Pls i will be
counting on your trust to deduct your funds as soon as
you get the cheque cleared and transfer the balance of
(£2,600) through western union money transfer to my
shipper who will be comming for te pick up. Let me
have the Name that will be written on the cheque and
your residencial Address where the cheque will be send
to,also with your personal phone #.

...is a common 419er style scam. Basically what happens is the cheque is a fake / stolen and will bounce OR the cheque will clear......but the money will be recovered as "fraudulent" transfer, but ony AFTER the "shipper" has picked up the car, and the "balance" of the money you sent on will still be gone from your account.

So, in other words - you just PAID the guy to STEAL YOUR CAR! >_<

You might find a bit of luck by passing on the details to one of the members on some of the scam baiting websites - who want's to bet the scammer has a box of broken pub urinals sent out to him in Lagos? :(

SS

#18 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

This is the same scammer who lists american muscle cars on eBay almost every day for a fraction of their true value....

He is even using the same names each time, and uses being in Ireland or Holland, or selling because of a family tragedy, in his excuses as to why you can't view the vehicles before you buy....

Different tact here, trying t use the 'buying scam' rather than selling, but it's definitely the same person/group of people... Steer well clear and try to report him to Autotrader, as I think eBay have managed to ban his activity on there for now at least!

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

It's really not worth reporting this to anybody, your own E-mail crime dept or Auto Trader or anybody. This is a world famous scam that's been running for years. There used to be stickies at the top of this section warning about this scam, I don't know where they've gone. In short there is nothing anyone can or will do about it and I'm amazed so many people on here appear to have not heard about it. It's the Nigerian Western Union money scam. They won't nick your car, they don't want it and aren't interested in it at all. Notice the E-mail says they won't be coming to inspect it until after the payments have been made. These scams are run from internet cafes in Nigeria and they target about 30% of the cars sold through web advertising in Britain, mainly cars considered to be cheaper classic or collectors models because an international buyer is more plausible and they tend to be being sold by younger people who are selling on their first car. They use Western Union because Western Union money transfers can be withdrawn from your account by the person who sent you the money up to 7 days after you clear it without your permission. I'm surprised they said they'd send you a cheque because this normally works the other way around, they send you the money by Western Union and then want you to make a transfer to their shipper's bank account which is normally a numbered account somewhere that is untraceable. Once your cash has cleared they cancel the Western Union and you never hear from or see them again. There is no shipper. It's been done this way for a good eight years now and they always present the same story or something very similar. There's always a shipper and they always require you to pay for the shipping on their behalf because that's what they are really after. It's not identity or car theft, it's just old fashioned robbery. They may now have a sideline selling the identity details on to others though according to recent investigations.

Just ignore it, don't E-mail them any more, get the phone company to block the incoming calls and have nothing more to do with them. Don't tell them anything. They will just go and pick on someone else once you start ignoring them, after all there will be a room full of guys each doing the same thing to several different people at the same time all working for the same person and they won't be that bothered with tracking you down when they've got other fish to fry.

#20 Davis

Davis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Local Club: Midlands

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

there are that kinda people about. if he rings again, answer and abuse the mo fo

Edited by Davis, 15 December 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#21 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

Anyway, standard scam stupid email waste of time. What exactly is he reciting in Ireland: Shakespear, poetry? He did of course mean reside. You would have thought if these idiots were going to try and rip people off, they might at least try and do it with a bit more style and possibly learn english a bit better.

Not meaning to offend anyone but its because there forigeners trying to steal from us when we have let them into our country but anyway, thats a different arguement.

#22 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Anyway, standard scam stupid email waste of time. What exactly is he reciting in Ireland: Shakespear, poetry? He did of course mean reside. You would have thought if these idiots were going to try and rip people off, they might at least try and do it with a bit more style and possibly learn english a bit better.

Not meaning to offend anyone but its because there forigeners trying to steal from us when we have let them into our country but anyway, thats a different arguement.

So englishmen never try to scam other englishmen then..... I dont see what a nigerain scam has to do with immigrants but obviously im not seeing things with your perception.

#23 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

There's a new banking code that came into force last week, they guarentee that if a cheque has not bounced for either being fraudulant or stolen etc. in 6 days then you will keep the money & they will stand the loss. You'd have to be a brave person to test it out though, I would trust the scammer as much as I would a banker.

Alan...
p.s. IASIAAS
p.p.s. Just in case you hadn't realised it's a SCAM it's always a SCAM

#24 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

I might not be mistic meg but....he cancels the cheque :(

#25 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

its a scam

just email him back cash on collection and you will never here from him again

If you can, contact him through auto trader or ebay - try not to disclose your email address.

Edited by dave20046, 16 December 2007 - 06:13 PM.

#26 aussie

aussie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

yeah i had the same thing with a guy named jm kawode. *nigerian name) HE WANTED TO GIVE ME 5000 for mine that i was asking 1200 for the whole western union transfer and all. its C**p. if he was a real buyer he would arrange shipment and do a money transfer. dodge it mate.

#27 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

I've had this on car's I've been trying to sell, which is annoying when they just use the Buy It Now option... And I've also had it on smaller stuff such as mobile phones... Very annoying!

#28 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Email is definately a scam but the caller may not!

I had some similar emails (and still do!) about a Swift GTi I was selling.

I also started getting calls from a very strange number (started 35!) The called turned out to be a lad from Northern Ireland who flew over the next morning, rented a car, drove down with a friend, paid me full asking price, in pounds sterling and took the car away.

Never heard a peep since.

So stranger things have happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users