the_samkingdon15

formally known as samkingd0n

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Local Club: I ride alone

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm Sam. I'm a 15 year old student from North Devon..

I just bought this rusty piece of crap for £525  :shy:

The plan is to completely restore to a show standard (i probably wont stick to the plan) but hey ho  :D

Learning as i go along so please correct my many mistakes.. I will make lots  :whistling:

I know you all love piccies so ill post loads 

Enjoyyy

Sam

Attached Files

Edited by the_samkingdon15, 25 May 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Look's good, Whats your plans for it?

For the pictures it's easyer to Create a photobucket account and upload your pictures and copy the IMG Code into your post.

#3 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

I want to fully restore it.. teal blue.. white mirrors/stripes.. I have a very good idea in my head :/
I'll do a photo bucket now then :)

#4 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Look's good, Whats your plans for it?

For the pictures it's easyer to Create a photobucket account and upload your pictures and copy the IMG Code into your post.

is this right?

so here's what I've done today..
I stripped the interior, removed rear windows etc
after looking at the engine a bit closer i think it's got a mg metro gt engine in it as I have a turbo :/
any advice would be great..
thanks

next job will be removing the engine and all chrome :D

image_zps79f0927a.jpg

image_zps93cf09d9.jpg

image_zpsc2ca7ef7.jpg

image_zpsca7a7a36.jpg

image_zps8e569902.jpg

image_zps4e45da1e.jpg

Edited by samkingd0n, 24 August 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#5 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Looks like a good project matey.  Lots of work needed there 

#6 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

been a lot of heavy stuff at school recently so only been able to see her a couple times.. basically I've finished taking trims/ glass/ lights etc off and now gonna get her started.. :)
(any tips would be amazing as I'm really new to all this.. basically teaching myself as I go along)

so I've revealed a fair bit of rust from taking the rear door cards out (see the picture)..should I fit a new panel of try and weld that? also the window sill needs a lot of attention :D

aca463245ac06171169b02ed10ff9fb7_zps37a8

e0e26d02ce73be86f026ff0ee8641a82_zps1783

#7 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

finally did some decent work today.. after towing it through the rain with no windscreen I got it on a ramp.. underneath is pretty solid which I'm very pleased about.. so I began to tackle the engine..
the guy I'd bought it off had taken all the fuel lines, and me having no previous experience with carbs struggled to fit it.. eventually I got it done :D after replacing the coil and cleaning spark plugs I cranked her.. (well, got my brother to)

RAN FIRST TIME :D (then died)

Edited by the_samkingdon15, 28 September 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#8 inkyjamesdee

inkyjamesdee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hey Sam looks like good project there.

Probably worth checking some of the old project logs on here as you will pick up some tips from there. Most mini's seem to rot in the same places so check through and see what ones were in a similar state as yours to get an idea of how to go about it.

I would definatly replace the panels where possible and there are loads of places that supply panels and you can get pretty much every panel. Its a good idea to really check the part your replacing and make sure the panel will do the job especially with window areas as some of the pattern panels don't include the curve of the window.

And obviously make sure you get all the rust out as it will come back to haunt you if not.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this, would make an ace first car for you too.

#9 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hey Sam looks like good project there.
Probably worth checking some of the old project logs on here as you will pick up some tips from there. Most mini's seem to rot in the same places so check through and see what ones were in a similar state as yours to get an idea of how to go about it.
I would definatly replace the panels where possible and there are loads of places that supply panels and you can get pretty much every panel. Its a good idea to really check the part your replacing and make sure the panel will do the job especially with window areas as some of the pattern panels don't include the curve of the window.
And obviously make sure you get all the rust out as it will come back to haunt you if not.
Looking forward to seeing your progress with this, would make an ace first car for you too.

sorry mate, I only just saw your comment haha..
I've been reading every build thread I come across so far.. you do pick up loads of tips yeah..
I've ordered a whole new front now so it's all good around that area.. ;) I'll just worry about the back now

#10 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

okay..update :D

basically I ain't. been able to spend much time on the mini but I've not stopped thinking about him..
I've not had much time so whenever I got a moment I got to work on the floorpans removing the soundproofing.. it was going beautifully until I got to the rear drivers corner.. rusted out :(
49edd04f6f1fe39f205f1df2ad0ce943_zpsdb3e
if I don't have to work Saturday I will get the front end off and engine out :D
I NEED MORE TIME :(

#11 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Keep at it fella

It will all come together and you'll have a nice little car and gain skills along the way

Good luck :-)

#12 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

UPDATEEE

first, sorry I haven't posted in a while.. been busy with school and stuff but I have had a school holiday this week.. unfortunately I have had to work to pay of debts etc so I still ain't done much.. in lunch breaks and sometimes after work I pottered about and just did little stuff.. a bit of the front panel and one wing is sort of off but I haven't been able to do the rest.. 59c40698a80e6b3ae02b56a4d8eaec56_zpsb090
I had all day today working on him so I started removing the engine.. after taking one driveshaft out I was asked to give up the ramp I was using for a breakdown.. pains of using a garage :/ basically, I only managed one driveshaft..
so I got to work cleaning the engine..
660eca8064aa50fb1928b26da5975418_zpsba70
and
bcf818b70f4177f2eef78bf20abbfd25_zps26bc
not bad for limited access
also these beauties came (got to order scuttle repairs and door hinge thingies..
6de56846fb77d7ee00b9ee451391c926_zpsce4f

#13 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thats not a bad project you have there. The rusted parts at the rear window you are worrying about are the waist rail and rear quarter not all that bad really

#14 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thats not a bad project you have there. The rusted parts at the rear window you are worrying about are the waist rail and rear quarter not all that bad really

cheers mate.. so for that is there a panel or should I make something up to weld in?

#15 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

thought I'd post a video of him properly running..
after seeing 'project trig' I fell in love with the colour cranberry red and I have decided to do my mini that colour.. :)
so yeah :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users