39 replies to this topic

#1 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Hi, Where do people buy these pipes from? I figured that for a mini it needs to be a 50mm diameter pipe to fit the standard air box and approx 650mm long to reach the grille. Is 50mm too small a diameter performance wise? (I know that forced air as a means of improving bhp is not great but i dont want to LOSE any!) Also what are the advantages of running a second filter? The pipe will run into an air box with k&n element anyway. Finally do i risk carb icing? If so i will be able to remove it simply enough anyway, (say in the winter months). Its for aesthetics mainly and to fill a void in my engine bay.

(It would run from the larger hole on the left of the filter box and simply down to the grille.)

Should i do it?

Cheers,

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

a K&N filter in a drilled air box is as good as you can get

and when you start to drive there is lots of fresh cold air in the engine bay

thats what the grill on the front is for

#3 woody17

woody17

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Local Club: three valleys mini club

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

is that better than a 'normal k&n filter for performance?

#4 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

Woody 17, A k&n element in a drilled box is better than a pancake or cone, as proved via a Rolling Road session on the same car.

This is where i am at after about an hour in the garage. I had to move the horn over on the slam panel and remount it. The grille still fits fine. The second filter is mounted well and wont move or rattle. I just need some 50mm diameter flexible piping now and i cant find any. Any ideas anybody? (I mocked it up with some foam padding! :o)

Oh, and what are your opinions so far?

Cheers,

Edited by MrMini, 05 June 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#5 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

I saw an article a long time ago about forcing air in and pressures it generates. I cant remember everything but one key point it made was that to acheive positive pressure of around 1-2psi you would need an inlet of 60mm-80mm diameter and to be travelling in excess of 100mph.

so essentially, useless. Cold air is good for an engines performance but forcing air in i think is the wrong way to do it. Ideally you want to avoid CREATING turbulance which would be an adverse effect of what you were trying to achieve.

Your best bet would be to isolate the carb from as many heat sources as possible. i.e. exhaust, head, etc..

#6 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Woody 17, A k&n element in a drilled box is better than a pancake or cone, as proved via a Rolling Road session on the same car.

This is where i am at after about an hour in the garage. I had to move the horn over on the slam panel and remount it. The grille still fits fine. The second filter is mounted well and wont move or rattle. I just need some 50mm diameter flexible piping now and i cant find any. Any ideas anybody? (I mocked it up with some foam padding! :o)

Oh, and what are your opinions so far?

Cheers,

Yup, its proven many times that cone filters actually create turbulance and effect poerformance somewhat. I wouldnt run 2 filters as you want to reduce the amount of restrictions in the induction system.

#7 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

What i realised is the original hole sucked up alot of warm air because it is close enough directly above the exhaust manifold etc, by setting up the pipe i will be getting fresh air outside, hence it will be cooler. The second filter has an inlet of 100mm. :o

Edited by MrMini, 14 May 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

I'm with the others, think of the entire engine bay as a fresh air scoop fed through the grill. Find yourself some engine bay piccies for Mini Miglia racers to get an idea of what'd be required.

#9 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Ive seen the Mini miglias before, the intakes on them are beasts! It seems the set-up wont improve performance but will it do any harm? I just think its something different to look at :o

#10 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

The second filter has an inlet of 100mm. :o

but its still a restriction. annnnyway, the final decision is up to you. I was just advising you.

#11 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Oh yeah i know that mate! I aint trying to be funny about it. I have ordered some proper piping now so i guess the proof will be in the pudding. Ive not got much to lose really. Anyway i will keep you updated when the proper tubing arrives.

#12 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

dont worry, i didnt mean anything by my post. i was just a little miffed as to why you'd bother with something that could 'possibly' decrease performance rather than increase it. But things sometimes work against the theory and actually do work, so no hurt in trying :o

#13 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

MrMini, if i were you i would strongly listen to Mighty_mini. He knows whats he talking about, and has done for many moons lol.
I dont quite understand why you are wanting to use 2 filters? As daves pointed out, you are restricting the airflow twice as much with two filters?

#14 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

there is no performance benefit on using two filters, if you still want to use the air box why not take the filter out, run the piping to the front grill and have a cone filter on the piping at the front of the car? if thats the way you really want to do it. but as pie and mighty say, i see no point in it all.

#15 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

cone filters do sound good though :) lots of sucking noise :lol: so childish of me but hey, thats what i did it for back in my SU days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users