7 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hi am having a real issue with my mini it's been stood for about a month and after jump starting I can't seem to get it to go into gear first 2nd third but fourth is fine just when I move the gear stick to put into gear it won't slot in it will however when I roll forward slowly and the same for 2nd and third but when I'm driving over say 20 mph it won't go into any of the gears 1 2 or 3 I'm flumuxed as to what it could be Amy help would be appreciated many thanks

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

You haven't stated whether you can put it into gear when the engine isn't running. When you're driving, have you tried pumping the clutch pedal or double clutching?

#3 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

What is double clutching? Yeh I have tried pumping on the clutch pedal sometimes works sometimes doesn't and yh it will go in when stationery and not running but when rolling to jump it won't go into gear and once managed to get running won't go in hear when moving sometimes will sometimes won't more won't

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sounds almost clutch related.

Double clutching is when you dip the clutch to release the gear, put it into neutral, release the pedal then dip it again and put it into the new gear. Usually you do it quickly in race applications but apparently it puts less stress on the syncros.

#5 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:58 PM

Ok will give that one a try failing that what other thing could be causing it to not go into gear? The last time it happened I played about with the two nuts that are together I think on some sort of link arm next to solenoid I tightened it a tiny amount and it seemed to correct it I may try this again but don't want to tinker with it too much what do you think

#6 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

This is the twin nut thing I tightened slightly just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about its just beneath my water bottle

Attached Files

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

Loosen those nuts off! They will stop all movement all together if done up. They are a stopper for over-throw of the clutch.

By the sounds of your problem, I think you need a new slave cylinder.

And, have the over-throw nuts set properly.

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

And please get a Haynes manual and read it thoroughly before performing any adjustments. It will not please us to hear that you have wrecked the clutch or something else. Rather. we would prefer your car to be running well, at minimum cost.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, suspension, electrical, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users