

#5 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

I would speak to him & find out a bit more. >_<

#6 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

So he's been in holland but then...

"I recite here in ireland but my shipper will inspect it when he come for the pick up after payment"

Does that mean he's back in Ireland?

Sounds very dodgy to me, do not accept any money or deals through Western Union, that's the service that the Nigerian Scammers try get you to use on eBay. Tell him that is it Cash or Paypal only, and that his "PA" is welcome to come and view the car but nothing will be released until you have the cash or Paypal money.

Forgot to add, why's he so eager to offer you money for a car he hasn't even seen? He's going to send his "shipper" to have a look at the car after he's bought it? What sort of shipping service goes and inspects cars for the recipient of the shipment? Unless it's a guy he knows who will ship it for him but it still sounds very dodgy.

A reasonable email would be one wanting to arrange a viewing and asking you if you will accept offers on the price, not one offering you a price straight up without seeing the car.

Edited by yorkshirechris, 01 December 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#7 Matt_20

Matt_20

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Im suspicious in that he's never seen the car and to buy the car, ( A fiat Seicento sporting) for £900, isnt really the biggest profit earner.

The whole transferring money and wanting to know my name, address, and personal hone number seems nearlly enough to creat a false bank account etc.

I think ill just tell him its sold...

#8 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:43 PM

Im suspicious in that he's never seen the car and to buy the car, ( A fiat Seicento sporting) for £900, isnt really the biggest profit earner.

The whole transferring money and wanting to know my name, address, and personal hone number seems nearlly enough to creat a false bank account etc.

I think ill just tell him its sold...

Firstly just ask him if he can pay through Paypal or Cash on Collection. Also ask him why hes willing to buy a car without seeing it.

He doesn't need to know your full name or home telephone number at all. It'll be an identity fraud phishing scam, you can tell him it's sold if you like but he might pester you when he sees it's still advertised for sale... if he isn't willing to Paypal or give you the Cash I'd just tell him that you're not prepared to sell to him.

#9 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

its a common scam, tell him to go and *******.

you'll pay in the cheque, give him £2600, then a few weeks later the cheque will bounce and you'll be £2600 out of pocket and still have the car sat on your drive.

#10 Matt_20

Matt_20

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

its a common scam, tell him to go and *******.

you'll pay in the cheque, give him £2600, then a few weeks later the cheque will bounce and you'll be £2600 out of pocket and still have the car sat on your drive.

Thats what i was thinking, i have forwarded it my colleagues at the email crime dept, so they may be able to do something, or add it to a list of people, or methods etc.

#11 sixwheeler

sixwheeler

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

I can't belive that you are having this converstation!

Oh, I just joined in >_<

Anyway, standard scam stupid email waste of time. What exactly is he reciting in Ireland: Shakespear, poetry? He did of course mean reside. You would have thought if these idiots were going to try and rip people off, they might at least try and do it with a bit more style and possibly learn english a bit better.

All I was going to say was, took me by surprise when my bank manager said it, is that the bank can boucnce cheques up to six MONTHS after they have been presented and otherwise cleared. Didn't go into the ins and outs of it at the time as had bigger fish to fry, so I have no idea in what circumstances that would happen. Also, in bankruptcy, payments that have been made can be reversed by the official reciever.

The moral of the above is, do not accept cheques for large sums of money in exchange for large expensive shiney things.

#12 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

SCAM! have some fun and play him for all its worth, but dont let that car out of you sight. Log onto the 419 coalition website and see all the fun amusing things you can do with these scammers....

ALL THE BEST XX KC

#13 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hey ya, just thought i would tell you that anyone who will only deal with you through Western Union will usually be dodge, the reason being there is no way of tracing the person who you are dealing with unlike paypal. My dad paid £5000 on ebay for two tickets to the rugby world cup final this year to a guy in Italy, two days later all contact was lost phone number out of use as was email, and there was no way of finding out who he was. Its like having an off shore account.

Rhys

#14 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

scam,scam,scam.
just ignore and he will go away!!!

#15 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

Its sounds like a scam to me, the same happened to my mates mum when she put her car on autotrader.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users