Photo
- - - - -

Police! I'm Sure They Have A Problem With Mini's!

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 lawnmowercrap

lawnmowercrap

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Local Club: Small 'n' Mighty Mini's

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

I've been driving my 1980's Clubman for just short of a month, and have been pulled 3 times already!!!! And the best bit is 2 of them were in the space of 5 minutes!!!!

The first time they claimed was a 'routine inspection'. I had been driving it for a day, the osf wing was loose as the weld had broke. The front number plate was smashed and in the front window. The nsf light cluster was smashed. I genuinely thought 'oh apple here we go'
He took a look round the car, rang it through along with my name and realised that I had insured, taxed and MOT'd it the day before. His first question was 'Were you driving the car anytime before that' What a goddamn stupid question. No I hadnt, but if I had would I fess up to it? No!! He then questioned why I had four new tyres. To which I replied that I had also had 4 new wheels, he looked shocked and amazed. He let me on my way, with my wing flapping in the wind and my number plate smashed up, not even bothered about said faults.

The second time I had my black and silver plates fitted, which I believe are illegal unless your reg is pre-1976. I had re-welded my wing. And had repaired the light cluster, though due to corroded connections/terminals was not working so I had temporarily wired an indicator up behind my grille and had no nsf sidelight.
Again, the woman claimed it was a 'routine inspection' and looked round the car. She commented on how nice the number plates looked and that she had not seen me around before. She rang my details through, and they came back fine so she let me on my way.

Then, just 5 minutes later I was driving down the same road where I had just been pulled, when a copper on the side of the road with a hand held gatso waved me to pull me over. I did so, got out the car. He said 'I've just registered you going 34mph in a 30mph zone' I apologised, shaking in my boots as I only passed my test a month ago so 3 points would have been crippling on my already expesive insurance. He then said 'Have you got any points on your license?' I said no, he laughed and pulled out a yellow notebook, which I am assuming was a speeding ticket.
Whilst this was happening, his colleague was ringing my details through, I heard the same voice of the woman officer come through and say 'I've just pulled that car over, Inspected it and it's fine' He then walked up to the guy with the notepad thing and said we've got to go.
He turned to me and said 'you've got very lucky we've got to go to another job, just go' I wasnt going to refuse so off i plodded.
I spoke to my uncle who is a copper in a neighbouring town and he said that they have been told to pull cars over for 'apparent' speeding and give it a check over to make sure its fine, which is obviously what this guy was doing!!! I know I wasn't speeding, and would they really have got me over for 4mph???

My uncle is a copper but I hate them so indearly, yes they are doing their job but for christs sake leave me alone!!!!!!

Please tell me I'm not alone, have any of you other mini drivers you get pulled more or it just me???
I hate to rant but im so annoyed....
Apologies for the long read... Lee.

#2 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

O, I think Police just seem to have a problem in general. Ok they do a great job, just none of them seem to look at the good side of anything!!

Jack.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hang on, you drive a car, on a new licence that you know is unfit for the road, and then you end up speeding and your critiscing the police?? I'd say you're extremely lucky not to have had any fines or points so far!!

#4 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hang on, you drive a car, on a new licence that you know is unfit for the road, and then you end up speeding and your critiscing the police?? I'd say you're extremely lucky not to have had any fines or points so far!!

so would i

#5 jammiedodger26

jammiedodger26

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

snap!

#6 lawnmowercrap

lawnmowercrap

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

I was only driving it during the day time for the first couple of days due to the smashed light, I have been searching for some light clusters but theygo for £100 a pair easily and are rarer than rocking horse s##t. The bottom weld on the wing was broken so was flapping but was still firmly welded to the car so it wasnt going anywhere.

And as for the speeding, I have recently had my clocks re-calibrated and fitted a new speedo cable, there is no way Iwas doing over 30mph i'm afraid.
Yes I still have a sidelight out, hence why I dont have just my sidelights on i always put my dip on straight away.

Edited by lawnmowercrap, 31 August 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#7 mini_kel

mini_kel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,851 posts
  • Local Club: EMC/No pub mini club

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

I think you have been lucky!!!

How did the car pass the said MOT with no. plate and indicator smashed and the front wing loose??

#8 ProjectMusho

ProjectMusho

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Local Club: www.elmo.freeforums.org

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

I got pulled over cause i was doin about 35 to 37 in a 30 ( stupidly i admit that i was being a bit stupid and yes the police pulled me over and yes i was in the wrong) they checked my car over as it is there job and i have to admit the police wer kind and fine about it jst said calm dwn a bit and i knew i was in the bad and accepted it. my point is there only doin there job and checkin the car cause there are so many out there that are unlicenced, dodge MOT'ed and illegal. And at the end of it they complimented my car :shy: and they liked it so i dnt think its mini drivers they pull over.

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

I haven't been pulled over in years, so no their not picking on Mini owners.

:shy:

#10 lawnmowercrap

lawnmowercrap

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

I think you have been lucky!!!

How did the car pass the said MOT with no. plate and indicator smashed and the front wing loose??

All above were on the advisory sheet. As to why they didn't fail it i'm unsure

#11 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

O, I think Police just seem to have a problem in general. Ok they do a great job, just none of them seem to look at the good side of anything!!

:shy: you what?!

They are doing their job and as others have said you have been lucky.

Not to jinx it now I hope but Ive not been pulled over, and I can assure you its not ''picking on minis''. However I have been followed by an un marked cop car last week, :shy: that was fun, but I was being a good girl. As usual :shy:

Edited by *Raz*, 31 August 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#12 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image

Im going do Monty like that Taffy :shy: so I can go to work in my Police car and make the other Police cars look wubbish :shy:

Edited by *Raz*, 31 August 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#14 twiggy

twiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Must say the Police in Southend area are mini friendly, I've never been pulled :shy:

#15 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

Posted Image

That Minis in this months Mini Mag! :shy:

Ive never been pulled over, but the fella got stopped in his mini and told that his wheels stuck out too far (they stuck out about an inch) apparently it was dangerous as he may suck pedestrians under his car! :shy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users