236 replies to this topic

#31 Jeff R

Jeff R

The Forum Lesbian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

A nice Blaze GT shell, now that's familiar! Might get round to finishing mine one day! Yours looks great so far - gotta love that colour!

Attached Files

#32 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

One day Jeff, one day lmao

#33 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

A nice Blaze GT shell, now that's familiar! Might get round to finishing mine one day! Yours looks great so far - gotta love that colour!

It's the best!

One day Jeff, one day lmao

How long has the project been going? I'm pushing 5 years on my rebuild and people are now starting to take the pi55! Hence why I want it finished...... :withstupid:

Edited by sherly, 07 January 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#34 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

don't worry about slow progress your still moving forwards twice as quick as pie

#35 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

MY MINI RUNS! WOOP WOOP WOOP!!!!!

Spent a few hours on the car on Saturday - fitted the rebuilt carb, set the ignition timing up (which I'd not done before - only read about) and turned the key.

She was a bit reluctant to fire up at first but after a few turns there was a cough and a splutter and air was filled with a noise that I haven't heard for a very long time - my mini's engine purring away!!!!!

She sounded pretty good, bar the blowing exhaust - considering the engine has sat on my boss' garage floor for 15 years (I did a gasket change before I dropped it in)! Also the mini hasn't had a running engine in it for 6 years :D so all in all quite a milestone in the rebuild.

Next I'm going to concentrate on doing all the small niggly jobs under the bonnet which will enable me to effectively shut the bonnet and forget about it and then move onto the headlining/windscreens/interior.

Pics to follow - my mate came down to the workshop to see it fire up and took some great piccies - when I receive them I'll add them....

Chuffed-to-bits Mart :D

#36 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

Engine runs with some divine intervention......

Posted Image

Little bit of tweaking to persuade her to fire......

Posted Image

Really got motivated now it's running. Hopefully it should be on the road for the spring - really can't wait to do the shows this year....... :)

#37 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

I managed to get back for the weekend to work on the mini again.

In the fortnight between the weekend and my last visit to the workshop I made up a rad fan bracket to mount both the Yamaha R6 cooling fan onto the metro rad and to act as a bracket/heatsink for the ignition module. I also splashed out on a set of A008s for my GB alloys to finally get the mini back down on 10s.

Then it was a matter of wiring in the rad fan to the temp switch in the rad and testing it out.

So jobs for the weekend were:

1. Sealing the exhaust downpipe to the turbo elbow - what a b1tch of a job that was! No space to swing a spanner at all..... Got it done nevertheless.

2. Fitting solid mounts for the front of the front subframe. The only repair panel I could get hold of for the front end was for post '76 clubmans whereas mine is a solidmounted pre '76 car. Therefore I needed some ally teardrop solidmounts which I bought and fitted.

3. Fitting 10 inch wheels.

4. Fitting rad fan, mounting ign module, wiring in fan and testing it. Fan cuts in and out perfectly and stops the car overheating. I'm yet to test it in real life conditions (middle of summer, stuck in a traffic jam on the M25) but the R6 fan seems to provide adequate cooling.

5. Fitted correct length bolts for engine mounts and tightened up.

6. Fitted a new petrol filler cap inside the aston chrome cover

Oh and then I wheeled her outside, dusted her off and took some piccies ;D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've got a few jobs to do before I can just shut the bonnet and forget it but nothing another weekend at the workshop wouldn't sort.

So - next big thing on the agenda is headlining and windscreens. Not looking forward to that....

Mart :w00t:

#38 mini_kel

mini_kel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • Local Club: EMC/No pub mini club

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

Looking sweet!! Mind those keys on the paint work!! lol

#39 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

She's looking hot!! Nice work............ ;D :w00t:

#40 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

oh my god! ;D gorgeous :w00t:

#41 B-shaw

B-shaw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: www.clubpolo.co.uk

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

Beautiful ;D
10"s are the way forward, and that colour is sexy.

#42 clubby

clubby

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Local Club: BrEt

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

any progress mate.. ?

#43 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

any progress mate.. ?

Not since I updated the post 5hrs ago, nope. :cry: :w00t:

Thanks for the comments peeps. Much appreciated and certainly helps to keep up the motivation to get her finished!

I've now got a couple of weeks to collect some more parts that I need before I head back to work on her towards the end of Feb - hopefully to have a little drive too for the first time in 6 years!

Gonna have to set a finish deadline now surely? London to Brighton? ;D

#44 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

I remember reading this back in 2006 and now I've found it again!

Its looking soooooo nice! Will be really subtle when its on the road, and the colour is spot-on!

Looking forward to seeing more updates as you finish the interior etc, and I hope you get it done for L2B! Good job :)

#45 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I remember reading this back in 2006 and now I've found it again!

Its looking soooooo nice! Will be really subtle when its on the road, and the colour is spot-on!

Looking forward to seeing more updates as you finish the interior etc, and I hope you get it done for L2B! Good job :o

Cheers Tom :xxx:

I've been back to the workshop a few times since updating the project thread and I passed a major milestone today.

I DROVE the mini out of the workshop! Woo Hooo!

After a few weeks of collecting parts from various people on the forum and a bit of spannering I've got the GT to a point where I can drive it - albeit a little breezy as it hasn't got a windscreen or webasto roof yet. (next on the agenda).

Some piccies...

Yamaha R6 rad fan/custom bracket. Not sure this will be adequate in traffic on a hot day yet but it really does seem to shift some air.....
Posted Image

Refurbed top mount brackets and colour coded front shocks (not intentional) fitted.
Posted Image

Brakes and clutch sorted - new brake master - the larger version for disc brakes - and refurb'd clutch master.
Posted Image

Original GT steering wheel, later rev counter/clocks (compatible with electronic ignition) courtesy of elisha_the_cooper (cheers ben :w00t:), refurb'd/repainted heater box - (currently cable tied in place until I sort out some custom brackets) - cheers arron (modyboy) and funky pool ball gear knob - cheers mighty_mini_jack!
Posted Image

Cleaned up and fitted the alternator
Posted Image

I know it's been done a million times before but I just had to...... :)
Posted Image

Mascot....
Posted Image

Finally some outside-in-the-rain-having-just-driven-it shots...
Posted Image
Wonky AA badge!
Posted Image

Onto the easter holidays and headlining & windscreen fun! Cheers to those people who have supplied bits so far......!

Mart :w00t:

p.s could this thread be moved to the complete rebuild project section...?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)