Photo

Any Other Young Drivers Having Insurance Problems?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Im soon to be 17 and thinking of buying a small hatchback car to run around in (until my Mini is up and running) so got some quotes over the phone.

I got quoted £1300 for a 1.4 Renault 5 - thought it was cheap for fully comp. Then they tell me I cant have monthly payments so its like £1300 in one lump!! which I cant afford!

Then, got another, if I was on my parents insurance, same car, as a named driver it would be £1400 and I CAN pay monthly. However, it gets worse - Im not sure how they work it out but its £192 a month!!!!!!! (due to interest or something)

So how is everyone else thats 17 getting round the insurance problem?

Cheers

#2 JamesF

JamesF

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

So how is everyone else thats 17 getting round the insurance problem?

Cheers

By saving up until I can afford it. :thumbsup:

#3 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

But I want to drive now! :thumbsup:

#4 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Dont we all..

#5 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

I had to get my mini in my mums name and be a named driver. I don't think insurance companies like giving under 18's direct debits. It is difficult, and my mini is still under my mums name while it's being worked on, but, if you don't mind adding another owner, then it's worth it.

Also, look at direct line (but they are a bit arsey when you actually want to claim) or elephant, as they give named drivers a NCB with that company, to keep you with them. You're risking agreed value against building up a NCB, which at your age, is like gold dust!

#6 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Im currently in the same situ

the plan was for the mini to be my first car, however im now driving a pug 106 as the mini is in project stage

insurance on the pug is £1500 and it's a 1.1!!!

i think im gonna keep my pug, and have the mini as a second car, but i'll have my mum insure it under her name (due to being experienced, a woman and massively cheaper) and i'll be a named driver so i can drive it

it's really confusing though as to how we're going to do this and needs some careful consideration

if it comes to it, i'll have to sell the pug (which doesnt overly bother me) it's just a lot easier for motorway driving

#7 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

it is difficult but there are ways around it. A mate of mine went under his mum's name with someone (i will let you know when i find out) and he managed to get a 9 month polocy. It was a NCB booster. So after 9 months they gave him 1 years NCB so he could go under his own name earlier! I think it was Norwich union, but im not 100% sure

#8 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

I got quoted £1300 for a 1.4 Renault 5

Im not sure how they work it out but its £192 a month!!!!!!! (due to interest or something)

Cheers

14.7% isn't too bad for a monthly insurance quote... time to ask the parents for a loan I think :thumbsup:

#9 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

the only other way i can see me keeping both cars is to wait until my insurance needs renewing next march, and then go fully comp so i can drive the mini without being a named driver

but then it's going to cost that much more for fully comp so may not be worth it

so confusing, no wonder so many people drive without insurance....

#10 JamesF

JamesF

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

i think im gonna keep my pug, and have the mini as a second car, but i'll have my mum insure it under her name (due to being experienced, a woman and massively cheaper) and i'll be a named driver so i can drive it

Just be careful you don't end up fronting. It's illegal.

If you're insuring yourself as a main driver, adding extra drivers (Like your parents) can sometimes bring the cost down.

#11 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

the only other way i can see me keeping both cars is to wait until my insurance needs renewing next march, and then go fully comp so i can drive the mini without being a named driver

With the last 2 insurance companies I've been with, you have to be 21 and have 2 or 3 years NCB.
Also, you are ok to be a named driver while your still on L plates, but i would recommend making yourself a main driver after you pass. Direct line did this for me and the premiums ended up going down

#12 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Thankfully, at 31, I'm past the "young driver" category, but one thing that's really worked for me this year is the Institute of Advanced Motorists. They have their own insurance service, which isn't always very competitive, but this year has been nothing short of fantastic. I rang with my best quote and they then dictated a better price to Royal SunAlliance. They also have a standard excess of £100 (compulsory + voluntary). I run two cars (MINI - daily drive and an MPI cooper - weekends) and they've given me great quotes on both.

The IAM course / test costs about £60, plus there's a £20 yearly membership (which was a small price to pay for the insurance discount). Might be worth a shot.

#13 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

With the last 2 insurance companies I've been with, you have to be 21 and have 2 or 3 years NCB.
Also, you are ok to be a named driver while your still on L plates, but i would recommend making yourself a main driver after you pass. Direct line did this for me and the premiums ended up going down

Ive passed already, been driving 5 months now

Im a main driver on my peugeot, im the only on on the policy hence the £1500

i plan keep my own policy on the peugeot, but become a named driver on the mini, insured under my mum's name

first things first, the mini has to be road worthy :thumbsup:

#14 not for sale sorry

not for sale sorry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

yer i saved up mate, hard work long hours you are coming to the car world its all about money, they work it out as you would pay a som up front then pay £192 for 10 months then get the 2 last months free, i had a 1.6 xr2 fully modded i claimed all the mods and i payed £1700 for the year i was paying something like £172 a month they bite you in the arse for it!!

#15 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Ouch!
For once, it pays to be old (31!)... I paid £146. For the year...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users