This wasn't supposed to be a project (how many times has that been said?!); to start with I was just repairing a thumb-sized hole in the rear floorpan ... and then things got a little out of hand! So I thought I'd share how I've been getting on
First of all here's what started everything. 'Hamish' is my partner's car and I'd been sorting it so she could take him to be MOT'd. I was pretty-much done when I spotted this under the passenger-side rear seat ...
Me being me I could leave it alone so of course I prodded the rust ... and it went through. And given that the back of this panel is flat against the rear subframe's front cross-member there was no way I could repair this properly without dropping the frame ... so that's what I did.
Once the frame was off I could see exactly what'd happened; where the flange folds up the vertical it hadn't been flattened & sealed properly and so water & mud had gathered and rotted through. In the end I had to cut out some of the floor as well as the upright section to get it all repaired.
Taking the subframe out gave me the chance to have a proper look at it. In-situ it'd looked ok ... but out in daylight there were a few bits I wasn't happy with. And the more I looked the more I found (I know; I should probably just have stopped looking! ). My other thread here: [http://www.theminifo...er-some-advice/] covers the work on the subframe, but basically I ended up half-rebuilding it!
At this point it all got too much so I ran away for a month (!) but once I was back I got the subframe all painted & ready to go back in. Here's how it's looking now; rebuilt & repainted.
While it was out I decided it would be sensible to get a coat of underseal into the rear 'well' where the frame fits. So during the highly unpleasant job of lying under the car scrubbing cr*p off above your head with degreaser solution I spotted the driver-side rear wheelarch had a bit of rust; again I prodded it - you'd have thought I'd have learnt my lesson by now wouldn't you?
Anyway this didn't look like too bad a repair, so I cut out the rust, made a template and then made a repair panel up. While preparing the surrounding area to weld in the repair however I realised I wasn't grinding metal anymore ...
... because the rear panel at that point was made of a prodigious quantity of filler
So after getting rid of that, cleaning up & prepping the surrounding area and welding in the original repair panel in I made up another template and cut another panel. Given that this is the rounded corner I wasn't sure I would be able to create the shape properly, but my dad persuaded me to (quite literally) give it a bash (hah!) and it actually came out far better than I'd expected; I was quite chuffed with this
Another day, another patch of filler - standard drill: grind-back, cut out, prep, template, panel, weld, grind back.
I thought I was nearly there at this point; silly boy. I checked the boot floor at the back ... and found it rotten in both corners; it'd even gone through the back of the car under the passenger-side rear light. I started on the passenger-side, where the worst of the rust was, and after removing the fuel-tank retaining strap bracket I cut the rust out ... to find the passenger-side corner had gone through and been filled just like the driver's side! So I cut that out too.
... so that's where I was this morning. I've got a cunning plan to stop the rust in these water-traps reoccurring; more on that once I've got a bit further with it tomorrow ... working around the BTCC coverage of course!
Thanks for reading and wish me luck!