39 replies to this topic

#16 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

I'm not ignoring any advice, after all i asked because i am interested in peoples opinions. As i say i have a friend with a rolling road so plan to experiment. I will try with the drilled box alone, with the pipe and holes, pipe and no holes and then with both filters. I have been very interested in the range of responses from both this forum and others. At the end of the day from having a play around i should be able to give a true and honest answer on any affect it has on either bhp, tourque or anything else for that matter. The kit, (all be it the pipe) was lying around gathering dust in my garage so its been a bit of harmless fun! In my very first post i said i was not expecting improvements in bhp, but they must sell these things for a reason, right? Well we shall soon see anyway! :lol:

Thanks guys,

#17 joeqho

joeqho

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

hey mate, have you tested your kit yet? any result to show? any advantage and disadvantages? i am planning to get some of that too, but will try my best to shield the pipe and carb away from the heat, etc exhaust pipe..

#18 lee1293

lee1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

I'e also been looking into this, ive found a kit u can buy on huddersfield spares. u can buy the kit by itself but there is only a picture a with the stage 1 kit.

Attached File  1605_thumb.jpg   12.92K   15 downloads

Induction Kit helper

Increases the performance of your car by upto 5%, fits with bracket behind the grill, the extendable aluminium tube takes air from the grill and increes air flow around the filter

£49.00 (inc VAT)

Seems kinda pricy for some fancy tubing u can probly get and do urself for cheaper. but i do admit this kit does look better, what does everyone think?

#19 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

Sorry guys, I thought that i had updated this with my progress. I fitted a pipercross ram pipe with an air-tight seal either end. It sounds beautiful and really racey but i have not yet took the car for a drive due to not having tax, mot or insurance. I looked into this set-up alot and found that this set-up on a mini is PROVEN to reduce flat-spots and give more responsive acceleration. There is also a company that used to advertise 'ultimate airflow kits' in mini magazine about 3 years ago, when i rang them they claimed that at 65-75mph i could expect to get 2psi of boost. They also mentioned that the forced air kit improves overall BHP as proven on a rolling road although this was against a standard cone filter.

Anyway heres the completed article,

Attached Files

#20 lee1293

lee1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

look really nice, would love to hear from u once uve taken it for a spin! :)

#21 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

When on the road, put a boost gauge on it, I bet you don't see 2psi.

And how could they prove on an RR that it improved bhp? no RR I've ever used had a 60mph wind blowing through it!

#22 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:43 AM

When on the road, put a boost gauge on it, I bet you don't see 2psi.

And how could they prove on an RR that it improved bhp? no RR I've ever used had a 60mph wind blowing through it!

Hey mate, dont shoot the messanger! If it only smoothes out my flat spots i'll be happy.

:(

#23 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

sorry, not having a go at you, more the general BS spouted by people peddling stuff that may or may not do what it says.

The thing is if you only want to reduce flat spots, this is a very hit and miss approach. Assuming that you do improve the volume of air going into the carb (a big assumption) then this will only help if your mixture was rich to start with. If the flat spots are being caused by a lean mixture it'll be worse.

At a guess, if you have non-standard induction and exhaust but a standsrd dizzy, the chances are that the timing is the main cause of any flat spots. although looking at the photos it all looks standard.

The other thing I notice is that the air box has holes drilled in it, to get any benefit from a cold air pipe you'll need to block these up. I appologise if you have already mentioned that you plan to do this.

#24 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

The car is mostly standard at the moment as you have rightly pointed out. I still have alot of work to do on the car and once completed i am having the car fully set up by a friend who owns a rolling road. I will most likely fit a stage 1 kit and play with the head and carb a bit. Anyway once on the rollers i plan to do a few experiments including running the standard box no pipe, drilled box no pipe, pipe on drilled box and pipe on standard box. My thought was that if the carb sucked air then any air escaping back through the drilled holes can only be excess and unneeded air, but if the carb still wanted more air, (and the fuel mixture is most likely going to be on the rich side), then it can suck more in. I will admit that i am no expert but the fact i have a friend who is will be a huge help to me when it comes to actually getting some real proof and real figures.

Thanks again,

#25 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

You'd have to be flowing some mega air to see 2psi of manifold pressure. Taking into consideration 18+psi of vaccume yu have to cancel out first. so in my eyes.. cobblers.

also, the holes in the airbox together will more than likely greater the hole where the filter goes so air will opt to go through them instead. If your having flat spots etc its prob due to what you have done with the airbox. Removing the restrictions and allowing better airflow will need slight fuel adjustment.

try fitting a standard airbox unmolested on. if it solves the issue then just leave it or you can try giving the fuel 1/8th turn richer. :(

#26 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

The engine has not even been run yet but from past experience there has always been a flat spot or 2 when i have opted to tune a 998. I do also have a spare airbox just incase. I just wanted to show the photos of the set-up in situ but performance wise i really wont be able to post up RR print-outs for a good few months yet. Oh, and just to let everybody know, ... im just as intrigued as you guys! :(

#27 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

Oh i have just had a thought to what you said with regards to the drilled holes actually 'drawing' air out. It is true that a drilled airbox with k&n panel gives better performance than say a cone filter. This is well known. However almost every drilled airbox i have seen has had the warm air intake that draws air from the manifold removed, and so obviously there is a huge hole left, which to my knowledge does nothing to spoil the performance of the car in question. So, to my point, why is it that air lost through that hole does not spoil performance, yet i am going to be pushing air through that hole, (surely better?) and yet the other holes may be a problem? I am not sure if i am coming across clearly or not but basically the most popular type of drilled box has many holes and yet the box still performs well. The largest hole which i would have thought to have lost any air if any in this instance will have a constant,(whilst in motion) cold air supply, so surely it should be ok. (I am more than willing to be told its not.)

Please note that i am not trying to be awkward and i appreciate the effort and the time it is taking people to reply. I am not hiding the fact i know little about the topic in question and i am sure you are all plenty more knowledgable than me.

#28 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

its not a case of losing air out of the airbox, its that the carb will draw air in and it will follow the path of least resistance, which in the picture above will be through the holes in the airbox.

In my opinion its just a big waste of cash/time/effort, if there were any gains to be had from it then surely everyone would be using them...

#29 joeqho

joeqho

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

well juz let the testing to tell us about the actual result, so i'll look forward to the result later ya!

but anyway, even if its not too functional, i would think that would be some extra marks for the engine bay as well! personally i likes the look and layout of your engine bay, MrMini.

#30 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

well juz let the testing to tell us about the actual result, so i'll look forward to the result later ya!

but anyway, even if its not too functional, i would think that would be some extra marks for the engine bay as well! personally i likes the look and layout of your engine bay, MrMini.

Thanks mate. >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users