l_wire

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Local Club: MLNI

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

hey!
i was wondering, should i go for a number plate sticker. im not sure whether the car would suit them
also, does anyone know where to get them??

thanks

#2 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

craigs plates website.
they ARE illegal though... although youre much less likely to get pulled over for a sticker that conforms with the plate requirements than for having blatent unauthorised B&W plates

#3 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

Stick ons arnt illegal if they're reflective, proper spacing and lettering and are pretty much sat at 90 degres to the road.

Also meant to have a postcode on the bottom, from the plate maker... but lets not get fussy.

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

Stick ons arnt illegal if they're reflective, proper spacing and lettering and are pretty much sat at 90 degres to the road.

Also meant to have a postcode on the bottom, from the plate maker... but lets not get fussy.

And currently no stickons reflect in the way neccessary to be legal, so currently any stickon plate is illegal.

With the number of stickons used on kit cars, etc, I doubt you'd ever get pulled over for it. But just know that one day, there is a chance your going to get stopped by a copper who's just found out his wife has run off with his brother, and he's looking for people to take it out on, and your stickon plate is just the excuse he needs.

#5 mattyoung69

mattyoung69

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

There is currently a Europe wide initative on illegal number plates - runs I think for the next 3 months.

All Police forces, both home and away, are expected to deal with any illegal plates - B&W, spacing, pictures etc etc...

Expect to be pulled irrespective of his wife running off!

#6 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

TO be legaal, the plates must be vertical AND flat, unless there was no provision made for number plates when the car was manufactured. So stick on number plates on the bonnet can't ever be legal.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

It also has to be made from approved materials, no flexible plates currently available meet the approval requirements for modern reflex reflective plates. Historic plates (black and white) are permitted to be formed on the bodywork in the manner of stick on plates but not modern ones.

There is currently a Europe wide initative on illegal number plates

My GF was attending a minor RTC the other day in which a Freelander had gone into the back of a junction queue at low speed and four cars punted into each other. No-one was really hurt but for some reason Ambulance and Police controllers went a bit OTT in their response and sent lots of crews. The first car in the line was a Porsche Cayenne showing black and white plates! There were quite a lot of Police milling around and obviously sooner or later it got mentioned to the bloke with a friendly 'I'm not giving you a ticket because you've just been in an accident and don't need it now but fix it, OK?' and the muppet had the front to argue about it! 'Oh they were on the car when I got it...' etc. etc.

Muppet.

Edited by Dan, 26 February 2008 - 05:35 PM.

#8 l_wire

l_wire

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Local Club: MLNI

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

heres the car now. got the plates and got em fitted. were a b*****d to fit tho
what u think??

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

I think you have the spaces between the letters too tight, and it's not forward facing enough. If you think about 33 EJB and the other works minis, they had the plate right on the front of the bonnet.

#10 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

And currently no stickons reflect in the way neccessary to be legal, so currently any stickon plate is illegal.

What if the car is pre-73 though? Surely B&W stickons are acceptable? ;D

#11 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

looks good! BUT you will get pulled and done for it! Just the risk you opt to take!
but yeah, its not flat-facing enough, its not spaced correctly, its B&W, non-reflective, and thus illegal all the same. id whack the normal plates on too if i was you personally, i know a few chavs around here have been fined very recently for their plates!
has anyone used the reflective ones before from craigs plates? i really want to know what a copper would do if he pulled you, but you could highlight how it conforms to the regulations...

#12 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

What if the car is pre-73 though? Surely B&W stickons are acceptable? :thumbsup:

yeah im pretty sure that pre 73 cars can have them as long as their on the first most flat- facing surface of the car.. my lotus elan just has plastic letters stuck onto a black mesh grille! plus B&W plates arent reflective really anyways, so i dont see any difference in it being a sticker or not!

#13 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

White stick ons have to be reflective, got a producer for mine not being

#14 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image

Sorry for Hi-jacking! didn't see the point in creating another thread.

That is the Mini I'm picking up from Scotland, It's a 1990 plate, so this is illegal too right?

Doesn't fuss me, I'm just curious that's all.

#15 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

You're worrying me now, I just got a nice square stick on B&W for my *cough* 1989 *cough* mini... Might just go legal and fit modern ones. Stupid Law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users