#1 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hi there

I have a problem with my hazard lights because they don't work. The indicators on both sides work although the left indicator warning light doesn't work. So it's not the bulbs on the exterior of the car. When in the on position, the hazard switch stops the indicators from working, however no lights come on outside the car and no warning lights come on inside the car. Having had a dig around online it may help if I mention the interior light near the top of the door frame on the passenger side has also stopped working. Any help would be much appreciated as although I'm mechanically minded electronics aren't my strong point.

Kind Regards
George

#2 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Bad earths? Flasher unit perhaps. Kernowcooper will undoubtedly be along with other ideas later :-)

#3 59 Speed

59 Speed

Formally know as Smackfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

I had something like this on mine.

Ended up the hazard switch needed taking apart and cleaning - the terminals inside had oxidised. This led to hazards not working and the indicators being hit and miss.

To take the switch out if the equation use a piece of wire to act as a switch in the hazard plug to see if it solves he problem.

Hope this helps.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

here is the Hazard Light circuit which will enable you to check the switch and wiring, as mentioned above the switches do give problems and be very careful taling it apart to take note of where the side spring clips go upon reassembly

There is a basic electrics course in the FAQs Electrical Section which would aid you in Car Electrics, you may wish to download

Attached Files

Edited by KernowCooper, 19 May 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#5 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Been a few like this recently. The fact that the interior lights have stopped working too could mean the fuse under the scuttle panel in the engine bay is broken. Have a check

#6 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

As above, even if the fuse isn't blown, try removing it and refitting!

#7 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

here is the Hazard Light circuit which will enable you to check the switch and wiring, as mentioned above the switches do give problems and be very careful taling it apart to take note of where the side spring clips go upon reassembly

There is a basic electrics course in the FAQs Electrical Section which would aid you in Car Electrics, you may wish to download

Thanks for the diagram that's much easier to follow - I did short the switch yesterday, although I was struggling to short all four of the top terminals at the same time so perhaps I just wasn't shorting it properly although nothing happened... I will have another look on Saturday.

Cheers
George

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

You can just short the green pink to the other 3 terminals one at a time, but I don't think it's the switch if the interior light is a clue.

See if the fuse's supply is live and disconnect, or sort out any shorts, on the interior light if the fuse has blown.

#9 [email protected]

[email protected]

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Local Club: Long Island Mini Enthusiasts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

On my '91 Mainstream Cooper hazards and interior light are both fused by the same in-line fuse that is hidden behind the air cleaner and Carb.

With both subsystems "dead" in your description, this sounds like that fuse.

The odd part is that Haynes says the directional indicators are also on this same fuse...while you say those are presently working.

Of course that could be an infamous Haynes typo because at the same time it says that the indicator relay is fused by the #1 fuse in the 4 fuse block (white wire "in/hot" when ignition key is turned to position II -> Green wire "out"), so this could explain why indicators are still "live" for you.

Check your inbound contact in your interior light for 12volts with a multimeter. There are 3 wires on my 3-position switched interior light, 1 hot all the time - look for a Purple wire with an Orange stripe/tracer line, 1 directly to ground - likely Black, 1 to the door switches, likely Purple/White).

Next check voltage on the Purple/Orange wire feeding your flasher relay (a silver rectangular/or circular box with 2 wires in an "L" shaped connector, nesteled in the sound proofing foam on my bulkhead, left-hand side).

If you are not getting voltage in either spot, check behind the engine along the fire wall for the inline fuse.

Sometimes just cleaning all the push on connectors at the fuses with WD-40 (and any terminals you can get at with some emery cloth) is all it takes to make "mystery" Mini electrical issues go away.

#10 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

On my '91 Mainstream Cooper hazards and interior light are both fused by the same in-line fuse that is hidden behind the air cleaner and Carb.

With both subsystems "dead" in your description, this sounds like that fuse.

The odd part is that Haynes says the directional indicators are also on this same fuse...while you say those are presently working.

Of course that could be an infamous Haynes typo because at the same time it says that the indicator relay is fused by the #1 fuse in the 4 fuse block (white wire "in/hot" when ignition key is turned to position II -> Green wire "out"), so this could explain why indicators are still "live" for you.

Check your inbound contact in your interior light for 12volts with a multimeter. There are 3 wires on my 3-position switched interior light, 1 hot all the time - look for a Purple wire with an Orange stripe/tracer line, 1 directly to ground - likely Black, 1 to the door switches, likely Purple/White).

Next check voltage on the Purple/Orange wire feeding your flasher relay (a silver rectangular/or circular box with 2 wires in an "L" shaped connector, nesteled in the sound proofing foam on my bulkhead, left-hand side).

If you are not getting voltage in either spot, check behind the engine along the fire wall for the inline fuse.

Sometimes just cleaning all the push on connectors at the fuses with WD-40 (and any terminals you can get at with some emery cloth) is all it takes to make "mystery" Mini electrical issues go away.

Thanks for such a detailed response, I will pop out in a minute and conduct a few tests.

Many Thanks
George

#11 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

I just did a few tests - all the fuses in the fuse box are working ( I emery clothed them to be on the safe side ) I also couldnt get at the inline fuse due to the plastic cover. However the hazard switch now illuminates if you move it a tiny bit and the left hand indicators flash but not the right hand ones. Also the left hand indicator warning light does not work when the indicators are applied however the lights themselves do work.

Once again many thanks.

Cheers
George

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

Left-hand tell tale could just be the bulb. Right-hand indicators sounds like the indicator stalk (if you meant they don't work when indicating). Remove the cowl and you may be able to tweak the contacts, or you may find the wire has detached.

Later cars will have a common fuse because there's only one flasher. The indicators are made live by an ignition switched relay between the flasher and the stalk.

#13 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

Left-hand tell tale could just be the bulb. Right-hand indicators sounds like the indicator stalk (if you meant they don't work when indicating). Remove the cowl and you may be able to tweak the contacts, or you may find the wire has detached.

Later cars will have a common fuse because there's only one flasher. The indicators are made live by an ignition switched relay between the flasher and the stalk.

Both indicators work when indicating but when the hazard switch is applied only the left hand side indicators come on as opposed to all the indication lights coming on. Also when indicating the indication light on the dash only comes on for the right indicators and not the left.

Kind Regards
George

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

That could be the hazard switch, or trace the green/white wire from the switch and look for breaks.

I may have missed something - do you have a centre speedo with just one indicator tell tale?

#15 WimpyMiniMan

WimpyMiniMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

That could be the hazard switch, or trace the green/white wire from the switch and look for breaks.

I may have missed something - do you have a centre speedo with just one indicator tell tale?

No it's a 1989 mini city e so the speedo is under the steering wheel and each direction has its own indicator light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)