42 replies to this topic

#31 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Mineral water can be up to £1.39 a litre in super markets so whats all the hype?
Our fuel is CHEAPER than bottled WATER.
As pointed out by Jeremy clarkson.

Fuel has to be made from crued oil, which no doubt is an expensive process.

(this isnt meant as an attack on you by the way!)

He also explained that out of the £1.00 per litre, (at the time) 35p went to the actual petrol producers, and the remaining 65p was tax! i think most people have an issue with the amount of tax on it, i could rant on and on about this but theres just no point, nothing will solve it really, the government want/need the money so basically if you dont like what they do, emigrate, otherwise you just have to smile and suffer it!

#32 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

Bungle you telling us you have a chavy clio lol

#33 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

That is ridiclous, I didn't realise that'd be taxed more just because it's got blocked off windows! Someone I know has an 04 reg clio and you're right his road tax is £35 a year. What a con!

#34 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Mineral water can be up to £1.39 a litre in super markets so whats all the hype?
Our fuel is CHEAPER than bottled WATER.
As pointed out by Jeremy clarkson.

Fuel has to be made from crued oil, which no doubt is an expensive process.

(this isnt meant as an attack on you by the way!)

He also explained that out of the £1.00 per litre, (at the time) 35p went to the actual petrol producers, and the remaining 65p was tax! i think most people have an issue with the amount of tax on it, i could rant on and on about this but theres just no point, nothing will solve it really, the government want/need the money so basically if you dont like what they do, emigrate, otherwise you just have to smile and suffer it!

Completely agree mate.
There is VAT on bottled water though. Thats another matter though so I won't go into it. (bit of a cheek though isn't it?)

#35 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Fuel duty should only be lowered for commercial users, everyone else should pay the higher rate, whihc in return you would benefit from, as your goods in shops that you buy would work out lower to buy due to cheaper transport costs.

We should have 2 bands one for commercial and one for private users

Or the companies that you buy off will just make more margin... esp in this climate

#36 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: Oldham and Distrcit Mini Club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Just like A KIRK, my dad used to own his own business and at one point had several artics, a 7.5 tonner and a van, just for the artic's alone your looking at jut under 2k a year road tax (or £1300 if its a Euro 3 or above engine (Reduced pollution)) , not too mention the 1k a WEEK fuel usage. My dad no longer has his business anymore but i completely agree with A KIRK i believe commercial vehicles should have a reduction in the amount of duty they should pay, cause in the end the amount they use at the lower cost it equals out, its a very costly business to be in running your own vehicles, think running your mini is costly?Try keeping an artic on the road which covers in average about 1millions miles+ in its average lifetime.
Just have a look at some of the prices of a decent second hand motor and your looking around the price of a new BMW. Then you have your insurance, your operators liscense, road tax the list is endless, its not a chap game to be in.....

Anyway rant over and thanks for listening

#37 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:34 PM

we had an email going round at work suggesting the best way would be to boycott the bigger fuel suppliers, mainly Esso and BP as they probably have more control on price. if these bigger company's loose custom they will drop prices and then other will follow then.

not sure if it would work, as they probably own the refineries that the other buy from any way

#38 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

Bungle you telling us you have a chavy clio lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

I agree looks a lot better with kit and alloys, mind you I'd prefer the VW lol

#40 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

Would you have to pay more road tax if you blocked off the windows at the rear of the camper and used that as your work van? :thumbsup:

#41 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

i think the camper is £10 a year less to tax but uses about 10 time more fuel than the clio so i don't think i would save much

#42 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

the desiel has gone up from £1.06 -£1.08 today. 2p in one day. The only way the government would have to do something if everyone stopped buying fuel for 2wks, hard task i know, but that may make them think. Saying that, with the current blunders that are happening around loss of data, we don't see anyone beong sacked. If it was you or I i am sure we would be seeing our p45. The government are a law amoungst themselves. They are giving 25million of the tax payers money to help with Northern Rock. Have we the public been consulted, i think not. Just think how that money would help with child poverty in the uk, nooooooo helping a bank is more important......

think you'll find it's 25billion mate. At the end of the day, countries are hugely inneficient and leak money from all directions but the econmy deals with the market fluctuations, interest rates are bareable and inflation is well controlled. Sure the price of stuff goes up, but that the price we pay for living in a country that tries to lead the way in energy consumption, health & safety and transparency of working. It sucks but we gotta accept it... it could be alot worse

#43 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

revolution????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users