#16 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

You can't polish basecoat. As for your new panels, the black primer they come in is actually factory etch primer. Rub them down with either scotchbrite if there are no bit's of ******* or scratches on the surface, or if there are damaged areas use 500 dry or 800 wet to rub them back. Only use etch primer on any bare metal areas. You should ideally prime over them, but it's not completely necessary, the finish will be just the same, it would just be for corrosion protection.

As for masks, You can spray 2k with a decent cartridge mask, and alot of painters do, but It's not a very good idea, especially if you've never used 2K before. I used to use a cartridge type, but I felt adverse affects, so now I use an air fed. Bare in mind they cost about £100, for the air regulator, belt, air feed pipe and mask. You don't necessarily have to have a different compressor, just one large enough to supply both a constant pressure at your gun, and a constant feed to the mask. We use one compressor for everything at work, and it's fine. I would seriously advise anyone not to use anything but air fed, it's not worth it, people have dropped dead at just a few minutes exposed to 2K fumes, although reacting that badly is quite unlikely, you should be aware of the dangers.

I personally would never attempt to use 2k without a booth, it's just not worth it, considering the health risks to yourself and others, plus the quality of finish you would obtain without a booth is greatly decreased. If I had to, I'd probably use cellulose, in solid a solid colour. Celly polishes up lovely, the downsides are it can fade if not kept maintained, and will dull if not waxed regularly.

Edited by panelbeaterpeter, 23 January 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#17 Ashdesign

Ashdesign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

2k paint contains cyanide! Therefore, if you are not using an airfed mask, you are basically breathing in cyanide.

2K paints (or hardener) DO NOT contain cyanide. They contain isocyanates (not isocyanides as is often reported on forums such as this).

HSE link Page 8.

Isocyanates do not contain cyanide, despite the resemblance in name.

However, it can cause severe athsma with little exposure and that is why an airfed mask is recommended.

#18 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

You can't polish basecoat. As for your new panels, the black primer they come in is actually factory etch primer. Rub them down with either scotchbrite if there are no bit's of ******* or scratches on the surface, or if there are damaged areas use 500 dry or 800 wet to rub them back. Only use etch primer on any bare metal areas. You should ideally prime over them, but it's not completely necessary, the finish will be just the same, it would just be for corrosion protection.

As for masks, You can spray 2k with a decent cartridge mask, and alot of painters do, but It's not a very good idea, especially if you've never used 2K before. I used to use a cartridge type, but I felt adverse affects, so now I use an air fed. Bare in mind they cost about £100, for the air regulator, belt, air feed pipe and mask. You don't necessarily have to have a different compressor, just one large enough to supply both a constant pressure at your gun, and a constant feed to the mask. We use one compressor for everything at work, and it's fine. I would seriously advise anyone not to use anything but air fed, it's not worth it, people have dropped dead at just a few minutes exposed to 2K fumes, although reacting that badly is quite unlikely, you should be aware of the dangers.

I personally would never attempt to use 2k without a booth, it's just not worth it, considering the health risks to yourself and others, plus the quality of finish you would obtain without a booth is greatly decreased. If I had to, I'd probably use cellulose, in solid a solid colour. Celly polishes up lovely, the downsides are it can fade if not kept maintained, and will dull if not waxed regularly.

Cheers panel beater unfotunately the compressor I str£tched to is only just enough to cover the gun (I took your advice on the gun and got a gravity fed HVLP one :thumbsup: ) - do you recon I could get away with a hose pipe going from my mouth to outside? :thumbsup:

#19 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

2k paint contains cyanide! Therefore, if you are not using an airfed mask, you are basically breathing in cyanide.

2K paints (or hardener) DO NOT contain cyanide. They contain isocyanates (not isocyanides as is often reported on forums such as this).

HSE link Page 8.

Isocyanates do not contain cyanide, despite the resemblance in name.

However, it can cause severe athsma with little exposure and that is why an airfed mask is recommended.

Thanks for the info ashdesign although eitherway I don't want to be breathing it in :thumbsup: I'm also going to wear a ful shell suit and gloves as I heard it bleads into your skin :thumbsup:

#20 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Cheers panel beater unfotunately the compressor I str£tched to is only just enough to cover the gun (I took your advice on the gun and got a gravity fed HVLP one :thumbsup: ) - do you recon I could get away with a hose pipe going from my mouth to outside? :thumbsup:

I seriously doubt it! it'd only work if the pipe was about a foot long! you wouldn't be able to breath hard enough to expel all the air out of the pipe, and would start breathing in carbon dioxide! plus it would get in the way of you painting.

#21 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

Cheers panel beater unfotunately the compressor I str£tched to is only just enough to cover the gun (I took your advice on the gun and got a gravity fed HVLP one ;D ) - do you recon I could get away with a hose pipe going from my mouth to outside? :unsure:

I seriously doubt it! it'd only work if the pipe was about a foot long! you wouldn't be able to breath hard enough to expel all the air out of the pipe, and would start breathing in carbon dioxide! plus it would get in the way of you painting.

As usual your talkin sense I'm going to get one of those £35 full face airfed 2k sprayers mask from machine mart in that case and borrow a mates 1.5hp 50l compressor to run it (just the mask not the gun aswell) any idea what sort of a regulator I'd need - the one they suggest is about £80 there must be a cheaper alternative! (also if you could recommend a good value regulator for the gun it'd be much appreciated)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users