#32 TheRestorer

TheRestorer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: My club!

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

All good thanks. yep talbot road, thats down by goldington? very close to where i live. did u get the throttle switch sorted then?

#33 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

here are a couple of lovely illegal plates on my car,yes they are ilegal but i dont care,if you get caught so be it,its the risk you take!,all went through two mots like this !!!!

#34 TheRestorer

TheRestorer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

But why are they illegal? whats the problem with them? thats a shame, i think they look fantastic. they really add to the classic feel.

#35 Git

Git

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Local Club: Humanity

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

All good thanks. yep talbot road, thats down by goldington? very close to where i live. did u get the throttle switch sorted then?

Kind of.... I just unplugged it. bit of a cheat really, runs great now. although I did pull my exhaust pipe off at the bottom of the manifold just now... just poked it back in and off we go. mind you, it sounded flippin' great !!!
Now found out the indicators have packed up... better check the fuses. if it's not one thing, it's another!!
by the way, I remember, I did get stopped once,(back to number plates) it was well rainy and the copper just said that I should really have my lights on as the car was quite a dark colour!!

#36 TheRestorer

TheRestorer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

pull my exhaust pipe off at the bottom of the manifold just now... just poked it back in and off we go.
Now found out the indicators have packed up... better check the fuses. if it's not one thing, it's another!!

oh right, how did you manage that? there should be a clamp which holds the front of the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. should be secure enough that it cant just be pulled off, lol.
if your indicators have gone, its usually the flasher unit thats had it, or a loose connection somewhere. fuses dont just go unless there is an electrical fault, or its very old.
but yeah theres always one thing or another which needs sorting, hence the full rebuild of my beloved mini.

#37 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

what happened to the number plate discussion??????????????????????

#38 Git

Git

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

pull my exhaust pipe off at the bottom of the manifold just now... just poked it back in and off we go.

oh right, how did you manage that? there should be a clamp which holds the front of the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. should be secure enough that it cant just be pulled off, lol.
if your indicators have gone, its usually the flasher unit thats had it, or a loose connection somewhere. fuses dont just go unless there is an electrical fault, or its very old.
but yeah theres always one thing or another which needs sorting, hence the full rebuild of my beloved mini.

As I was backing out of the girls driveway, I went up a kerb (only a small one I think) with 1 wheel. As I came off it, the back box caught and was pulled back as I drove away. luckily I have a picnic blanket in the boot, got flat on my back and lined it back up to push in in, no problem.
I'll have to hunt for the flasher unit, unless I disloged some wires pulling the hoses out of the way.

#39 Git

Git

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

what happened to the number plate discussion??????????????????????

Ooops, Sorry Stroker.
Restorer, you can PM me if you like.
Lee

#40 RobJaxon

RobJaxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: dont know

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

nice motor,git.

#41 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

After many many times of saying this. MOTs do not check that your vehicle is road legal. However the police will shortly before handing you an appropriately sized fine.

#42 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

yeah and like i stated in my post i am fully aware of the legalities regarding " non conforming number plates ",it is a risk that i personaly am happy to take,and if i get caught out its my own fault,as for me mentioning the mot i was refering to the tester cheking for the correct colour for the year of registration,correct sizing and gaping of individual numbers e.t.c,anyway,mots do not check your car is road legal,so they are not bothered about bald tyres,u/s lighting,smashed glass e.t.c,i thought the idead of the mot was to check the vehicle under inspection to ensure it conforms to the minimum legal safety standards,including being legal to drive on a public highway????????????confused.com

#43 Ru55boy

Ru55boy

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'm a Copper on a Response Team (Not Traffic). If I'm on patrol and I see a well maintained car driving past me with an illegal plate, I will not turn around and speed after it. If the reg was so small that I couldn't read it, then I would want to speak to the driver as he may be trying to evade his responsibilties. If when I speak to him, he's rude, abusive, got attitude, then I will consider that a verbal warning would not be sufficient.

A sticker number plate on the bonnet will attract attention so you need to make sure that the rest of the car is in order, and that you're not on your phone, going through red lights etc.
If you get caught by Traffic, they may issue you with a small fine, you won't lose your licence.

Most Police Officers don't know the 1973 rule, but do know that you shouldn't really have black & whites on a 1990 car, but most of us don't care...... unless you're driving like an idiot, on your phone, or your car's in a dangerous condition. We must have number plates and they must be legible, obviously.

#44 jayne

jayne

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Club

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

You're worrying me now, I just got a nice square stick on B&W for my *cough* 1989 *cough* mini... Might just go legal and fit modern ones. Stupid Law.

Personally I prefer the standard legal plates for my mini. I bought my number plates for Speedy Registrations Co Ltd they are very reasonalbly priced.

#45 dezshearer

dezshearer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

I was giving this some thought, when it came to gettin' new plates for my '95 Cooper. Still haven't got them though, depends on final look of the car.

Anyway, imagine your driving an old mini, no matter what year, if you had black and white press plates on it you probably won't get stopped, unless the officer is a complete mini anorak, he won't be able to judge the year of your car.

So the chances of getting pulled over for them is quite slim.

However, if you're a complete dolt, and put B&W pressed plates on your '05 Polo or '07 Beetle or some clearly modern car, you really are asking for it.

Pressed plates on a "young" mini is a calculated risk; pressed plates on your beamer/volvo/hoodride/shed, is stupidity.

EDIT:

On a side note.. how are the old style plates at being picked up by speed cameras etc, seeing as they arn't reflective?

Edited by dezshearer, 18 April 2008 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users