135 replies to this topic

#1 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

this is the start of my cluby honda conversion. im going to be using the allspeed subframe. The end product i am aiming for is a luxury cruiser, with full cream vinyl interior, including a cream covered fibreglass dash. Exterior wise im having to go for 13" X 7 superlites wheels to get the power down, sensibly lowered using a set of gp5 arches to cover the wheels.

Heres the base car a 1978 clubman 1275GT. I paid £2000 for her for a rust free shell (or so i thought :lol: )
Attached File  DSCF0022.JPG   676.3K   230 downloads

The next thing was to do was to find a doner car this came in the form of a rear ended low mileage 94 honda civic eg6. i hagled the whole car for £700 and promptly removed the engine. whislt doing this i already head all the bits from the 16v mini shop on order.

Once all of my new shiny bits had arrived and the engine had been removed i set about puting together the front subframe complete with engine. The tie rods are lovely and with the kink in leave plenty of room for the callipers.As you can see im using the minisport 4 pot callipers with vented and grooved discs.
Attached File  DSCF0025.JPG   609.4K   356 downloads

Attached File  DSCF0021.JPG   644.72K   257 downloads

#2 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

woo first post :lol: looks good dude, i love luxury minis, as well as retro. so ill be building a luxury mini with retro touches for my next mini. ill be watching this thread, and good luck!

#3 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

My next job was to totally strip the base care down to a shell and see what i was working with. Got rid of the chaved up interior and chequer plate door cards, arches came off engine and subframe out complete and sold for £170 (someone got a bargain lol) rear subby and everything else that could possibly be removed. sand blasted the engine bay interior and then turned it on its side to do the botom.

And yep you guesed it my rust free mini is not so rust free :lol:
upon removal of the filler and paint off the boot floor =] i found holes BIG ones
Attached File  DSCF0062.JPG   642.89K   86 downloads

And the passenger side footwell had a lovly surprise for me to as did both sill shuts
Attached File  DSCF0069.JPG   633.87K   63 downloads

So now the shell has to have welding, so while in the mean time i am curruntly preparing my shell for the subframe and cutting the bulkhead for the inlet manifold.

#4 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Ive seen this mini and it is SEXY!

hope it all goes well and maybe you can take me out for a spin when its done :X

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 26 June 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#5 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

looks lovely :X...hopefully my rolling resto wont take too long.. so i can get started on the next project

#6 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

would be glad to take you for a spin grease monkey :(

got to get the beast built first and that means welding and had a quote of £1200 :X i think this is a bit to much must get some other quotes but getting welders to come and take a look is like finding a plumber on a weekend lol

in the meantime i have the template made up for the bulk head box and has been sent of to be made in thick gauge steel.
Attached File  DSCF0056.JPG   629.77K   154 downloads

to cut the body and make the template i had to trial fit the engine, seeing it like this makes me want it on the road sooooo bad
Attached File  DSCF0043.JPG   648.21K   122 downloads

Attached File  DSCF0054.JPG   643.01K   99 downloads

Attached File  DSCF0050.JPG   648.83K   255 downloads

Attached File  DSCF0049.JPG   654.05K   210 downloads

#7 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

this is a fast project :X

#8 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

i started the project about 3 months ago but only just had time to start a thread lol
im pretty much at the stage you see now so you are hopefully all up to speed.
i have a few more shiny bits on order and will be continually updating with pics as i think project threads need lots of pics to remain interesting. :X

Edited by miniman.matt, 23 March 2008 - 08:36 PM.

#9 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

man that engine looks so nice :) keep looking at the clubman saloon register topic & get your bum down there hen it's done, i'd like to see this one in the flesh!

#10 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

defo going to join the new register. once the club is all up and running hopefully you will see it in the flesh
got my sisters fiance whos a bit af a wiz with electrics to start on the hybrid honda/mini loom tonight he now officialy hates me but he can put his name on the end credits lol :)
Attached File  DSCF0029.JPG   652.86K   107 downloads

Attached File  DSCF0030.JPG   629.25K   122 downloads

#11 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

good to hear your support!

I've got the wiring loom to do son, but im sticking with a 1293, not too adventurous!

good luck, i'll be keeping an eye on this project!!

#12 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

Looking good!

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 12 November 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#13 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

I've got the wiring loom to do son

the honda wiring is a nightmare, the wiring in the pic is only the mini, the complete honda loom took ages to cut down getting rid of things like the ABS, Air con and the other bits i dont want. I plan on keeping the honda clocks, this is also proving a little bit of a challenge lol.

the quicker she is on the road the better because i am currently driving a car that is NOT a mini (shock shock horror) as a daily driver and i am begining to lose the will to live behind the wheel of this abomination (its french and its a megane coupe in banana yellow :) ) lol

Edited by miniman.matt, 23 March 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#14 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

haha, me too, driving a bruised lil ford ka, she cute but nt the same as a mini!!

#15 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Nice project :) im watching this very carefully as im planning on doing the same :)

Are you planning on getting the speedo recalibrated if your using the honda clocks? Also what petrol tank are you using?

Edited by DannyTip, 24 March 2008 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users