9 replies to this topic

#1 Shylos

Shylos

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I wondered if I would ever have a project thread here, but since my last MOT failure I figure now is the time to start one!

Mr Mini is a 1990 Midnight Blue City, and I have had him for... around 10 years now I would say. Off the road for a few years - firstly for new panels and a respray (not by me) and then while I sorted out cleaning and rebuilding the carb and a few other bits. Then the MOT happened and the rest is in Is It Time To Say Goodbye?... (http://www.theminifo...to-say-goodbye/)

First - a couple of pictures:

9a05ebe004e711e2aaa222000a1e95e9_7.jpg image.jpg

What's next:

Welding - the subframe mounts and the inside of a wing need doing. I have never welded before so this is a big challenge. I have access to the space I need, and a MIG welder etc, and somebody that knows what they are doing, so hopefully with practice I can get it done. I have bought the Haynes Restoration book which hopefully will be useful too - as well as this place! I still have some things I need to work out, including:

• How to get to the underneath of the car - whether I need to buy/make a spit or if there is another way

• What to replace - whole panels or just cut out the bits that need doing

Here's the problem areas:

20140314_164848.jpg 20140314_164928.jpg 20140314_165101.jpg 20140314_165018.jpg

These may need redoing - solid but looks grim:

20140314_165157.jpg 20140314_165204.jpg

and what looks like a crack in the subframe - not sure if fixable (wasn't picked up on the MOT)

20140314_165123.jpg

Electrical - Sidelights and rear fog not working - although I could have sworn the sidelights were... Also the wipers - shouldn't be a problem.

Bearings - Excessive play, again shouldn't be anything big... hopefully.

So - after I have worked out how to get at what I need to get at, what exactly I am going to cut out and how to do it, it'll be all go!

#2 lewBlew

lewBlew

Previously known as theboybradley.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Good for you in taking on the repairs. It looks like one of those 'parts cheap labour intensive' jobs which are incredibly expensive to get done by a garage but relatively cheap to do yourself.

Looks like a nice car. Look forward to seeing your updates. Whether you do it yourself or get some help (from this forum no doubt),  good luck!

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Good luck with this.

It is up to you what you do with regards to replacing whole or part panels and really depends on how much time you want to spend and of course your budget.

You are going to have lots of nasty rust behind those outer sills as they are not vented so you will need to factor that in.

As far as gaining access to the underside, a spit is ideal if you are going to strip the shell out completely but i have worked on the underside of mine simply by tipping it on its side either onto tyres or a mattress. 

Welding skill is a must so plenty of practice is essential.

Plenty of helpful advice on here so ask what you need and you will be sure to get a reply!

Cheers

Ben

#4 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Local Club: MiniFreakz, Brighton Mini Club

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Looks like a good project bit of work but certainly not too scary! :-) good luck ask questions and keep a lot of pics in the project log! :-D

#5 Covert

Covert

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Good luck with the project , nice to see another one being saved

#6 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

looks like a good base !

#7 Hendred

Hendred

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I just read your thread from when your mini failed it's MOT called 'is it time to say goodbye' and then found this thread, glad to see you decided to tackle it.

How is it going so far?

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

You certainly have some work to do there. Ok start with the easier bits first.

Shock absorber mounts. You will need to take off the shocker mount itself here and be prepared to find a big hole behind it. Thus area is a twin skin area so will need to carefully cut and re fabricated to get right. It's not difficult to do but you need to remember about the nut blocks the shock absorber bolts to.

The subframe I'm very surprised the MOT did not find that. Instant fail. Now this can be repaired by welding the crack from both sides so will need the engine and subframe out.

Now for the biggie. Unfortunately you have got over sills fitted. This can be very bad news and will entail a lot of work to rectify. Take these off and see what is lurking. Be prepared for worst case scenario of new inner sill to the first flute. These can be bought from M a Machine and are not expensive.

Where the hole is in the rear of the outer sill is also where the rear subframe mounts. Again with the outer sill off you will see what exactly is going on there and this in itself may need the rear subframe off to carry out repairs.

#9 Shylos

Shylos

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

I can't believe it's been this long since I posted this thread... I think I have been too worried about starting it so put it off for a long time, but finally I have made a start. Nothing massive so far, but started stripping the engine bay ready for removal - I am planning on going with the shell over the engine method, and leaving the front subframe and engine behind.

Now for the biggie. Unfortunately you have got over sills fitted. This can be very bad news and will entail a lot of work to rectify. Take these off and see what is lurking. Be prepared for worst case scenario of new inner sill to the first flute. These can be bought from M a Machine and are not expensive.

Where the hole is in the rear of the outer sill is also where the rear subframe mounts. Again with the outer sill off you will see what exactly is going on there and this in itself may need the rear subframe off to carry out repairs.

I don't think I saw this when you first posted it - certainly given me more to think about! Sounds like the sills could be a real issue... With regards to the rear subframe, I was assuming this would have to come out anyway to weld the rear. Seems like it all could be even bigger than I first imagined...

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

It's always the same with minis , whatever you see on the surface is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users