#16 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

as big as realisticly posible.

A huge dished wheel would surely increase scrub radius, which would create torque steer.

thats why you need to invest in a quaiffe lsd.

A limited slip diff on an engine with alot of torque would only increase the likelyhood of torque steer. The has been discussed numerous times on the 16vminiclub.

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

Are you sure? An LSD should limit power going to the slipping wheel, a number of people have said they've fitted ATBs to cars that have previously had torque steer and its cured the problem (though torque steer is a product of suspension angles).

#18 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Im sure the thread i read (regarding a c20xe) someone fitted one and noticed an increase in torque steer due to the power going to one wheel. I'l try and find the thread.

#19 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

16v mini club link

Thats the thread i was referring to. If i've interpreted it incorrectly then i will stand corrected.

Edited by RacingGreen, 09 September 2008 - 06:36 PM.

#20 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

Some D series engines are still Vtec.

6 pots will fit under those wheels, 4 pots might not, and personally 4 pots aren't a huge amount better than Cooper S, other than a little bit lighter (though that mass is removed from the unsprung mass, so twice as good). KAD 6 pots will fit under those wheels, and will give you just about the best braking you can get with 10" wheels. £300 extra isn't a great deal of money when compared to spending £300-450 on brakes, hubs, etc, £600 on a Quaife LSD, £750 on split rims, etc. But as I say, it all depends on the application, a B series with Cooper S or Alloy 4 pots will be fine for general fast road usage.

yes but d series vtec why? - hmm, "most" are sohc. and people don't tend to want to use them for performance apps or install in minis so had automatically discounted those.

alloy 4pots for the price are better compared to both new and used cooper s calipers (rebuild costs and age). lightness and swept pad area are benefits. IMO KAD 6pots, as good as they are, are overkill in most road applications. nice to have but too coslty and unecessary

currently i have metro vented on my "heavy" c20xe setup and are more than adequate with that engine weight and heavy 7x13's, and as you know redtops are generally more torquey so braking is key. i have also used alloy 4pot 7.9" vented with the c20xe (with 13" and 10" wheels) and were more than adequate. better pad compound like 1144 made them superb.

#21 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

Not sure how a LSD would increase Torque Steer, something not right there.

However i would us larger wheels if using an engine such as the Redtop on the based i would want a larger foot print from my tyres. Also the fact they allow larger brakes.

#22 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

Is it really an increase in torque steer when using an LSD, or is it more to do with a difference in power distribution between the front wheels? :thumbsup:

So, in a straight line I wouldn't think that an LSD would increase torque steer, but in cornering I would think you may get a different feel from an LSD as you give different levels of power transmission?

I dunno to be honest, but I do know that I'm going for 10" wheels on my XE conversion. I'm going to see how it goes, see what the grip's like and go from there. I'm willing to swap to 175/50x13's if I have to, but the contact patch isn't actually that much greater on the 13" wheel anyway IMO.

#23 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

ah but Matt greater is greater.... and if torque steer is a problem then i would be after all the contact patch i could get.

#24 vtec_miniestate

vtec_miniestate

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Local Club: Torbay Mini Club

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

To be honest at the moment i am more concerned about which kit to buy...

I am going to use my 10x6 wheels anyway and more than likely go for the mini sport 4 pots (can't stretch to the kad's really) Through my readings i have discounted the watson kit due to it using metro parts for the suspension and steering making 10's a pain to fit, the only other kit's i could find were the sae and the allspeed one's. Has anyone got any previous knowledge of fitting either of these?

Ta :thumbsup:

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Easy question, Allspeed everytime! Just search on 16V Mini Club for both. :thumbsup:

#26 vtec_miniestate

vtec_miniestate

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Local Club: Torbay Mini Club

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

I shall do just that :thumbsup:

#27 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

i have the allspeed big block frame and can vouch for the quality. customer service is also very good - Rob will always make time to discuss questions, test drives, show work going on in his garage etc.

cannot really see any problem with using 10's - contact patch is adequate and the rolling diameter is only slightly less than 13's but might make motorway crusing a little harsh though - high revs at 70 etc. OK on 13's.

you can change the F20 gearbox that comes will the redtop lumps to an F18 WR diesel ox, this gives better gear ratios but final drive is the same IIRC.

torque steer can be dialled out but getting the suspension set up properly. i have mine done by northampton motorsport. hardly any torque steer then again i tend to feed power in gradually rather than stomping on the gas.

Edited by maph2, 10 September 2008 - 12:16 PM.

#28 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

ah but Matt greater is greater.... and if torque steer is a problem then i would be after all the contact patch i could get.

I agree with that 100%, well 99%. Greater is greater but is not always 100% necessary. If contact area IS an issue, then yes I'd upgrade. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm doing a custom frame for my install so can't speak for the quality of various frames, but I've heard that Allspeed is Allgood! :thumbsup:

#29 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

you also have the issue of tyre wall flex with 10's due to running essentially ballon tyres. 13's mean less tyre wall and therefore more efficent use of the tread.

I am sure my trusty side kick Maph will provide a link to a study on this. I would but i cant remember where it was.

#30 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

you also have the issue of tyre wall flex with 10's due to running essentially ballon tyres. 13's mean less tyre wall and therefore more efficent use of the tread.

True dat. :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users