32 replies to this topic

#1 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

I'm thinking hard about doing a bike engine conversion, in particular the pro-motive kit.
But i worried it might be more hassle than its worth! Im thinking if I'm going to get an R1 engine in the mini, Im going to want to use it everyday. I'm sure the R1 lump is going to be more reliable than my 1275, but whats the R1 like in traffic? is it smooth or twitchy?
I think what im trying to get at is, is it to hard to drive day to day?

Im sure Ive seen 2 or 3 people on here with the pro-motive conversion, what's it like to drive? What sort of mile do you do in it?
Whats it like on long journeys? Have you had any mechanical problems after the kits been fitted? Do you have a problem with servicing, and whats your insurance like?

Loads of question I know, sorry! >_<

Thanks

Daz

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

I'm thinking hard about doing a bike engine conversion, in particular the pro-motive kit.
But i worried it might be more hassle than its worth! Im thinking if I'm going to get an R1 engine in the mini, Im going to want to use it everyday. I'm sure the R1 lump is going to be more reliable than my 1275, but whats the R1 like in traffic? is it smooth or twitchy?
I think what im trying to get at is, is it to hard to drive day to day?

Im sure Ive seen 2 or 3 people on here with the pro-motive conversion, what's it like to drive? What sort of mile do you do in it?
Whats it like on long journeys? Have you had any mechanical problems after the kits been fitted? Do you have a problem with servicing, and whats your insurance like?

Loads of question I know, sorry! :thumbsup:

Thanks

Daz

Mine could quite easily be used as a daily driver - its only as mental as your right foot allows it to be. Diff choice is going to be your big decision, and maybe also final gearing.

due to the nature of the kit it can be tailored in many ways - delicate reliable speedy day car, or outright mental missile.

Exhaust note and acceleration makes it addictive and I have had to be strict with myself to keep for show runs only.

Clutch control can be a bit wierd at first but I'm getting better every time I take her out, Supermotolee has had some serious mileage with his, and as far as I can tell hes made superb progress. I've had technical difficulties with my engine ( not the kit in any way ) so I haven't really had the chance to really stretch her legs.

as a daily motor the lack of reverse could become an annoyance long term, but I believe a reverse option is being planned.

Its certainly noisier than any mini you will have been in - listening to the stereo is a bit of a non starter, mileage is pretty good for fuel - comparable to the original engine, it can be twitchy with all the power but learn to tame it and your fine.

I've only done 2 long journeys and the novelty value hasnt worn off yet - I love it - and seeing the looks on peoples faces as you growl past is priceless.

mechanical wise - changing a clutch is an engine out job unless you go for a flip front - in fact a flip front would be a very good idea - or even a removeable steel front.

just make sure your engine is tip-top, and dont make my mistake - get it all finished only to find you cant get 5th and 6th gear !

In my instance, insurance has only increased by 20 quid. but I am an old fart with lots of no-claims and its on limited mileage.

Talk to Daz and Phil , they're very approachable down to earth lads, and will offer advice on exactly what you want to know.

Hopefully the other guys will add their input, and if you go for it - good luck.

#3 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

your saying all the right things. Is the final drive easy to change. Slow and steady to the track, balls out on it. :angel:
I just cant stop thinking about doing this. Ive a 4K budget which i think i can just about do.

Gutting about the gearbox, have you got it sorted yet?

Did you install the kit yourself, was it easy to do?

I spoke to the other half last night and she thinks Im mad and said i should just go and buy another bike!
Bike or mini, oh what to do?! :thumbsup:

#4 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for posting. :angel:

your saying all the right things. Is the final drive easy to change. Slow and steady to the track, balls out on it. :thumbsup:
I just cant stop thinking about doing this. Ive a 4K budget which i think i can just about do.

Gutting about the gearbox, have you got it sorted yet?

Did you install the kit yourself, was it easy to do?

I spoke to the other half last night and she thinks Im mad and said i should just go and buy another bike!
Bike or mini, oh what to do?! :wub:

I had my kit supplied with the engine ready fitted in the subframe, and have had a lot of help from John at COVICS in coventry- technical genius - the loom was modifid by Pro-motive for me, and to be honest it is pretty simple to fit. Make sure you get an instruction manual as I missed out on some simple but important info like - you must use an early mini clutch slave cylinder, and ou have to alter the poistion of the clutch actuation armature.

Mines all got to come out so we can remove the engine to re-build the gearbox. If you want to get down and dirty with a kit before you commit, why not come down on removal day and see what its all about?

extra pair of hands would be usefull :thumbsup:

#5 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

Thats a great idea, when you thinking of removing it?

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

Thats a great idea, when you thinking of removing it?

It'll be the week after we get back from IMM - approx 4 weeks from now.

#7 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

Im off to the IMM too, let me know when you get back and we'll sort something out, or i might see you at the IMM :thumbsup:

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Im off to the IMM too, let me know when you get back and we'll sort something out, or i might see you at the IMM :thumbsup:

see you at IMM !, have a few beers and a chat. were taking old grey to IMM unfortunatley otherwise you could have had a look.

Edited by roofless, 16 April 2008 - 02:22 PM.

#9 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Im off to the IMM too, let me know when you get back and we'll sort something out, or i might see you at the IMM ;D

see you at IMM !, have a few beers and a chat. were taking old grey to IMM unfortunatley otherwise you could have had a look.

mmmmm beer, now your talking. I'll drop you a PM before the IMM and give you my number. Would be cool to hook up and have a chat. :dontgetit:

I spoke to Phil at pro-motive today, very helpful chap.

The more and more i talk to people about this the more i want to do it. Ive not been able to think of anything else. is this normal? :mmkay:

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Im off to the IMM too, let me know when you get back and we'll sort something out, or i might see you at the IMM ;D

mmmmm beer, now your talking. I'll drop you a PM before the IMM and give you my number. Would be cool to hook up and have a chat. :dontgetit:

I spoke to Phil at pro-motive today, very helpful chap.

The more and more i talk to people about this the more i want to do it. Ive not been able to think of anything else. is this normal? :mmkay:

have you seen riley is selling an R1 engine in the for sale section? and a mini - pair for 1500.00 !

#11 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

thanks for the heads up, seen it now and asked if he'll sell the R1 engine. ;D

#12 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

Yo roof,

Been speaking to Supermotolee, he mentioned vidration at 6000 res, Do you get the same thing?

by the way - what brake and suspension set up do you use?

#13 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

i think about this all day long as well and i run a motorbike business, how funny is that.
my mini is on stands in my shop with a major engine issue and I think that maybe now is the right time to strip and build.....

i would abso'bananas'lutely love to see some pics of the pro motive kit, i know there are some on the pro motive site but i want some different shots.....

#14 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Yo roof,

Been speaking to Supermotolee, he mentioned vidration at 6000 res, Do you get the same thing?

by the way - what brake and suspension set up do you use?

cant say that it vibrates too much at 6K - 10K maybe but I have solid mounts throughout so you'd expect it.

brakes - metro turbo with servo at front, and minifins at rear - green stuff pas throughout.

#15 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

i think about this all day long as well and i run a motorbike business, how funny is that.
my mini is on stands in my shop with a major engine issue and I think that maybe now is the right time to strip and build.....

i would abso'bananas'lutely love to see some pics of the pro motive kit, i know there are some on the pro motive site but i want some different shots.....

do you work with yamahas? and if so where are you based?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users