782 replies to this topic

#736 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

I think you posted in the wrong page, also it was probably my fault it happened anyway :cry:

#737 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:56 PM

Spent a lot of last week fitting new bits to my brothers car, and so i got some bits done whilst waiting for the stuff to be delivered.
I have managed to get the top parts of the bulkhead done (apart from the hatch),
so tomorrow i plan to cut the hatch and sort a few other bits for 2 trips next week :D

Posted Image
The blue is just the protective plastic so ill remove that once ive finished the bits in that area.

#738 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

Havent been up to too much with the car over the last week or so as i went for a job interview (200mile round trip) followed by another 200mile round trip the next day, then ive been a little down for a couple of days, and busy over the weekend.

But i have managed to get the lid for my bulkhead done :) just need riveting to the hinge that is already there, although im waiting as im going to be changing the clutch as well as a couple other things and have better access without the lid on (also with the boot open).

I started with cutting the alloy to size (not easy when you dont have a guillotine)
then making a metal frame to support it all as well as lots of drilling and riveting.
There are 2 latches that hold it down, but i may put 2 more on halfway along.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have several things im going to do whilst i have it apart to change the clutch,
a lot of cleaning and painting of brackets that i never got around to doing
as well as some new diff seals and possibly reseal the engine sump (needs new sump plug anyway).

#739 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

On wednesday this turned up :kiss:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

... and on tuesday the new clutch kit turned up (standard one)
It is now at a machinist having the ring gear put on and the pressure plate balanced to it.

I was away again thursday so didnt get anymore done, but may see what happens tomorrow.

#740 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

any news on this ed4ran?

#741 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Kind of,
i have fitted the lightened steel flywheel after having it balanced and its a lot smother now,
and ive stopped the odd rattle which has improved it.

Also recently i have plumbed the heater back in (this sunday), i found i was getting cold after putting the bulkhead in, especially with this cold weather.
I havent been on much over the past few weeks as two weeks ago i started my first proper job (as in not working around something else or at weekends)
Which has also meant i have had to move into my own little flat as its 90 miles from lincoln.
So on sunday i drove back from lincoln to Newcastle-under-lyme, and it decided to snow from half way till i got to my flat which was fun in a rear wheel drive mini :D Luckily keeping a steady foot and not going to fast (just enough so i could see out the window) i made it back alright even it if did take ages.

Having a job now means i can even start buying some nice things for the mini (after ive paid off all my initial moving costs),
although im not sure what i should do(too many plans and not all relevant to my current setup :lol: )

Will be getting another car start of next year so less stress on the mini as a daily driver. :angel:

#742 MadManX237

MadManX237

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: Mig

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

Brilliant. Read the whole thing and very impressed.
Been looking into motorbike engined minis but really like what you've done.
I've built a few cars from the shell up but never really played with where the engine goes.
Brilliant! :)

#743 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hello all,
Olive has been running great,
well at least till last friday :ph34r:

Attached File  29.JPG   81.38K   52 downloads

Attached File  30.JPG   66.42K   55 downloads

Basically the pot holes around the area seem to have hurt my ball.....joints
So as i was leaving work on friday, at 1:30 (as you do :xxx: )
i left the car park and went over the speed bump, then BANG
one wheel hanging by its driveshaft, handbrake cable, and steering arm :cry:
I was suppose to be driving back to Lincoln (2hr trip)!!!
Long story short i got recovered and taken from Stoke on trent back to lincoln :D
wasnt pleasent getting Olive on or off the truck though :P (the guy just dragged her with 1 wheel hanging off!!! :o ) i have a video on my phone.

Saturday went to the local motorfactors :genius: got a balljoint set, and in the rain took the hub off, and removed what was left of the balljoints and put the new ones on, all with James standing over me with an umbrella, (ok i took the hub into the garage to fit the new ones, but everything else was done in the rain)

Ed

#744 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Good to see this still goin, are you using it as a daily then? well done if you are, testament to your skillzz :genius:

Saw yours and your bro's cars on the new Minifilms t'other week, lookin good :D Tho i must say, was a little disappointed to not see them at their full potential. What was the problem in the end?

#745 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

glad to see you back on the road again :D

#746 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

:ph34r: was a quick fix, just helped that I had recovery, especially back to lincoln, wouldnt have had the tools to do it otherwise :D
although work said i could have stuck it in the works garage and fixed it during the week.

Yeah im using it daily, it also does 180miles every other weekend (back and forth to lincoln).

Yeah things where a little rushed, the day before i had an interview for the my job,
and so did 190miles in the day before then getting home at 8:30 to then spend my evening in the garage working on my brothers car (till 1:00am)
also trying to get his new alloy 4pots on and bled (which didnt work) then in the morning (5am) going back out into the garage to try and bleed the brakes again only to give up and fit his old ones, this made us late and not being able to find the track didnt help :genius:

The main problem is the acceleration enrichment on both cars, it definitely needs playing with, and the chip in James' is being upgraded soon.
Mine has already had a few things done (lightened flywheel etc) and has more planned, its a shame really as its running alot smoother than it was that day, and i reckon i could nock down the 0-60. Oh well. Im trying to find the time to do an incar vid.

Ed.

#747 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

Ouchy about the balljoint! Good job it was at low speed though, hate to think about the damage that could have been done!

Is the balljoint bottoming out then?

#748 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

I think my suspension is and with no bump stop so it hits solid,
so im just going to make more clearence and possibly increase the damper strength.

#749 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ello Ed >_<

Is Olive all sorted now from the nasty pot holes? I hope so :)

I'm back in Lincoln if you're that way at all from tomorrow until June, for more mini shenanagans :w00t:

Edited by *Bec*, 15 December 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#750 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

Yeah she is fixed >_< Got it fixed the next day, took about 2hrs, and cost £10 :)
Will be back in lincoln from 22nd, although going to Dads for Xmas, but will be back on boxing day. :w00t:

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users