42 replies to this topic

#16 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

They are giving 25million of the tax payers money to help with Northern Rock. Have we the public been consulted, i think not. Just think how that money would help with child poverty in the uk, nooooooo helping a bank is more important......

If they didn't give that money to Northern Rock though (the countrys biggest lender) who knows what would happen :D our mortgage is with them...

I think we should be looking in the direction of the £700 million (yes you read it right) that Mr Brown has pledged to give to Africa - as bad as the AIDS crisis is I personally believe Africa is a bottomless moneypit. We've been sending money there for decades and how have things improved? No-one has given us an overall measurement of how those billions of pounds have been spent. However there's no harm in sending money abroad to help people in need, but please, not until after the needy people in this country are sorted out.

#17 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

the desiel has gone up from £1.06 -£1.08 today. 2p in one day. The only way the government would have to do something if everyone stopped buying fuel for 2wks, hard task i know, but that may make them think. Saying that, with the current blunders that are happening around loss of data, we don't see anyone beong sacked. If it was you or I i am sure we would be seeing our p45. The government are a law amoungst themselves. They are giving 25million of the tax payers money to help with Northern Rock. Have we the public been consulted, i think not. Just think how that money would help with child poverty in the uk, nooooooo helping a bank is more important......

There is noway people would not buy for 2 weeks, small companies like mine would go bust, the economy would take a huge hit.

Whats needed is either two levels of duty as I've said, or the guv to freeze any further duty rises and for the oil companies to pull their fingers out, and pass on any reductions in producing the oil, as the cost fluctuates, but there not always passingin on the reductions.

#18 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

please, not until after the needy people in this country are sorted out.

I wouldn't exactly call the middle class folk who can easily afford the current fuel prices "needy".

#19 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

please, not until after the needy people in this country are sorted out.

I wouldn't exactly call the middle class folk who can easily afford the current fuel prices "needy".

Was I referring to those people? No.

I'm referring to the pensioners who having worked and put into the system for half a century are now having to choose between having the fire on or having something to eat in winter.

#20 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I'm referring to the pensioners who having worked and put into the system for half a century are now having to choose between having the fire on or having something to eat in winter.

I agree it is terrible but what does that have to do with fuel prices though?

No need to get angry.

#21 MissSportyGT

MissSportyGT

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

Signed :D

xxxx
xxx
xx
x

#22 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

If you look at the post I was replying to someone who was talking about the way the government wastes its money on stupid things, so I pointed out the "measly" £700million that's recently been pledged. That was my example of a waste of government money. Perhaps if you read through the posts you wouldn't need to ask such daft simple questions :D

#23 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Fair enough, my mistake.

You have to admit though, the vast majority of motorists can easily afford the current fuel prices.

#24 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

They probably can yeah but as A KIRK said it's the smaller businesses and poorer people who lose out - as always.

Big companies and the middle classes aren't affected, which is annoying really because they're the biggest polluters. I.e. rich mum in her Chelsea Tractor won't ditch the X5 on the school run because of a few quid a week but council estate family who take their kids to school on the way to work are finding it harder and harder to cope with the rising prices yet their wages aren't going up enough to counter the price hikes.

It isn't just fuel duty that is the cause of this though theres a lot more to it such as energy prices going through the roof council tax etc so I won't go into all that as it's not relevant.

#25 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

just because someone is middle class does not mean they also do not feel the pinch, each family or individuals circumstances are different. I think it is irelative who can afford what and how much, the point is that fuel continues to go up and up, the fat cats at bp and shell continue to make huge profits and do not pass this onto the consumer. The government will not interviene becasue the revenue is too great, which is where it will hurt if people were not to buy the fuel, easier said that done i know

Edited by philc, 21 January 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#26 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

if the government want us to drive more fuel efficient vehicles why do i pay the same road tax for my 70 mpg clio van as A KIRK does for his big van's ?

i pay £170 a year for my clio van if i had back seats and window's it would be £35 a year

its all a big money making con this going green

#27 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Mineral water can be up to £1.39 a litre in super markets so whats all the hype?
Our fuel is CHEAPER than bottled WATER.
As pointed out by Jeremy clarkson.

Fuel has to be made from crued oil, which no doubt is an expensive process.

Water is bottled at source with minimal effort and they charge the earth for it!

So how do we explain that? Think £1.06 a litre of fuel is cheap to be honest.
We only think it's expensive due to the fact we've had it cheaper before.

It is still cheaper to put fuel in my car each week than it is to get the train, so I'll continue to pay the price of fuel.

I spend £30 a week in fuel going to work and back. This is 14 miles per day 5 days a week.

If I took the train I'd be looking at £8 return per day 5 days a week. £40 per week, and I'd still have to get from the station to work and visa versa.

Thats my take on it any way.

#28 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

yep its a con This beast is taxed the same as a little Clio van

Posted Image

Takes up twice the room on the road, does 20 mpg if lucky compared to:

Posted Image
Which as said above does 70 odd mpg and polutes a lot less.

Nothing is fair that the guv do

#29 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

They are giving 25million of the tax payers money to help with Northern Rock. Have we the public been consulted, i think not. Just think how that money would help with child poverty in the uk, nooooooo helping a bank is more important......

If they didn't give that money to Northern Rock though (the countrys biggest lender) who knows what would happen :D our mortgage is with them...

I think we should be looking in the direction of the £700 million (yes you read it right) that Mr Brown has pledged to give to Africa - as bad as the AIDS crisis is I personally believe Africa is a bottomless moneypit. We've been sending money there for decades and how have things improved? No-one has given us an overall measurement of how those billions of pounds have been spent. However there's no harm in sending money abroad to help people in need, but please, not until after the needy people in this country are sorted out.

as chris said 700million of taxpayers money hughly not fair

#30 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

they do look better with a full body kit and alloys :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users