78 replies to this topic

#76 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Panky, I'll have a word with the paint shop about using a roller. I wish it was summer, the evenings were long, light and warm, and the car was ready for paint finishing...  it is getting really chilly working each night now and there's so much to do. 

Nothing inspiring, but the inside of the car has been scraped free of sound-deadening and bitumen. It was treated with rust stabiliser that went blue to black, then it had epoxy two-pack primer.

All the holes that had bungs or held roll cage/s or whatever ..were covered over with fibreglass patches. 

Attached File  inside in primer1.JPG   95.89K   0 downloads

Attached File  inside in primer2.JPG   99.06K   0 downloads

Next step, paint it Flame Red..

#77 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

I'm going to take a look through the other builds on this forum and see if anyone is as daft as me, restoring their car on their driveway .. cold, wet and dark most of the time..

Here's some of the latest pics... this is the original yellow Mini with the over-sills removed. The mechanic said the floor was not welded in, just held with gravity and the whole lot was a mess. He would need to start with replacing floors.. so i got a reshell instead.

Attached File  rusty 1.JPG   129.5K   0 downloads

Attached File  rusty 2.JPG   133.02K   0 downloads

The spare wheel well of the reshell was no good, so replaced yesterday. I didn't dress the welds too well, so will go back to these.

Attached File  repair spare wheel.JPG   108.91K   0 downloads

Attached File  under spare wheel.JPG   138.82K   0 downloads 

The inside has been scrubbed and sanded back almost to bare metal, had couple of Bilt Hamber things painted on, then Flame Red "Tractor and Machinery Enamel"

Attached File  red inside.JPG   110.81K   0 downloads

There was a hole from when the Red Top engine was in there... maybe for a prop shaft as it is the middle, but more like for the gear change linkage.. 

Attached File  plate on prop shaft.JPG   122.84K   0 downloads

Might do some more later today. Matt is keeping me company. He took the headlining out of the yellow car yesterday, and if I can get some bulldog clips, we'll put it back in the reshell tomorrow.

#78 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was going to post a picture of the front end of the 'rust-bucket' yellow car coming off ... but the snow, wet driveway and freezing weather has stopped me going outside for a bit ... the front end is almost off but not quite.. I can't get the angle grinder in to cut out the last bits so need to use a plasma torch and using this in the wet will lead to electrocution .. 

I hope it dries out soon and the temperatures goes up a couple of degrees...  I'm getting withdrawal symptoms and might end up watching Eastenders soon! 

:lol:

#79 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

This is how the driveway has looked for the last week. I need to find some inside jobs to do on the Mini.

In the background, my daily driver, the red rear wheel drive very light MR2 with fat tyres just floats and spins on the snow. With salt on the roads as well, I've been walking this last week. 

Attached File  cars on drive.JPG   78.54K   2 downloads

However today the front end came off .. my friend Matt took a picture of me for a change.. 

Attached File  front end off.JPG   128.48K   2 downloads

Matt and I sanded the inside of the front end in the house..

Attached File  inside front end.JPG   137.19K   2 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users