478 replies to this topic

#46 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:56 AM

Not at the mo, want to have it wrapped up pretty soon. However I'm off to I'm busy this half of the week, will try and get some done this weekend. Doesn't look like I'll make MITP. And I'm off to Spain early September. I'll try though...

Need to sort out the 1425 for Castle Combe in October....

#47 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

Well.... After my fair share of problems:

Gear lever problem

Accelerator cable problem

Wiring /Starter motor problem

I've now got it started!!! I did have a bit of trouble doing the timing for the first time ever but think its ok. And I did but the HT leads on with 3 and 4 swapped by accident once, which made for some back-firing that sounded like a small atom bomb was exploding in my clutch housing!!

But for now the engine starts and runs...

List of things to do now;

Fit and plumb in radiator.
Fit a new pipe from brake master cylinder to slave.
Wack in the clevis pin in the clutch arm (won't go in at the moment!!)
Bleed brakes and clutch.
Fit steering coloumn
Fit seats and harness
Weld up the holes
Make hazards work!

I think thats it for now!

#48 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

Quick update. Haven't done a great deal in the past few weeks due to holidays. Still, I've managed to plumb in the cooling system, sort out the clevis pin (I had the clutch plunger upside down!!!), fit the steering column, fit one of the seats, made hazards work.

I've also just ordered a SPA digital speedo, and two Formula series wing mirrors. Trying to find a roll cage with harness bar as well. And I've decided to upgrade the MiniSport 4 pots to KAD 4 pots in preperation for the Vtec.

Nearly done now, was hoping to have this done for the South East Kent TMF meet, but looking doubtful, will try though, maybe the week after...

#49 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

Well how things change in a few weeks!! I had got to a point where I just had to fit new rear brake pipes, a new front to back brake pipe, and sort out the welding. I had fitted my new KAD 4 pots, a Mountney snap-off steering wheel and boss, got everything sorted, and this is a picture of it a hour or so ago....

Posted Image

Let me explain whats happening...

When I started to pull away the rotten panels I found a bit more rust than I had hoped for. Meaning it would take longer than expected to sort out. In the mean time my 1425 (that was suffering from doing a 1 mile daily commute) is costing me a lot on insurance and running costs, it also had a clutch bearing that needs replacing.

So I've decided to do two things, one is rip out the engine I have JUST put in the Clubby, strip the body down, have it taken back to bare metal, get the shell in A1 condition, strengthen a few points, flipfront it, spray it and fit the Honda engine. The other thing is to put the 998 from the clubby in the Bill Richards 1425, which will save me money (to put into the clubby) and allow me to sort out a couple of things with the 1425.

So as of tomorrow, this offically becomes a VTEC CONVERSION thread!! :grin:

#50 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Also thought it would be a good time to introduce everyone to the Ecto 1 Volvo...the same one that got to Gibraltar and back on the Race to Africa!.

Posted Image

#51 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

So as of tomorrow, this offically becomes a VTEC CONVERSION thread!! :grin:

That will explain the avatar............... :cool:
Once you've gone jap, you never go back!!!!!!
Watch this space, there will be a "bill richards 1425" for sale soon? :w00t:

Mark :wales:

#52 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

Good to hear mate.

#53 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

Hmmm, doubt I'll be selling the 1425, I want to do some racing with it, in fact I was thinking about finding a minus for it... :fear: ssssshhhhhh

#54 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

What about the pickup?

#55 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

Probably selling to buy a Honda donor car..

#56 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

Just off the phone to my insurance company HIC (Mini World Insurance), who've provided me with a 12 month quote for my Vtec Clubby as if I was going to take out the policy today. It won't be the same by the time I'm actually ready to take up the policy but it provides me with a figure at the least!

Circumstances, 20, one accident in May this year, 1 year NCB*, 1 years driving experience, car to be garaged :fear: 5k limited mileage policy, Classic Car policy*, car to be used for social, domestic, pleasure and communting use.

Car: 1.6 Vtec engine from a 90-92 Civic VTi (standard), rollcage, modified interior, alloys, uprated brakes and suspension.

Premium if I was to take out a 12 month policy today £1200.

I was astonished, I was paying £600 more than that on my 1425!!! And that has less power! Makes me wonder how much it would go up for a Type R engine!

*The guy I spoke to went and spoke to his manager to confirm that this could be done on a Classic Car policy. I imagine that the preminum would significantly increase if it wasn't on a classic policy. He also said, with it being on a classic policy, it doesn't take any NCB into account, and your tied into it for a year. I couldn't hear him very well at this point so couldn't hear him explain exactly what this meant, so if anyone knows more about NICs (Mini World Insurance) Classic Car policies I would love to hear from you.

My main concern about this project upto now was that the insurance would be up in the thousands and wouldn't allow me to carry on with this project, but I am more than happy to pay this premium. By the time I should have this project finished, I will probably be 21, and may even have 2 years driving experience and 2 years NCB, which would lower the premium even more.

So the way is clear for me to press on with the VTEC!!!! WAHOOO!!!!

I decided on the colour scheme the other day, and I'm very excited about hows it going to look. Once I've finished fitting the 998 in my other mini I'll be stripping the Clubby down ready for body repairs, flipfront, and respraying!

#57 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Sounds excellent Jammy! I would love to have the bottle to do a VTEC ot type-R conversion!

#58 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well whats holding you back MMM?

#59 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

LOL, I reckon I could give you a load of BS excuses, but nothing to be honest. I would love to get this 1400 finished and then keep it whilst doing up another Mini!

Finances might sting a bit though! lol

#60 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

Circumstances, 20, one accident in May this year, 1 year NCB*, 1 years driving experience, car to be garaged :fear: 5k limited mileage policy, Classic Car policy*, car to be used for social, domestic, pleasure and communting use.

Car: 1.6 Vtec engine from a 90-92 Civic VTi (standard), rollcage, modified interior, alloys, uprated brakes and suspension.

Premium if I was to take out a 12 month policy today £1200.

That is Great! :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users