Any one got any advice on the compressor? :o

#17 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Just like to say it's a pleasure & a privilege to eavesdrop on two skilled, grown-up guys discussing materials and techniques, recognising each other's different preferences and abilities without any "I'm more experienced than you" tosh. Cheers, fellas :o

#18 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

I agree regarding waterbase, it's a complete pain to use, drying times are rubbish, and it is very difficult to re-work if there are scratches that have been missed or you get dust in the base etc. It seems the legislation was rushed and it's been underdeveloped. Ah well we'll have no choice after around the middle of next year, it will be illegal to produce solvent based paints after the 1st of January, and so after everything has run out, there will be no more! tinters are already running low, for example Lechler 81 Black basecoat tinter has gone, I have one tin left at work, after that's gone we'll pretty much have to stop using the scheme! seems such a waste.

I think the classic car rule will only apply to cellulose paints, and not 2K.

#19 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Oh and compressor wise, I wouldn't go below a 2.5 hp unit, they tend to run out of puff below that.

#20 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

grown-up guys. 'Im more experienced than you' tosh.

Im only 18!! Im still a kid, honest! :teehee:

And PBP is far more experienced than me!

I agree regarding waterbase, it's a complete pain to use, drying times are rubbish, and it is very difficult to re-work if there are scratches that have been missed or you get dust in the base etc. It seems the legislation was rushed and it's been underdeveloped. Ah well we'll have no choice after around the middle of next year, it will be illegal to produce solvent based paints after the 1st of January, and so after everything has run out, there will be no more! tinters are already running low, for example Lechler 81 Black basecoat tinter has gone, I have one tin left at work, after that's gone we'll pretty much have to stop using the scheme! seems such a waste.

I think the classic car rule will only apply to cellulose paints, and not 2K.

Saying that, there are quite a few colours our suppliers are struggling to mix, being a few grams short to mix it.

I dont fore-see water based taking off in anyway apart from huge bodyshops or manufacturers, it just makes the job so much harder. Small localised repairs that could be painted with heat and be out within half an hour are still in the booth hours after, still not properly dry.

Interesting what you say about the classic car thing. We were assured it was 2K? Seems strange. Either way, we are very impressed with the new High Solids paint, and now we are getting the hang of using it, the jobs are getting better and better. Also use alot less, so the cost kind of evens out.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread anyway mate! Cant say I know much about compressors apart from the one at work is huuuuuuuuge, and still kicks in when doing full repaints!

Good luck if your attempting a home paint job, let us see how it goes!

Edited by jack_marshall, 09 December 2007 - 12:16 AM.

#21 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Oh and compressor wise, I wouldn't go below a 2.5 hp unit, they tend to run out of puff below that.

I dunno what hp it is :teehee: all I know is safe working pressure is 100 psi-what do you think to that?

#22 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hmm I don't know. Should be ok I guess, it should say the HP on it somewhere, on a plate or sticker.

#23 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

my local paint supplier says that it is only the hardener that has to change and that 2k paint will still be available who is RIGHT?

#24 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

Hmm pretty sure that's not correct, it's the high VOC content in the 2k that is causing the change, and they exist in everything.

#25 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

I heard not even decent thinners will be available. Panelbeater what kinda spec gun am I looking at for a compressor of that power or could you recommend on if possible? I had a look on the back and the label just says capacity 1.8l , max 140 psi, max safe working pressure 100psi voltage 220-240v

Edited by dave20046, 09 December 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#26 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

:)

#27 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hmm could do with some expert advice... :thumbsup:

Edited by dave20046, 11 December 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#28 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

Yo! going by that, a devilbiss Gti would be fine, one with a 1.4 setup would be best suited, good for base, lacquer and clearcoat, could even use it for primer if you cleaned it out very thoroughly afterwards. You do get much cheaper guns, but the quality is usually quite poor, and not worth thinking about!

#29 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yo! going by that, a devilbiss Gti would be fine, one with a 1.4 setup would be best suited, good for base, lacquer and clearcoat, could even use it for primer if you cleaned it out very thoroughly afterwards. You do get much cheaper guns, but the quality is usually quite poor, and not worth thinking about!

:) thanks for the advice, but I just googled it and I really cannot afford that at over £100 :shifty: Any other suggestions? I take it the £20 'professional' ones from machine mart will be no good then / not up to the job.

#30 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Hmmm just spoke to a bloke and he reckons my compressor is the old box type portable kind which'd need a low pressure constant flow gun or a valve to let off the pressure build up. But I went into machine mart to enquire and the guy reckoned that'd leave an awful finish and said definitely don't do the final coat in it. So looks like i'm going to have to either rent or borrow a compressor >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users