#91 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well progress has been slow.

Firstly there was disaster as while the makeshift Gazebo weathered most of the storms, it couldn't hold up to the gale force winds and I had to take it down as it died a horrible pole bending death.

Posted Image

On the plus side I have removed the rear subframe,

Posted Image

Ran my new fuel lines, cleaned up the radius arms, gave the pads and drums a going over with some sand paper, fitted my new red dot cones and put it all back together. Rear subframe is back on and just waiting for me to grease the nipples!

Also picked up an Allspeed subframe, tie bars, bottom arms, heavy duty CV's and driveshafts from Dodger so I can start building that up ready to go in the front. Firstly need to offer it up so that I can get the strengthening plates welded in.

#92 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Little more progress

I finished off the rear subframe at the weekend. Gave it a clean and regreased stuff etc. Also fitted my rear red dot cones.

While I'm waiting for the weekend to get the welding done I started to take a quick glance at the wiring.

This is what I have so far firstly what I believe to be the Minitec setup

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of connectors and I have no idea what any of them do!!!!

And what I believe to be an engine loom ready to go but as we all know things are never this easy so much more research is needed!

Posted Image

Dont suppose anybody has a wiring diagram knocking around do they?. Ive got a Haynes on order but it hasnt arrived yet!

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 03 July 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#93 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Not much gone on this week. got the Honda lump out of the garage to give it a look over and check a few things

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some good news!!! (Apart form the knackered bearing you can see in the middle)

Posted Image

And some more good news!!!!

Posted Image

Question can any body tell me if this mount is the correct one and I'm having a tough time trying to find an engine mount to fit it?

Posted Image

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 11 July 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#94 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

Have you got the two studs for that engine mount pedestal, not sure why theres two bolts in there?

Like this (minus the washers!)

Posted Image

#95 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi Kam

Yeah should have them somewhere the two bolts were just stuck in there so I didnt lose them lol!

Need to source another one of these studs actually as I only have two on the gearbox side! Doh

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 05 August 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#96 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Need a to source another on of thise studs actually as I only have two on the gearbox side! Doh

I had only one stud and two bolts on the gearbox end, I just put three bolts in instead, no issues

#97 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Quick update!

Firstly thanks to Kam for posting me the engine mount needed and thanks to my mate Liam for giving me a hand to get the engine in!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It will probably have to come out again for like 100 different reasons but it feels good to know its been in once!!!!

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 24 July 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#98 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi did you manage to get in contact with Chris about altering ur manifold ?

#99 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Big moment when you first drop the lump in, looks at home with loadsa room to spare....

Keep at it, looking good

#100 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi did you manage to get in contact with Chris about altering ur manifold ?

Hi Paul

Yes I did thankyou. I posted it to him and its with him at the moment so will have to wait until it comes back to see if it fits or not. Thanks for the contact details.

#101 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Big moment when you first drop the lump in, looks at home with loadsa room to spare....

Keep at it, looking good

Heh Kam

Yeah it kinda was, makes you feel like your making progress!! Just deciding now if I can fit the exhaust fanimold without dropping the frame and engine back out? If so then I dont see any reason for the moment why they will need to come out again?

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 05 August 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#102 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Difficult...

Passing up the manifold won't be hard but pulling it out far enough to pass over the studs will be, I very much doubt you can

Also you need to put on the front bar after, I think from my clubman days the front bar was pretty much touching the front panel, so you might have to lift the body up again - easier said then done :( but fair play to you though

Oh and I'll have a look and see what hoses I got here, got some weird and wonderful ones...

#103 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Difficult...

Passing up the manifold won't be hard but pulling it out far enough to pass over the studs will be, I very much doubt you can

Also you need to put on the front bar after, I think from my clubman days the front bar was pretty much touching the front panel, so you might have to lift the body up again - easier said then done :( but fair play to you though

Oh and I'll have a look and see what hoses I got here, got some weird and wonderful ones...

Cheers Kam

Well I've been having a play with the stock Honda exhaust manfold today and do you know what; it almost fits. Only issue I have is that the bottom section is too big and fat looks like Honda encased it a bit extra.

Now I have a fixed front end so fitting it was always going to be a pain in the peach. Ive come across the following on eBay which might just do the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVI...item3368b1ad15

Now it has the two piece split that I need because the header has to go in from the top and then the bottom section can come in from the bottom.

But with it not being a brand name, etc do you think I am just asking for trouble?

Also with regards to the front bar your absolutly correct. I put the clubman bar in today and it doesnt fit. It touches the front panel so I can either redrill the holes a little further up or use the roundnose bar I have instead?

#104 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I don't think you can't use that allspeed roundnose front bar unless your manifold comes in super tight against the block further down, my manifold at the furthest point sticks out a max of 95mm from the head and then starts to taper in, 95mm is some seriously hugging going ons...

Worse thing with a manifold is it rusting and looking a bit sorry for itself when you lift the bonnet but only if that sort of thing bothers you, and unless you know it fits precisely you might need to get one to experiment with...

#105 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Spoke to Chris today he's got my manifold at his and he's going to make a jig and do it the same angle as that so hopefully it should all fit yours

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users