150 replies to this topic

#16 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

i feel i should post this quote from a mini mag staff member from another topic that touched on this subject.

and please, it not just about mini mag, there are loads of examples i could have used

I'm sure a bus driver is not paid very much but you'd be peed off if he crashed the bus :crazy: (yeah yeah, i know, this is not as important as a crashed bus)

did you not read the bit where i said people who think I'm being anal should close the topic ?? (large text alert !!!!)

hi guys, we do try and get it right, the recent Innocenti and Moke guides have been checked and verified by the relevant registers, but Anorak, please do drop me a line and although we cant reprint, I can ensure more thorough checking is done.

No I dont think we've done a pick-up yet, I'll post a list of ones we've covered on Monday.

As for our knowledge, we've always been honest about our experience - Jeff and Mark are the most knowledgable, while new boy Daz (designer) will admit he doesnt know much about them but is learning - and I'm in the 'better than the average joe' category (not including Mini enthusiasts) but then neither Daz and I write technical articles. And the rest is by freelancers who should know what they're talking about.

And as for asking clubs, we're constantly appealing for interaction with clubs, but people need to get in contact

Hope that helps

Cheers

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,457 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

I would say, for the benefit of anyone who thinks Anorak's been a bit anal:
I imagine you'd think it mattered quite a bit if you'd just paid out to advertise your car for sale and a potential buyer turned up armed with this mag wondering where the oil cooler and tinted glass was.

#18 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

i think more research could have been done. Just annoyed at the level of moaning, i mean, to be writing that much about one thing, where only the line

"i think more reseach should have gone into the mainstream cooper article"

just had to be written. Maybe the editor at mini mag could help you out with your editing skills, reduce ur post sizes a little :crazy: lol.

#19 Mini Jill

Mini Jill

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local Club: Mighty Mini Maniacs

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'll probably just get a letter from their solicitor :crazy: :thumbsup:

Do you really think they are intested in what you have to say :(

#20 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

Yes I love your work too Anorak and my heart did sink a fair bit when I first read that useless buying guide. I'm not planning on selling mine, but I could just picture someone who was getting into an argument with a prospective buyer who is quoting everything as being fact from that buying guide.

As for the sarcastic remarks, well you were warned to look elsewhere right at the start, so why have a go? Very childish when he's gone to all the trouble of providing an accurate and mature account of things and since this is a Mini forum, it's really the right place for it!

#21 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

so a magazine that is trying to give you somin to read every month is going to recieve insultive complaints from you because they got a few facts wrong about 1 model of 1 car... there is 4 pages with a few wrong facts on that im sure they noticed after it was published. Why not complain about serious governmental issues or give some of your time to charity.

and if it bothers you that much, just stop buying the bloody magazine, these writers dont have to release a magazine every month, its not a service you should expect.

and all that RSP arguement... there both mini's rnt they? Paint and trim isnt a major difference, it being a BMW Z4 would be a major difference, lol.

aha, just the kind of comment i expected, if you honestly believe that these writers dont have to release a magazine every month then tell me....

what are they paid to do ??

and them getting the facts right is a service i should expect when i pay for the said magazine.

the whole point of these articles (and any factual book for that matter) is to provide a reliable guide to the model in question, so yes it really does matter about the trim differences.... that's the whole point of it

bold and large font was not needed there. And ofcourse you knew what i was going to say. But, do you no how little journalist in magazines earn? and also, since they got 1 article wrong, get some more case studies before u arange your attack. Why dont you release a mainstream cooper magazine and see how much you sell and earn from it?

If you dont like the magazine, dont buy it, its as simple as that.

theres also no point in doing something if its done wrong. just because you don't get paid much for a job doesn't mean you compensate with lazy research. who would get the promotion? the hardworking or the one just doing his job?

and i don't think that was an attack. i would be happy if someone is taking what i do seriously and gives me feedback. it gives you motivation to do a better job.

#22 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Do you really think they are intested in what you have to say :(

Well many here are very interested actually, considering it's Mini related information.

#23 silverback

silverback

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Yes I love your work too Anorak and my heart did sink a fair bit when I first read that useless buying guide. I'm not planning on selling mine, but I could just picture someone who was getting into an argument with a prospective buyer who is quoting everything as being fact from that buying guide.

As for the sarcastic remarks, well you were warned to look elsewhere right at the start, so why have a go? Very childish when he's gone to all the trouble of providing an accurate and mature account of things and since this is a Mini forum, it's really the right place for it!

I concur.

