Mark :wales:

#62 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

Cheers for that Mark. Still not sure I like the extended round noses, at a glance you can't really tell, but from certain angles its obvious.

Gave Quaife a phone call at lunch. Was asking them whether they could make up a custom FD to make the Honda gearbox more suitable for 10" wheels. Unfortunately they only sell FDs to go with their own 5 speed close ratio gear kits. They cost £1350 and the lowest FD they do is 3.76 which is still too large, IMO.

However, looking round on there website unveiled a universal 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Added to this they produce a 4x4 system. Tis the stuff of dreams, but its a 5 figure dream!!!

Looking increasing likely that I will have to settle for Watsons 3.7 FD unless someone can tell me of a company that would make a one off FD for me???

#63 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

Jammy I've just looked through your project, and those KAD's could be the nicest wheels I've ever seen!!! Verrry nice!

#64 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

Well isn't it just typical, you wait ages for one Honda 1.6 VTEC engine to come along and then you get two! :dontgetit: Here's how it happened.

I'd been watching various sources for months in anticipation of getting my engine, and with the sale of my pickup project I'd really gone to town to get one! I missed one B16a2 engine on Ebay for £225 because I but my bid in 2 seconds too late, and missed a complete Del Sol donor car for £650 because I thought I could get the car cheaper by letting the Ebay auction run (it was on £500 til dying minutes and ended up going for over £800)!!

Anyway, with my refusal to pay more than £500 for a B16 engine I had started to consider my options. So, on Monday just gone I put a £50 deposit down on a '96 Civic with a 1.6 SOHC Vtec (30bhp less than the DOHC). For £250 I can take anything off the car I like! I though great, that gives me enough money to Megasquirt it and generally make the power up a bit. The SOHC is also a fair bit lighter than the DOHC, and gives more power per kg!

However, this didn't stop me keeping an eye on a couple of engines I had on my Ebay watchlist. And this afternoon I stuck in a bid on an B16 engine that was at £180 with 1 minute left. My £260 bid meant I won it for £256.50!! Quite close I'd say.

Anyway, I will get both engines back to A_SERIES_SUPPLIES workshop where we'll decide which engine to use. The rolling shell of my Clubby will be heading down there in the next week or two and things will really get going.

Quick Spec list:

1.6 VTEC (either DOHC (150bhp) or SOHC(130bhp))
Megasquirt ignition and injection (with traction control among a few other extras)
Carbon Roof
Miglia Arches covering....
10x7 KAD Magnesium wheels
Composite flipfront
Carbon boot
LED rear lights
Bespoke dash incorporating Sat Nav, MegaTune and stereo system.

Theres a few more tricks to be confirmed as well! :D

#65 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

I'd say seeing as you have the choice (well done by the way) go for the DOHC engine, is there much of a weight difference over the two? I think (though I am not certain) there are alot more tuning options for the DOHC. Not that you really need much more than like 150bhp in a mini! :D

There are loads of tuning firms to look into for the VTECs though, Apexi, HKS etc. all big names with alot of experience.

Are you any closer to sorting out diff ratios etc? I seem to remember you wanting to run it on 10s.

#66 Ctr Vtec.

Ctr Vtec.

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

It needs a lot more mods.

Ctr Vtec.

#67 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

It needs a lot more mods.

Ctr Vtec.

Could you elorborate on this pwease? :D Which would need a lot more mods, and to achieve what sort of power output?

The DOHC VTEC puts out just over 1.15bhp per kg (150bhp for 130kgs). The SOHC puts out just over 1.4bhp per kg (130bhp for 90kg). So I'm undecided yet. The physical dimensions are quite similar I believe so we'll see. I need to look into whether I can get a Quiafe LSD for this D16 (SOHC VTEC) engine.

#68 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

So you are not going to attach a car to the engine??!!

#69 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

how does the total power:weight compare then with those figures?

I still say DOHC because it sounds better isn't it!!! lol :D

#70 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

Not a huge difference. If you have a 500Kg car (no engine), would be something like

130bhp = 220bhp/ton

150bhp = 240bhp/ton

#71 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Attach a car to the engine?!? :dontgetit: That would just slow it down! :D

I just worked those figures out comparatively. I'm not sure how much tuning potential there is for either engine?? It really is 50/50 at the mo. If I can get the D16 to 150bhp I may just go with that since its already lighter, but it depends how much I'd have to spend to get it there, since the B16 already offers that.

I'm aiming for a minimum of 250bhp per tonne and an ideal of 300bhp per tonne.

(metric tonne (sorry if thats the wrong spelling!). Tonne being 1000kg!)

#72 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

I think you would struggle to get 300bhp/ton with the 150bhp engine!!

#73 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

I think you'd struggle to even get 250 bhp/tonne with 150bhp, since the car would have to weigh 600kg!

#74 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

I think you'd struggle to even get 250 bhp/tonne with 150bhp, since the car would have to weigh 600kg!

I know 300bhp per tonne is quite optomistic, but 250bhp should be acheivable considering a manual Clubby in standard spec is 638kg.

Weights

#75 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

:D yeah, but that's before he's carried out any mods. You are assuming he is keeping standard POWER figures :dontgetit:

I reckon he might have a few tricks up his sleeve yet chaps! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users