#1 AlanDogg

AlanDogg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Hi,
I just bought my daughter a second hand Mini Clubman for Christmas and today an indicator light came on. I'm hoping that someone here can tell us what it means. I have enclosed a picture of the light.

Many thanks Alan

Make: Mini Clubman

Year: 2008

Engine: 1.6

Attached Files

#2 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

You need to get hold of a scan tool, plug it into the diagnostic socket and read the fault code/s, there will also be a brief message on the scan tool screen directing you to the component or area of the system that is not working correctly, to be fair it could be anything and very foolish to speculate.

A local garage will charge you around £20 just to plug it in and then possibly charge you the hourly rate depending on the symptoms to look deeper.

If you know someone that has a generic scan tool then go down this route.

Edited by neal, 25 December 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Needs plugged into the diagnostic computer best to do that then head over to mini2.com

Or total mini.com

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

I think that is the brake pad wear warning light, so either some of you pads are worn a r the sensor is playing up. If you google BMW mini brake pad warning light you should be able to confirm and there is also a video on how to reset it but have the pads checked and changed first if necessary.

#5 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:47 PM

I think that is the brake pad wear warning light, so either some of you pads are worn a r the sensor is playing up. If you google BMW mini brake pad warning light you should be able to confirm and there is also a video on how to reset it but have the pads checked and changed first if necessary.

I hope it is,................ but looking at the picture of the rev counter the engine is at 1,100 rpm and I would imagine the vehicle at a standstill with the handbrake on, hence parking brake light on.

I hope the vehicle is at a standstill because whoever took the photo in the drivers seat has both hands on the phone/camera and not on the steering wheel (reflection on the binnacle glass)

Is this correct AlanDogg, are you referring to the yellow engine management light, also was the engine freshly started up from cold when you took the photo?

Edited by neal, 25 December 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#6 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

I hope it is,................ but looking at the picture of the rev counter the engine is at 1,100 rpm and I would imagine the vehicle at a standstill with the handbrake on, hence parking brake light on.

Is this correct AlanDogg, are you referring to the yellow engine management light, also was the engine freshly started up from cold when you took the photo?

Ahh right sorry did not notice the Rev needle, so yes hand brake warning light on and the engine management light, will probably need diagnostic tool as previously suggested.

#7 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

If you can find a garage who charges £20 use then because most around me charge min of £35 and then stick vat on!

#8 AlanDogg

AlanDogg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

I hope the vehicle is at a standstill because whoever took the photo in the drivers seat has both hands on the phone/camera and not on the steering wheel (reflection on the binnacle glass)

Yes MiniMad, I'm referring to the engine management light. Yes it was taken shortly after starting the car parked idle lol. My daughter said she drove it 40 miles today Inverness to Nairn & back and it still remains on.

Edited by AlanDogg, 26 December 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#9 AlanDogg

AlanDogg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys for your help, I have a friend who is going to read the fault code for me. Will post back and let you know how I get on...Thanks again

#10 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Yes it was taken shortly after starting the car parked idle lol. My daughter said she drove it 40 miles today Inverness to Nairn & back and it still remains on.

I thought so, the engine at 1,100rpm is still on it's cold start cycle.

Once the light appears, 99% of the time it will stay on until a code reader is plugged in, the problem is sorted and codes are cleared.

Hopefully it will be something straightforward and a quick 'n' easy repair, but I would try to keep the mileage down and use it as little as possible.

Good luck

#11 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

If you can find a garage who charges £20 use then because most around me charge min of £35 and then stick vat on!

£42 including vat for 10 minutes work to plug a code reader in, select vehicle type and to press a button to read fault codes is having a laugh.......

Having said that, I have just noticed that you live in Buckinghamshire. 

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

EML warning light on MINI's is very often caused by an oxygen/lambda sensor fault. As said a diagnostic will confirm An easy fix if just a replacement sensor is needed in the exhaust.

#13 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

As it's only a yellow warning light it shouldn't be anything serious. But if the warning light is red then turn the engine off quick and don't restart it without taking it to a garage first.

#14 AlanDogg

AlanDogg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

UPDATE!!!

Spot on mab01uk! OBD2 reading shows rear Lamba sensor is at fault. Been told to get a bosch replacement as others aren't as reliable IE Ebay ones?

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

UPDATE!!!

Spot on mab01uk! OBD2 reading shows rear Lamba sensor is at fault. Been told to get a bosch replacement as others aren't as reliable IE Ebay ones?

Yes I would go for a genuine Bosch replacement or order replacement from your local MINI Dealership parts department........cheap aftermarket parts often end up costing more in the end with poor quality and the hassle of doing the job again in a short time.

This website below is useful for looking up MINI and BMW part numbers and diagrams:-

(Enter site and scroll down for R55 MINI Clubman or use VIN number)

http://www.realoem.com/

Edited by mab01uk, 28 December 2016 - 08:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users