Photo

Front Bike Engine Rwd Beast..............hopefully !

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

This is not my car but here is a front engined rwd ZX12R in a standard length front end but it's tight

Cheers
David

whoes mini is this can i see any more pics??

I can't remember whose car it was it was up for sale years ago and I was interested in buying it. These are the only pictures I had

Cheers
David

#62 johon6

johon6

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

any work on putting the engine in as yet,
im contemplating doing the same thing wiht my pickup, dont want to go the z-cars route, want it front engine rear wheel drive,

#63 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

any work on putting the engine in as yet,
im contemplating doing the same thing wiht my pickup, dont want to go the z-cars route, want it front engine rear wheel drive,

No, sorry. Until you replied, I'd forgot I got a Mini in the garage!!!!
Tune back in next year for updates. House extension to get out of the way first. Got to keep her indoors happy first >_<

#64 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

looking great dude. got some great skills on the metalwork too! looking forward to more from this!

#65 Kustom

Kustom

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Amazing, this exactly what I want to do to the mini ive just bought. Definately subscribed to this.

I see your having all the same problems ive had too, mrs wants the house finished and spending more time researching the project than actually doing it. lol

Just out of interest what rear suspension setup are you thinking of using? I found this on one of my 'research' quests and it look good to me, apparently its a z-car trailing arm setup.

Posted Image

I was thinking if fabricating my own but im coming to the conclusion that although i know what im doing (ish) lol z-cars have a lot of years of knowledge and practice in the design of trailing arm suspension and ive got plenty of other stuff to be making

Cheers

Matt

#66 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

Not a big fan of the rod-eye linkages used in the trailing arm setups. OK for track, but British roads will see them wear out in no time. Going to go IRS. See you in 2011 :lol:

#67 Kustom

Kustom

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Not a big fan of the rod-eye linkages used in the trailing arm setups. OK for track, but British roads will see them wear out in no time. Going to go IRS. See you in 2011 :lol:

A metal on metal type rod end would certainly wear quickly due to the lack of lubrication but a good quality rod end with a teflon liner should last a long time.

Something like a 1/2" rod end is rated to something in the region of 25,000lbs (12,000kg) static radial load. From memory Goldline specify for heavy fatigue loads in a pure tension compression situation that the bearing can take 10% of its static radial load (1,200kg). Please dont quote me on that though, its from memory not fact.
Now i haven't done the calcs yet to work out what the loads are but if a bearing can take 1,200kg in a fatigue situation i dont think something the weight of a mini (circa 700kg) is going to induce continuous loads of size that would worry it.

Dont get me wrong i respect you decision to go IRS i just think its a little over complicated/heavy for what is needed plus as you rightly say design and fabrication is somewhat time consuming lol.

On a seperate note have you thought about diff options?

Matt

#68 whitestriped63

whitestriped63

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Any progress to report here?

#69 anthangel

anthangel

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

hi all, just reading up on all you stuff, some cool banter going on here. just bought a half done front engined rwd mini with a gpz1000 lump in, mx5 suspension set-up and subaru diff.
need shafts machined and prop also few other bits like pedal box and fueltank etc to finish

is it at all possible that you guys could send me any pictures you have of rwd front mounted minis so i can pick up a bit info and a few tips to help me complete. doing some great work chaps

[email protected]

greatly appreciated!!!!!

#70 andyb16fun

andyb16fun

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

What happened with this project?

#71 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

He hasn't logged on since 2011 and never got the conversion part so I'd say it never really got far enough to be finished. 

#72 [email protected]

[email protected]

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

what diff is this using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users