• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Got an email today from a bloke i sold an ipod interface to,

click for listing

Dear screech_20,

Hello, I wanted to let you know, that the ice link I purchased from you is not for VW/SEAT/AUDI.

Since I got it I have not been able to get it working so I decided to email dension with all the details of the ice link. They told me that the even though the harness is correct, the firmware on the hardware, i.e the black rectangular bit, is incorrect.

The firmware on the ice link is 2.B1 which is specifically for BMW and MINI.

The problem I have is that I am stuck with an ice link that does not work with my car. I do not blame you as you MAY not have known it had the incorrect hardware.

I will be forwarding you th email I got from dension.
I will also be talking to ebay in regards to where I stand in this situation.
I will be persuing to get my money back, which I hope you will understand as my situation is such.

I feel a little cheated, even though it may not be your error I have still paid for an item that does not work.

Thanks for your time.

Thing is, he left me really good feedback, ages ago.

Where do i stand??

Cheers

Mark.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

Not sure where you stand really. Its harsh that the shop sold you something that isn't as described!

Unfortunately if he does persue a claim through Ebay/Payal, he'll probably win, Ebay usually sides with the buyer.

#3 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

i dont think anything will happen, as they have already left feedback.

its their fault for not checking the item when they got it.

where did you get it from?

i would just tell him to sell it on

adam

EDIT: close your paypal account quickly :genius:

Edited by stardude, 14 December 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#4 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Its harsh that the shop sold you something that isn't as described!

But to be honest, if you read the listing, it is as described

The box has a sticker on the side saying 'ICE LINK PLUS VW / AUDI / SEAT.

which is did!

#5 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Its harsh that the shop sold you something that isn't as described!

But to be honest, if you read the listing, it is as described

The box has a sticker on the side saying 'ICE LINK PLUS VW / AUDI / SEAT.

which is did!

According to eBay rules, you are technically in the right because it is as described. You haven't said it works with what the box says, but I'm guessing they'll side with the buyer.

#6 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thats wht i thought, plus with him leaving the feedback surely he has no leg to stand on??

Grrrr so annoyed lol.

Mark

#7 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Just tell him to update the firmware - BUT ONLY if you don't intend to have it returned, as you could end up with a bricked device if he doesn't do it properly. Not too likely to happen, but you never know what stupid things some people will do... :genius:

A quick google search reveals:

Solution:
You can reconfigure head unit type any time. Download and copy Configuration Clear file to iPod, disconnect from the PC and start playing. While iPod is playing silently the file, connect iPod to ice>Link Plus. Current configuration will be deleted and you can reconfigure ice>Link Plus as instructed at the ice>Link Plus Reconfiguration page.

You may need a new cable set to connect ice>Link Plus to another head unit.

Link:

http://support.densi.../...oot=8&id=40

Ipod file:

(right click - "save as")

Ice link config page:

http://install.densi...installil2.html

He allready has the correct cables (as he said in the email), so he's all set to go.

SS

Edited by Silicon Skum, 14 December 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#8 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

Did you offer a returns policy on the item? Then again the returns policy only counts if the buyer isn't happy, even if you didn't offer one I still think the buyer has rights if the item described isn't the one they got, whether that was your fault or not.

You could request that he posts it back to you at his expense... and then when you have it back, refund him the cost of the item including the postage you paid to send it to him.

That's the fairest way of doing it, as long as you can convince him that you thought the item was as described. If he suspects you've conned him then he'll take it to eBay and you'll end up out of pocket, probably without the item either if he isn't willing to send it back to you.

I had a similar problem with a telephone extension kit I sold not long ago. I buy them in in packs, and sell them on, and to be honest I didn't open any of the packs to check the quality. I put my number on the reciept with the item and a woman called me up saying it wasn't working. Talked her through everything and she couldn't get it to work.

The item was only £6.85 including postage but for the sake of losing a few quid I had to go out and buy some proper cable, sent her it and told her to try that and see if it works. Luckily it did, I actually lost out on the transaction but I got positive feedback and didn't get anything actioned against me so that's the main thing. And needless to say I've stopped selling those damn cheap and nasty kits!

#9 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

Thats wht i thought, plus with him leaving the feedback surely he has no leg to stand on??

What does his feedback actually say? If it doesn't say 'product as described/as stated' or 'very happy with product' or something along those lines, then he hasn't confirmed that the item meets the description so you can't count it as ammunition for you.

Best thing to do is say to him you'll accept it back if he pays the postage and you'll refund him when you get the item back in the condition it was posted.

#10 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

feedback quote: Fantastic! excellent product, as described,quick postage. great ebayer!

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I don't think he has any room to complain, you acted in good faith and he can follow Skum's advice to get it to work. You could take it up with the retailer if they sold it to you as suitable for a VW but I'd leave it up to him to return it to them.

I doubt any warranty would be transferable in any case.

Edited by Ethel, 15 December 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#12 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

He closed the case! :thumbsup:

#13 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:13 AM

good news :thumbsup: to be honest thou he had no room to comment, the item is exactly as described, at no point did you say it was for thousse makes just just said thats what the sticker says.....witch it does so your fine :)

#14 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

I personally don't think he had a leg to stand on. The item was as described. You only stated what the box ssaid, not what the contense worked on.

Pleased for you that he closed the case, :thumbsup: he probably ended up just changing the firmware on it.

#15 mineeeeee

mineeeeee

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: me and my mini

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

He wont have a leg to stnd on with ebay.

Two years ago i paid £20 for the Sims on ebay for my son described as new and unused,
it did not work and as the seller would not reply i opened a case with ebay for a refund.
After 30 days thay came back to me and said there is no case to answer as the seller never said it did work.

hows that for ebay looking after buyers interests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users