#1141 gdcarpenter

gdcarpenter

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:09 AM

Yet another take on a center console.

Relocated the existing stereo head to underside of matrix, dropping it far back and down enough to maintain existing vent outlet.
One photo shows left side placed on right to double check fit, and you can see grooves cut for bottom and below stereo panels.
Used some leftover 6mm/1/4" Okume veneer marine ply I had leftover, applied some ebony stain and a couple coats of marine varnish.
Tapped into reverse light circuit to steal ign. sworched power run through 5 amp in line fuse to power double cigarettelighters, one for GPS and one for either light shown or dual USB adapter.
My IPhone 10 fits in there as well.

Attached Files

#1142 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:37 AM

Yet another take on a center console.

I can't get on with those sort of consoles as you then can't place your foot to the left of the clutch pedal but at the same time I like what you're trying to do there.

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 20 August 2022 - 08:18 AM.

#1143 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:37 PM

Mocked up my latest dash, based on an old rookie one I picked up cheap on eBay (there is water damage to deal with at some point, might try some new veiner)

Attached Files

#1144 tommy boy

tommy boy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

I know its an old piccy, but anyone know who makes this dash panel. I have one fitted and i am looking for the lower section . Anybody got one . Condition immaterial really because I can repair it.

Best pic I have of mine at the moment. Smudger was selling these, but he's now dropped off the face of the earth. So I'm thinking of going and getting a mould took off this one before I go cutting any more holes in it. :shifty:

CIMG1009Medium.jpg

#1145 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:18 PM

Nowhere near finished yet but coming along well I think. I’ve made my own smiths clock for the middle, really having trouble printing the exact same colour as the gauges. to be honest it looks a much better match in real life. Anybody know where I could get something like that printed specifically?

Attached Files

Edited by Joshwa457, 07 April 2021 - 07:18 PM.

#1146 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:47 PM

That looks fantastic!!

Whats behind? Black fabric?

Nowhere near finished yet but coming along well I think. I’ve made my own smiths clock for the middle, really having trouble printing the exact same colour as the gauges. to be honest it looks a much better match in real life. Anybody know where I could get something like that printed specifically?

#1147 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

No, it’s closed cell foam, about 13mm thick. I thought I’d cut some and give it a whirl as a test and it came out unbelievably well. Like really really well! Doubles up as some super sound deadening also so it’s a win win!

Attached Files

Edited by Joshwa457, 07 April 2021 - 08:51 PM.

#1148 Sam Biscuits

Sam Biscuits

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

Could try a high res photo of the smiths colour and use digital colour meter (Macs have one on the OS). This'll give you the RGB values to create and print a similar colour. Though the material you're printing on would affect it.

I'm sure there's a guy/company that make custom Smiths magnolia faces but I can't remember the name. 

#1149 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

Couple of changes.... couldn’t fit a radio in the centre console because of the size of the heater so that’s been swapped with the switches (there’s a chrome vintage type radio being fitted, not the black on in the pic). Finished the trimming on the console in the same colour the seats will be. Just the wiring to sort next! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attached Files

#1150 stevewes

stevewes

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:18 PM

Some pictures of mine - still a work in progress but nearing completion.  I'd thought long and hard about what to do with the dash in my car (which currently has the modern twin binnacle ahead of the driver).  Keen to have an open shelf / central binnacle but wanted something a little different.  Then I saw a picture of a coachbuilt Mini from the 60's with a custom oval dash and realised you could push an 80mm Smiths Speedo / Tacho to each side and put the minor gauges in the middle.  A company called The Arc Angels makes a central oval binnacle with a blank face so I bought one of these, drilled some holes and mocked it up to make sure everything fits:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Then stripped it back down for painting using crinkle paint which goes on looking smooth but dries to a texture very like an original binnacle:

Reassembled everything once it had dried for a couple of days:

So that I could complete the wiring loom:

Still to do before final fitting to car:

- fix Tacho which is wildly over-reading;

- possibly calibrate Speedo (not tried it yet to see if this will be needed);

- file hole for central tell-tale which is not sitting quite in line.

Hope to be installed next weekend!

#1151 bluequinn

bluequinn

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 09:12 AM

Has anyone got any idea what the dashboard is in this YouTube video from 10 years ago?

The Mini in question was filmed in Portugal.

Seems like the dash leaves the bottom shelf uncovered, and has a cutout section for a radio.

Attached Files

#1152 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 21 October 2023 - 07:20 PM

I’ve seen that one called a “Broadspeed” dash. There’s some examples earlier in the thread if you search

#1153 bluequinn

bluequinn

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:19 AM

French company BAAK Motorcycles do some rather nice leather and cast aluminium pieces for Minis, including the dashboard trims shown in this picture.

I've no idea why they decided only to do 3 button holes though. They must need you to relocate the brake test switch to the other side.

https://www.baakmoto.../13-austin-mini

platine-de-boutons-centrale-pour-austin-

#1154 bluequinn

bluequinn

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:50 AM

I’ve seen that one called a “Broadspeed” dash. There’s some examples earlier in the thread if you search

Thanks. Not quite the right answer but it got me close, and I found them.

They are sold in Portugal as the "Speedwell" dashboard. 

https://minishop-por...h=59_198&page=2

000000014-1024x768.jpg

#1155 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:06 PM

Thanks. Not quite the right answer but it got me close, and I found them.

They are sold in Portugal as the "Speedwell" dashboard.
https://minishop-por...h=59_198&page=2

000000014-1024x768.jpg
Sorry it’s hard to share photos from a phone sometimes - here’s an example
http://www.mk1-forum...opic.php?t=2264

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users