2 replies to this topic

#1 Dutch_MiniSPI

Dutch_MiniSPI

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:13 PM

Hi everyone I'm the proud owner of a Mini SPI Balmoral edition. Like a lot of other owners I have a charging issue but can't find the solution.

I changed the alternator and battery for new ones and cleaned all the ground surfaces and added an extra one. Everything is working fine but what I see is my charging warning light is on when it is not started, but after I start the car it still illuminate slightly. I changed all the fuse links with straight wires, and replaced the connector which connects to the alternator. I also checked the brown/purple lines between the alternator and the starter and they are fine. 

#2 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:57 PM

Have you checked what voltage is coming out of the alternator and then what your getting at the battery? Could be a duff alternator, if you have changed the obvious then you need to measure and can diagnose from there.

#3 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

First thing I would do is confirm the correct operation of alternator. Put a voltage meter on battery and get 12v than start engine and should get 14v.  Its unlikely you have two alternators with the same fault so more likely a bad connection in the charge light circuit. First place I would check is the PCB on the back of the clocks .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users