26 replies to this topic

#16 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

thats the only pic i have of it, the rear end used to look so nice as it had a smooth boot, no hinges or lock, rear valence was deseamed , the number plate used to sit under the valence and had a light at the side.

#17 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

>_< how did you take the hinges off ? did you use bonet pins ? how do you smooth a boot off ? do you have to get a plate or panel or something ?

#18 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

As said, I really wouldn't suggest doing this unless you know someone who is not only very good at welding, but has a good welder! It's not an easy job at all to get right, especially the roof, due to it hardly ever being in line with the side of the car when you remove the gutter, so you have to bend it about to get it to line up, which damages the roof panel. If you do decide to do it, I'd leave the roof gutter in place, or at least leave a section of gutter above the front doors. I've seen this done, and it looks fine. It will pass an MOT no problem if it's done properly.

#19 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

the boot had pins on the bottom that went into the boot apperture and it had a cabled lock with a lever inside to open it.

You can weld a plate in the boot lid then beat it about a bit and finish it off with filler.

If you have got an old boot lid lying about use part of the top of it to make the plate as it's alot easier to work with and get into shape than a flat piece of metal unless you have access to an English Wheel.

#20 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

As said, I really wouldn't suggest doing this unless you know someone who is not only very good at welding, but has a good welder! It's not an easy job at all to get right, especially the roof, due to it hardly ever being in line with the side of the car when you remove the gutter, so you have to bend it about to get it to line up, which damages the roof panel. If you do decide to do it, I'd leave the roof gutter in place, or at least leave a section of gutter above the front doors. I've seen this done, and it looks fine. It will pass an MOT no problem if it's done properly.

thanks, is what i could do with the guttering i could get choped down so it is about 3 or 4 mm ?

#21 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

Wouldn't really make any sense, plus you would almost definitely remove the spot welds if you took that much off, plus it wouldn't work as a gutter, it would be like a house gutter without a front.. the water would just fall off >_< I'd either leave it on as it is, or remove it all apart from the section above the door, but round off the ends, so it looked "factory".

#22 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I did this to a mini once it was quite hard to do as has been said the roof panel didn't line up it was actually set further in all the way round but once all welded up it was very strong. Just remember if you do do it to cut it back in stages so you do not separate too much at a time. Back then i just filled the car but now i would have leaded it makes a far better finish and is far les prone to crack if the shell flexes. Also another problem with deseamed cars is water running around the screen pillars whilst your driving because the wind forces it round i solved this by welding a rid on the post to give it a slightly raised and sharper edge once blended in. the water tended to spray of this rather than flow around. I still like the odd deseamed mini but it does have to be done well.

#23 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Local Club: my own SPECIAL one!

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Iv posted this before the guy who owned it did an amazing job check out the filler cap on the tank in the boot!!!!
Its post no 810118 sorry can't get a link to work!!!

Edited by iansmini, 04 February 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#24 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

link's not working?

#25 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

link's not working?

yeah i posted a link as you can see i removed as it wasn't working!

#26 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

How do we find the link from that number ???

#27 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

right got the link working phew it were like trial and friggin retribution! Pics of Smooth Mini Wanted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users