51 replies to this topic

#46 Piddling Kid

Piddling Kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

i dont know how bad the rest of your scuttle is but i would go for a full one, are you replaceing the whole front? like both wings, front panel? what im trying to say is that while you have the other panels off and will need to paint them do as much as you can . non genuine panels arent all bad ive just had a full non genuine scuttle and its pretty good, but other non genuine panels ive had have been very poor its more down to luck with the cheap panels, but i would say try and save yourself some money and go for genuine when you can like the scuttle as this needs to be a good fit (if you dont want to take the chance).

that welder looks good for the money and like said before will be good for bodywork because you wont want high settings, which will make it easier for you to weld because it wont burn through the metal, id say go for 6mm wire if you didnt know (corrcet me if im wrong just what i use and found its good).

your going to need a grinder as your welds wont be that neat as youve only started welding (but everyone has to run the grinder round to neaten things up to be honest)

if your doing bits then leaving for a while (a few days) i would suggest getting a couple of cans of zince rich primer to prevent rust from setting in inbetween jobs (zince rich is rust resistant where as normal primer the rust can get through it and panels which look like youve done work on will have rust underneath)

but yeah get to it bud :)

#47 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

I was going to replace,

Front right wing, including A panel.
Lower right scuttle.
Rear Valence.

I bet when I start removing these panels I'll find more rot underneath, so I'll have to save up more in advance just encase.

Cheers for the help though mate :) can't wait to get started in a few months time.

#48 Piddling Kid

Piddling Kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

I was going to replace,

Front right wing, including A panel.
Lower right scuttle.
Rear Valence.

I bet when I start removing these panels I'll find more rot underneath, so I'll have to save up more in advance just encase.

Cheers for the help though mate :) can't wait to get started in a few months time.

you will also have to order rear valance closing panels aswel i would have thought, but yeah if its only those then you cant warrant doing the whole front.

#49 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

Have you checked the boot floor ??

This was my mini upto a few weeks ago..all sorted now :)

http://www.orrp.com/...p?topic=44133.0

#50 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

There is some rust and a hole in the right corner near the lights, as for the other side I can't see that well due to the petrol tank being there.

I think I'll need to do what you did in the other forum, just going to read through it now :).

EDIT:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by theIMAGE, 23 April 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#51 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

If you're after a welder then there's a cheap one here if you get there quick.

#52 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

Cheers for the link mate, but I'm completely broke for another few weeks until I get paid.

& both the treads on my rear tyres are worn down, so they need replacing as soon as possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users