36 replies to this topic

#16 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

yeah its always hard your first year. i got my insurance the night before i was due to pick the car up in the morning. did online quotes and thought it was all fine, but when it finally came to it noone quoted me under £2k until i was running out of ideas and suddenly thought of admiral. theyre a *rubbish* insurer but managed to get it at £1500. now with 1 years NCB at 18 i managed to get it down to £988, surprisingly using a price comparison site to find it. but as a general rule price comparison sites are useless and ive found online quotes arent up to much either. best way is to call them up

#17 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:40 AM

hi,

just a quick question

is anyone else, around 17 years old, receiving ridiculous quotes.

today i had a look around for the cheapest price for an 1994 1000cc worth about £1500 and the quote came back at a huge £2789.98 a year 3rd pft

surley this can not be justified

so, is anybody else having this problem?

thanks

Been on a comparison site... Expect a phone call once my office opens :rolleyes:

#18 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

Insurance is justified, as its not the value of your car there worried about so much, its the damage you do to other peoples property when you crash, just think your insurance will pay out millions of pounds in the event of a serious accident, and all that for 3k.

The other issue along with your age, is your location, and possibly your job if you have one.

When I was 17 the best way I found to get a quote was not on the internet, or the proce comparison sites, but it wsa to sit there and ring all the main insurance comapnies up and chat to them over the phone. The better ones were those with 0800 numbers, I think I managed to get a yugo 45a (yeah don't laugh) insured for £700 tpft

#19 ricky_mini

ricky_mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

i found liverpool victoria cheapest for me in my 1st year, iirc it was about £900 3rd party.

have since realised that if you stick a parent/older driver as a named driver on your policy with some companies the price comes down :rolleyes:

#20 scoticus

scoticus

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

thanks every1...

all that has been greatfully recieved (make sence?)

#21 Natalie

Natalie

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

It might be worth actually going into a brokers and getting a few quotes in their shop.

Edited by Natalie, 11 August 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#22 B-shaw

B-shaw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: www.clubpolo.co.uk

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Websites are useless
Not a mini but the cheapest i got on the internet was 2.6K on a 1993 1.3 polo.
I'm now paying 1.5K (still a lot, but cheapest I could find) with Adrian flux
That's 3rd party and breakdown cover (which is very good may I say)

they cocked up with me direct debits (they forgot to set it up lmao, i haven't paid anything yet but there fixing it now) but other than that they've been more than helpful.

#23 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

no wonder there are so many people (albeit idiots) on the road without insurance wjen companys are giving quotes like this, bit of a never ending circle.
Idiots drive without insurance because they cant afford it, then companys increase the cost of insurance due to said idiots not having it :)

#24 jordie 08

jordie 08

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Local Club: no club

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

i think i will have more problems than u
iv got a heavily modified 1380,woopsy
can see mee gawn for a bog standart,tax free 850

#25 scoticus

scoticus

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

no wonder there are so many people (albeit idiots) on the road without insurance wjen companys are giving quotes like this, bit of a never ending circle.
Idiots drive without insurance because they cant afford it, then companys increase the cost of insurance due to said idiots not having it :)

COULDNT AGREE MORE...

#26 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

when i was 17, i went with norwich union direct i think, and i had a rover mini cooper 1275cc, with stage 1, and under my name and fully comp it was £1450. i did get stupid quotes for like 4k :S

#27 ash

ash

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

My younger brother is 17 and has a 998, pretty much unmodified, and is paying just over £1300. He called round the adds in the back of Mini Mag/Mini World. Guess it depends what part of the world you live in as well.

#28 dmdangermouse

dmdangermouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Local Club: Staffs Minis

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

I had a similar thing last year when i was 17 insuring a 998cc mini Sky in my name.
I think i got £1400 but it was on a really good policy that gave me a years no claims after 9 months. So now its droped to £600 and i've upgraded to a Cooper :)

#29 x06jsp

x06jsp

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

i was quoted 2000 for my 1.4 corsa and then i added my dad on as a second driver and the price went down to 1400 and im with Norwich union and they do a thing for young drivers where you pay for 9 months and if you havent claimed in the 9 months that counts as a years ncb and it carries on like that so in 1.5 years you have 2 years ncb etc etc...

its a good idea.

Josh

#30 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Have you tried a quote on an older mini with a 998 rather than a 1275?

I was in your shoes nearly two years ago - wanted to build up my NCB so i got a 998. It was suprisingly cheaper to ensure. My mate was paying the same amount as me on a 1275 but he was on his dad's policy. I was building a NCB, he wasn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users