#31 Tom Booth

Tom Booth

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis.co.uk

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

:thumbsup: The man that tries to bail from his car in the pile up video is hilarious.

Edit, thought I may aswell add something constructive.

When it snowed bad up here last year, I went out in my clio, just to see what driving in bad conditions was like. An I can honestly say it was horrible, Took me an hour to get to my girlfriends when it usually takes 15 mins. Was a good experience thou, Deffinatley engine brakign is the way to drive in those conditions, and on cambered roads, try and stay as central as possible, The further to the edge you go you just end up sliding into the curb. Haha.

Be carefull everyone!

Edited by Tom Booth, 17 December 2007 - 03:33 PM.

#32 strebblo

strebblo

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

...I'm amazed that people aren't able to get the essential foodstuffs in a city by simply walking down to the store... you know, using your Mk1 legs & feet.

Are you serious? In america?! :D

Is there someway of sending a PM to every member on TMF to warn about the dangers of this time of year?

There is, but common sense also there is (in a yoda stylee voice) - do we start sending out messages to use suncream when the next heatwave hits, or tell everyone to wrap up a bit when it gets a bit chilley, or to get the washing in when it looks like rain?

If you can use a search engine, then you can find all the information you could ever need about driving in winter. My advice would be to go gently on a few roads you know and test the limits a little - for example on a nice iced up straight, try your brakes out,first gently, then with a bit of gentle steering, then maybe lock the wheels a little, all so that you know what happens when you do xyz..

You don't have to just guess it every time you go out. Whenever the conditions change I'll jump on the brakes quickly if the road is clear, or take a few gentle left/right's to see how heavy/light the steering is. Just to see how the car reacts and how much grip there is, and you can then drive accordingly. Because it's no good getting out on the road and saying 'ooh, it's covered in snow, so I'll just go really slowly and be careful' - yes by all means do that but after you know that if you go around an icy/snowy corner you'll know what speend is safe, and what isn't. Of course lots of people will say just don't take any chances, but in my opinion that just makes you scared and inexperienced driver.

Enjoy it I say! Brr!

#33 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

(in a yoda stylee voice)

I read your whole reply in a Yoda style voice! :D :P :P

Edited by Mini_Magic, 17 December 2007 - 05:21 PM.

#34 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

To be honest, I don't think you can entirely blame the American drivers in that video. You can hardly blame someone for the consequences of ICE and gravity! BUT, I would hope that common sense would previal in most drivers so that they wouldn't have attempted to go down a steep hill in those conditions in the first place!

#35 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

but then again if thats the only way to get to a certain area then i couldnt blame them at all.

but you would have presumed someone would have the common sence to springle some road salt on the road to prevent further accidents

#36 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

but then again if thats the only way to get to a certain area then i couldnt blame them at all.

but you would have presumed someone would have the common sence to springle some road salt on the road to prevent further accidents

Oo, springle... sounds tasty >_< hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users