Photo

Any Other Young Drivers Having Insurance Problems?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Ouch!
For once, it pays to be old (31!)... I paid £146. For the year...

Jelous much...

#17 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

ust had my renewal form through, its halved from last year now i have 1 years no claims, but its still £854, and thats third party fire and theft!, get to pay monthly though, still £74 a month though, better than 140 odd mind!

#18 not for sale sorry

not for sale sorry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

yer yer i no bad aint it but hay.i am driving a vw transporter now 1.9tdi and i payed £880 fully comp for the yaer, my xr2 was tird party fire and theft lol so in a way my van is cheap to me but its still expensive, i am 19 an have bein driving 4 2 years

#19 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

Well, while my mini is off the road, i have "borrowed" my O/H mini, its costing £750 for the 2 of us both with 2 years NCB! Expensive much! But nobody wanted to insure us because we were under 21 and not married.

#20 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:48 AM

Stings like a beastie... I managed to get a TPFT policy through Adrian Flux for £1220 - that's including a hefty Pass Plus discount. Then I moved to Glasgow for uni... and they bumped it up another £900!

Unfortunately, with insurance, all you can do is make sure you've got the cheapest quote possible and pay up, and make sure you've delcared all mods or whatever or the whole policy is useless.

A lot of places won't insure under-21s (Footman James) or insure young drivers on modified cars (Direct Line).

#21 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ouch!
For once, it pays to be old (31!)... I paid £146. For the year...

im 22 at the mo drive a 1.6 8v 306 97 reg. last years was £1000 the year before that (first year driving) was £1600.
and its due again so so im hoping it will go down a big chunk like last time.

£146? wish mine was that low!

to be honest if u can afford it dont have parents as the main driver, you need the no claims bonus at you're age. sooner the better. because even i got stung at 21!
what my mate did was buy a scrapper, before he'd passed his test. insured it a cheap as possible and kept it in a field. just built up his no claims for 2 years, saved him loads of money. not sure if its legal tho haha.

#22 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:04 AM

A lot of places won't insure under-21s (Footman James) or insure young drivers on modified cars (Direct Line).

Footman James will insure young drivers, I was with them when I was 17 and 18. Try them, they gave me a great deal a few years ago

#23 not for sale sorry

not for sale sorry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

your insurance will be allways be fairly high till your 25 thats when it drops like 146!!!!! thats just a joke!! :kiss:

#24 Heather&Henrietta

Heather&Henrietta

Boobs + Batteries = Trouble!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: JMC & BMC

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, not quite the same problem, but just as a matter of interest, originally I paid £665 as a learner driver fully comp with 1 named driver. Soon as I passed my test I had £94 excess just for being a new driver. I now pay £765, due to a bump (!) Long story cut short, left my car parked in a multi story and when I came back someone had hit me and done a runner!

Total = £765 fully comp, as a newly passed 17 yr old and 1 named driver (mum) with a 998cc engine

Altho a friend of mine was desperate to buy a mini for his first car, and he was quoted about £3400 for his insurance from several companies on a 998cc!!

Have also heard that depending on the MODS you have on your mini will also affect how much you pay...and whether you've taken a pass plus course or normal standard driving lessons.

Edited by Heather&Henrietta, 02 October 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#25 not for sale sorry

not for sale sorry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

yer my girlfriend (wife as she likes to be called) had the same thing she was paying like £800 for a 1.2 clio as a learner then when she passed her test, she rang up the insurance company hoping it would go down BUT no it went up, it goes up due to when your learning to drive you have som1 experienced next to you so it is cheaper, but when you pass, you drive by your self and don't have no1 experienced to look after you!

#26 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Local Club: N.W Mini's / O.D.M.C

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Insurance is always bad when your a new driver or young... worse if your both!

I've been lucky I'm in the motor trade so I can get everything through the company, I pay £800 a year on 998 with all mods declared and valued with the insurance company at £2500

Last time I checked with a regular insurance company the wanted nearly 2 grand... although I'm 20 been driving for nearly 3 years but don't have any no claims bonus due to being on a traders policy and being in the motor trade they put 10% on to your quote as your not likely to claim if it's your fault

#27 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

Insurance is always bad when your a new driver or young... worse if your both!

I've been lucky I'm in the motor trade so I can get everything through the company, I pay £800 a year on 998 with all mods declared and valued with the insurance company at £2500

Last time I checked with a regular insurance company the wanted nearly 2 grand... although I'm 20 been driving for nearly 3 years but don't have any no claims bonus due to being on a traders policy and being in the motor trade they put 10% on to your quote as your not likely to claim if it's your fault

lol thats very lucky considering that other minor little thing on you're licence!

#28 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

Mine went down when I passed my test by about £15 a month. Wierd...

#29 Heather&Henrietta

Heather&Henrietta

Boobs + Batteries = Trouble!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: JMC & BMC

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Mine went down when I passed my test by about £15 a month. Wierd...

lucky :P :kiss: :P

#30 v21ash

v21ash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: HumbersideMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

your insurance will be allways be fairly high till your 25 thats when it drops like 146!!!!! thats just a joke!! :kiss:

I think most insurance companies have up'd it to 30 now, i know mine has.

The quote also varies on location aswell as age, i moved a couple of years ago (only about 15 miles from were i used to live) and my premium went up about £60 (even though car crime is virtually non existent were i live now) just out of interest i got quotes for different areas and the premium varied by £800!!

Edited by v21ash, 02 October 2008 - 09:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users