59 replies to this topic

#16 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

First question, how much are you putting in to a 'full' tank? You'd be amazed how many people seem to think you can only fit 20 litres into a Mini, or even less. It should take around 30 to 32 litres to fill it from when it's pretty empty but still perfectly driveable. It's a 34 litre tank. Work out your economy by using your fuel receipts and your odometer, not by some vague idea of a full tank.

:proud: you are correct I have made a mistake straight off. Just worked it out I am getting just under 20MPG

#17 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

Do you drive mostly motorways or mostly around town?

#18 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Do you drive mostly motorways or mostly around town?

Mostly round town.

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

You should probably be getting high 30s to low 40s then if you don't drive with a lead foot.

Edited by Dan, 01 January 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#20 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm not 100% sure what it would be
but dont forget town driving does use more fuel than motorway driving from stopping and starting so much
i had the same problem with my mini but when she had a good service, changed air filter, and changed the mixture it seemed to sort it out

#21 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

but dont forget town driving does use more fuel than motorway driving from stopping and starting so much

Mine's kind of the opposite, i got about 100 miles motorway driving from a full tank (well when the pump clicks repeatedly and just wont let anymore in!) and when i got back i was well into the red! Around town a full tank lasts me more than that if i drive gently!

#22 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, it's only more economical to sit at one speed if that's the most efficient speed for the engine and the aerodynamics and gearing have a big effect on that. The most efficient speed for most Minis (excluding the City E gearing I believe) is around 55 MPH, so on a motorway you don't get the same efficiency as you do with a car that could drop into a higher gear at motorway speeds or one that slips through the air more elegantly than a garden shed unlike the Mini.

#23 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

You should probably be getting high 30s to low 40s then if you don't drive with a lead foot.

Cheers everyone, been a great help!

Will have to find a rolling road locally I think and double check everything again to see if there is anything stupidly obvious.

Cheers
Dan

#24 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

i only get 13mpg :) :) lol need to sort that at some point

#25 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

First question, how much are you putting in to a 'full' tank? You'd be amazed how many people seem to think you can only fit 20 litres into a Mini, or even less. It should take around 30 to 32 litres to fill it from when it's pretty empty but still perfectly driveable. It's a 34 litre tank. Work out your economy by using your fuel receipts and your odometer, not by some vague idea of a full tank.

Surely not all minis are 34 litre tank? ive run out of petrol before by a morrisons. i completely cut out so pushed it into the petrol station filled up from as empty as empty can be the stupid pump didnt click off so it wover flowed all down the side of the car and my foot, and that was only 24litres.....

#26 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

you may have the smaller tank, 5.5 gallon is it?

#27 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

you may have the smaller tank, 5.5 gallon is it?

Yeah I think the smaller tank is 5.5 gallon

#28 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

There are two sized tanks, 5.5 gallons and 7.5. Only really early minis had 5.5 gallon, and I believe they are actually getting a touch rare, although you can usually find a couple at shows. I think Mk3 onwards had 7.5 gallon tanks.

If the petrol tank sticks out further than the side of the bootlid, then you have a 7.5 gallon tank.

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I think the big tank started out on the 1275GT (replacement of twins on S's ). Don't think they became standard till the 80's.

#30 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

I'm sure my '76 Clubby came with a 7.5 gallon tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users