#24 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

I would say, for the benefit of anyone who thinks Anorak's been a bit anal:
I imagine you'd think it mattered quite a bit if you'd just paid out to advertise your car for sale and a potential buyer turned up armed with this mag wondering where the oil cooler and tinted glass was.

exactly, thank you Ethel.

its the way that people trust publications have got the stuff right and then argue with people like me who try to correct them.

i would be very happy if this article was the exception and all others were 100% correct, my issue would be solved.

i dont have the knowledge to comment on the articles about other models because i haven't done the research, pay me to and i happily will :thumbsup:

we have been informed that other articles have been checked by relevant clubs and that's fine, i except that, but why didn't this one get checked, after all my mainstream register was advertised in the mag a few months before, the car in the photos is actually on the register and it may have even been a comment that i made that prompted the owner to get it featured in the mag in the first place :(

rich, i seriously think you should contact mini magazine about getting your car used for one of their buyers guides. :crazy:

Edited by THE ANORAK, 13 January 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#25 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

so a magazine that is trying to give you somin to read every month is going to recieve insultive complaints from you because they got a few facts wrong about 1 model of 1 car... there is 4 pages with a few wrong facts on that im sure they noticed after it was published. Why not complain about serious governmental issues or give some of your time to charity.

and if it bothers you that much, just stop buying the bloody magazine, these writers dont have to release a magazine every month, its not a service you should expect.

and all that RSP arguement... there both mini's rnt they? Paint and trim isnt a major difference, it being a BMW Z4 would be a major difference, lol.

aha, just the kind of comment i expected, if you honestly believe that these writers dont have to release a magazine every month then tell me....

what are they paid to do ??

and them getting the facts right is a service i should expect when i pay for the said magazine.

the whole point of these articles (and any factual book for that matter) is to provide a reliable guide to the model in question, so yes it really does matter about the trim differences.... that's the whole point of it

bold and large font was not needed there. And ofcourse you knew what i was going to say. But, do you no how little journalist in magazines earn? and also, since they got 1 article wrong, get some more case studies before u arange your attack. Why dont you release a mainstream cooper magazine and see how much you sell and earn from it?

If you dont like the magazine, dont buy it, its as simple as that.

theres also no point in doing something if its done wrong. just because you don't get paid much for a job doesn't mean you compensate with lazy research. who would get the promotion? the hardworking or the one just doing his job?

and i don't think that was an attack. i would be happy if someone is taking what i do seriously and gives me feedback. it gives you motivation to do a better job.

That's a good point and the anorak has worked hard to create his 'Mainstream Cooper Register' for free and in his own time. Yes it's all to do with the passion of the model and I've helped where I can and I've been doing a fair bit of research myself on the early Rover Mini Coopers. So I've unearthed a few interesting facts and revelations: -

The Rover Cooper MCR Magazine Archive Collection link

So as Mini Magazine knew of the existence of the Mainstream Register (they recently provided an advert for it), you'd have thought they'd have double checked their facts with us?

Edited by taffy1967, 13 January 2008 - 08:00 PM.

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,457 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Do you really think they are interested in what you have to say :(

Perhaps they ought to be. Since their publication is bought by Mini enthusiasts seeking facts & information about Minis.

Sadly, I can't see them correcting their errors in print, admitting their errors wouldn't be good for their circulation, pity they didn't have the same concern in mind when commissioning the article. What puzzles me is that they must have been aware of Anorak's interest if they did any research at all so why not contact his online group when writing the article :)

That bit in the letter about clubs not bothering to contact the magazine is surely putting the cart before the horse?

#27 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'll probably just get a letter from their solicitor :thumbsup: :(

Do you really think they are interested in what you have to say :D

if that's how you feel then stop reading the topic as you were prompted to at the very start of it.

big thank you to all the "understanding comments" from the people who got the point i was trying to make :D

and as for keeping things to one short line, well you dont know me very well do you :crazy: but the comment has been noted, hence my new avatar :)

#28 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Anorak

Im with you where miss information is concerned. However, i prefer to keep things to my self because the majority are happier to believe some one else who has actualy built their reputation on this miss information in the first place. Is this what makes things true, or is it the facts? I know which is which, but do others? I dont think so.

Just be happy in the fact that you know more than others without letting on about it, it pays off eventualy, you can usualy work out what kind of people they are :thumbsup:

Its the way of the world :crazy:

Good point well made!

#29 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

To the anorak Attached File  Clap_over_head.gif   1.16K   1 downloads respect

I've been picking out stuff like that for years and laughing about it, trouble is , in forty years time people on sites like this will be arguing over facts because they read it somewhere and took it as gospel.

Take the information from someone who was there and believe it.Attached File  READ_it.gif   1.91K   1 downloads

:thumbsup: :crazy:

#30 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

Anyway I'd like to finish by saying that the Mini Cooper Register, who are absolute experts when it comes to spotting a genuine Mini Cooper, Cooper S are probably the ones who started the anorak Mini craze.

Yes they've always strived to provide their cars to absolute perfection standards and they can spot a fake a mile away.

So the anorak is justified to question these Mini Magazine buyers guides as it is very disappointing to have so many errors in one guide and it's sure to cause confusiong in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users