#721 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central...

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

I Love those seats! Wouldn't mind a set myself, how much did they set you back?

#722 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

Not as much as they would do from a shop, i got them from an unfinished project that was being broken (or at least a change of plan)
So i pretty much got the seats plus 2 sets of runners, and posted for the price of 2 seats >_<

#723 knitandcrochet

knitandcrochet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

ed4ran - was just wondering what your car handled like now you have had it on the road for a while? If the back steps out do you have a fight on your hands to get it back in line or is it controllable and progressive? Is it communicative? I.e. does it just snap or do things happen gradually with a bit of warning?

Also what was the performance and gearing like with the tens?

Hope you don’t mind the questions; im just curios as to how mid car engine minis perform, esp swift gti ones!

#724 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

Well i cant say i have pushed it quite enough to answer everything,
but due to rubbish tires on the rear (13s just for motorway cruising) the back end has kicked out twice in the wet, but both times i have be able to correct. although the last time was quite scary!! >_< I think with the better tires on it would have been fine and probably not even lost grip as the fronts where fine on both occasions.

The gearing is very low (MPH wise) in terms of 1st is almost useless :ph34r: but i still set of with it i just change soon after. Town driving is good as in 5th it will go down to about 25mph and you can stay in 5th so you arent constantly changing gears, but motorway cruising is a little revvy, with 10s 70mph is 4500rpm, with 13s and quite big tires 70mph is 4000rpm. I am probably going to stick the tens back on though, as long as the rear brakes fit once i sort them out (drums to disc).

Im going to do a few little bits to tweak the suspension and stiffen it a bit as the rear springs are a little light at the mo >_<
but then it should improve handling a bit more.

#725 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Well a couple of things have happened over the last few weeks since MITP,
I have changed the rear suspension a bit, but may change it slightly again :)
I have started doing the top of the bulkhead now so i have got the card cut out. :turtle:
and i have just received a brand new radiator as the one i got was 2nd hand and leaked very slightly :)

Have done some other bits that i dont have picks of, like installing a Knock sensor, and Ive also put it back onto 10s on the rear!! :-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#726 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

Ohhh you've been busy!

How many knockers have you and Olive sensed so far? Teehee.

#727 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

How's the drum to disc for the rear coming on? Found any suitable calipers yet? I'm after a pair of hubs/discs to try a set of Saxo VTR calipers ones I have. I was going to go 4 pot with a hydraulic handbrake but MOT tetsers don't like the none functioning cycle cables I was going to add.

Alan..

#728 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

Im waiting for some sierra rear calipers *cough* MattG *cough* :-
But i have enough to do in the mean time :)
Got some hubs sat in the garage waiting, they will need cleaning though (which isnt one of my favourite things to do :turtle: )
Have got one or two things that I am going to change (like engine mounts) for better versions.

#729 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have spent most of this week working on James' mini though :- so havent done much on mine.

#730 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

Im waiting for some sierra rear calipers *cough* MattG *cough* :cry:
But i have enough to do in the mean time :dontgetit:
Got some hubs sat in the garage waiting, they will need cleaning though (which isnt one of my favourite things to do :) )
Have got one or two things that I am going to change (like engine mounts) for better versions.

Well got my hubs tonight & tried to fit the VTR calipers but it's a none starter, they're too big, so if anyone knows of any Sierra ones or I'm also told Rover 200 can be adapted,

Alan...

#731 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

Ive heard of swift gti ones being used, but they where on radius arms rather than hubs (used hubs on the front).
Will look into it when i get the calipers (unless you want to get some first :cry: )

#732 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

anyone looked at the MGF setup, supposed to use a metro subframe reversed so capliers and disks might not be too far off

#733 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

Ive heard of swift gti ones being used, but they where on radius arms rather than hubs (used hubs on the front).
Will look into it when i get the calipers (unless you want to get some first :cry: )

Trying to get hold of some, but like all development stuff if you buy the wrong stuff it can end up costing a fortune. I think because of all the Locost lookalikies that use the Sierra caliper it's pushing the price of them up.

I 'think' the Rover group 200, MGTF etc. all use the same caliper again the problem is picking a set up cheap enough to try, with the knowledge they may not work & have to be binned.

Now why do I not know somebody who owns a scrapyard.

Alan...

#734 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

lol, good job im getting them free :) he just needs to find one (its in the depths of his garage somewhere :cry: )

#735 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

We had starting issues after changing the head gasket. And a problem with one of the leads. So ed the genius got it working like he normally does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users