23 replies to this topic

#1 narayan

narayan

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

i want to put some 6x9s on the back shelf but ive heard some where that it dosent sound good. im looking for sound quality rather than loudness but i wouldnt mind speakers on the shelf so it dosent look empty. let me know on what u think

thanks

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

I've got some 6x9's on my shelf and imo they don't sound bad. I've put some dynamat down to help too tho...

#3 jam2005

jam2005

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

If your wanting a bit of bass I suggest to get 2 6x9's in the parcel shelf. The boot provides quite a large enclosure so acts almost like a sub box for the speakers.

#4 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Does your parcel shelf have a carpet piece on it.

If it does, then use it as a template and cut a parcel shelf out of MDF or Plywood. CUt your speaker holes in this wood, then use this as a base to put the speakers onto. It will basically be a mount between the metal shelf and the speakers.

Its just to stop the rattle and give a dense surface for the speakers to sit on...

Ive got my 6X9s under my rear bench. I prefer them there as they are in a sealed enclosure and are VERY bassy.

<|Ben|>

<|Ben|>

#5 lostininglewood

lostininglewood

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

If you're going for SQ then I wouldn't recommend 6*9's.

If you have a sub in the boot then I wouldnt' recommend 6*9's in the rear shelve.

If you want a decent compromise between SQ and SPL then I would say go for 6*9's. They will provide you with a good sounding full range speaker in the rear.

If you want pure SQ I would put 6 1/2" Components in the rear.

And for the $$ of a low end set of comps you can get a mid end set of 6*9s.

So if you're looking for some decent sound without breaking the bank, then 6*9's should sound fine in the rear of your mini. The 6*9's will provide you with more base also, as they can move more air.

*Dislcalimer: I am not an expert, and the above is purely based on my experience and information learned and collected.

lost.

#6 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

I put a set of 6x9s on the pacel shelf and some right next to the front cross member using enclosures I made myself(shown in picture). Even with out an amp they were absolutly quality in terms of bass & clarity. My friends thought I had an amp hidden somewhere but I honestly didnt.

Im gunna try and fit a sub on the rear parcel shelf but thats it as Im trying to get as much bass and clarity with as little weight as possible.

Attached Files

#7 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

rite simple thing really SQ= 6.5" coaxils direct replacement of factory speakers if ever fitted
SPL= 6x9's and on the parcelshelf there not even much good at this as the metal shelf starts to rattle.

Wouldn't go with comps in the back for the price diff over coaxils as the tweeter will be mounted that far away from the midbass speaker that they can cause probs.

#8 bankxi

bankxi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

them box's for the 6x9's look mint any chance u can send me a template so i can make some thay look ace

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

them box's for the 6x9's look mint any chance u can send me a template so i can make some thay look ace

Yeh, even better, one for the TMF_CD me thinks, and also if someone would like to do a template of the rear parcel shelf ??

I put a 10 Inch sub into someones, Mini big hole in the middle with crossovers from left and right channels.

#10 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

No problem guys. Who do I send it to then? The only problem I can think of with these are if the height of the speaker is different to mine in which case the box will need to be a bit taller. What I might do in the future is make a fibre glass mould and make some different designs up that will murge in to a center console.

Hopefully this will give me a light weight base for a small front mounted install.

#11 bankxi

bankxi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

sounds nice mate i want the cd lol

#12 narayan

narayan

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:44 AM

thanks for ur help people. i will post some pick when every things done and im happy with it. i would possibly be intrested in the template for those boxes.

ta

pete

#13 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

iv got some for sale...

covered in carbon fibre look stuff...

with speakers......£40

#14 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

Heres a very brief sketch of the install ill be making up. Once ive made it ill post the templates for this as well. It might be a bit more compicated though.

Ill post the templates for the small boxes once I get my scanner up and running

Attached Files

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:38 PM

Wow, thats a good sketch! You moving the seats quite far back, or will the seats sit slightly over the top of the speaker board?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users