27 replies to this topic

#1 bananaman

bananaman

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I got chatting to a guy in the pub last night who works for the company who makes these, I understand the physics behind how it works, the design of the 'baffle' box creates a vortex within the exhaust that litterally sucks the gases out of the engine and tailpipe, virtually eliminating all back pressure.

Apparently it works best on an exhaust bore of 2 inches and up, and especially well on a turbo'd car. Any of you guys running pipes that big?

http://www.vortex-pe...exhausts.co.uk/

In the quest for power, everything helps, lol.

#2 spikyrob

spikyrob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Local Club: NW minis

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

... seems expensive for a backbox only, could be used effectively but until i see true dyno results one before, and one after, nothing else altered i won't be parting with any cash!

#3 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

Their power claims are hugely over inflated.
For a VW Golf: Before = 150BHP, after = 225BHP (and torque is almost doubled)
As we all know, if it was that easy the manufacturers would be doing it >_<

#4 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Another load of C**p im afraid. Eliminating back pressue is tosh and the last thing you want to do is create disturbances in the flow of the exhaust gasses.

Running a larger bore manifold reduces low end torque because the runners are bigger and reduce the backpressure. Peak torque will be shifted further up the revs. SO i cant see how eliminating backpressue would help in any way.

And before someone gets clever, yes regardings turbo's exhaust are much more irrelivant (after the exhaust housing), but thats due to the nature of its design.

Edited by mighty_mini, 21 May 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#5 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

It does seem like a total load of BS. The website is poorley written and has an awful amount of lies and half truths in it.

It also dosen't really explain what it does other than create a vacuum to 'suck the exhaust gas out'. Just think about this for a minute............. imagine blowing down a tube, the bigger the tube the easier it would be to blow; but can you imagine anything that obeys the laws of physics that would empty your lungs by sucking the air out just from the action of you blowing on it?

Perpetual motion springs to mind!

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

Isn't there a magical induction pipe that 'works' in much the same way?

#7 bananaman

bananaman

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

How it was explained to me. Inside the box, the exhaust gases pass around a shaped cone in the same way water flows through a plug hole (with the obstructive bit in the middle). This makes the exhaust gases spin as they exit the box and keep spinning down the pipe. Apparently this helps to redude the back pressure. I've seen something similar in large capacity fuel hoses, but then that's with a flowing liquid rather than a gas that is cooling down.

I had a look at the site too, lot's of boasts and promises but nothing you can look at to back up the story. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of them before.

#8 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:02 AM

I'd love to see this in a wind tunnel of sorts.. i'd bet my bottom dollar that the gasses wouldnt spin but more flow over the bumps, vortex's or whatever they are called.

Unfortunatly everywhere ESPECIALLY ebay is riddled with lots of these stupid things and 60% of the people are proplery sucked in by the wonders or the awesome products.. just like those electric superchargers lol. But that said, the theory is correct but in practice no 12v motor will ever supply the flow needed. but thats another can of worms altogether!

If its too good to be true, it probably is!

:huh:

#9 benno

benno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

The other thing is that if you put a cone in the flow of the gases, you immediatly have more friction between the gas and contact surfaces - ie energy is lost rather than added as it woud have to be to meet the claim.
Interseting topic to bring up for discuission though mate.

#10 vortexwebmaster

vortexwebmaster

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

Another load of C**p im afraid. Eliminating back pressue is tosh and the last thing you want to do is create disturbances in the flow of the exhaust gasses.

Running a larger bore manifold reduces low end torque because the runners are bigger and reduce the backpressure. Peak torque will be shifted further up the revs. SO i cant see how eliminating backpressue would help in any way.

And before someone gets clever, yes regardings turbo's exhaust are much more irrelivant (after the exhaust housing), but thats due to the nature of its design.

Backpressure is exactly that, pressure and it acts against the engine and slowing its motion. Try gradually blocking the end of your exhaust pipe and the backpressure will eventually stall your engine. You don't need to run a bigger bore because that slows down the flow of gas.

The race and rally results speak for themselves.

#11 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

I assume all F1 cars use this technology?

#12 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

they started to develop it but before it hit any of the cars on the grids it was banned. thats what i remember right or wrong.

#13 vortexwebmaster

vortexwebmaster

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

I assume all F1 cars use this technology?

No they can't use it. F1 cars have a very short exhaust system. If any of you are seriously interested in knowing how it works on cars come to the Chatsworth 50 years event on 7th and 8th June and meet us. Talk to the rally people who use this technology.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:06 AM

What major manufacturers are interested in licencing your products?

Why can't I find a patent application for it? Surely such a radical advance in engine efficiency is very valuable and ripe to be copied if unprotected?

Actually, I can't even find Vortex as a registered trademark for any equivalent product. Do you know Matt Griffin?

#15 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

superb, i'll give you credit for signing up to defend your product.

Can you supply me with some more in-depth testing and results with your exhaust system?

I would also love to try it, how about a bet?

Send me an exhaust, i will take it to my local dyno dynamics tuner and we will re-run my car (previously 283.5hp@fly) and again with your back box. Now my exhaust isnt standard but that will only increase the positive effects further surely.

If it makes more than 5hp i will purchase the exhaust, and if it doesnt.. i get to keep it free of charge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users