#1 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club TURKIYE

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

I own a 1992 Mini Spi. The Mini's motor has never been opened and the odometer shows 26.000 km.One of the two spi vehicles in Istanbul. Mechanics who knows about this type of Mini car is unfortunately not exist in Istanbul. But there are really talented mechanics. Last week the engine was taken out for maintenance. Engine block painted. Valeo brand 190 mm. new Verto clutch is fitted with new one which is bought from Mini Spares. The clutch cover is in good condition and has not been changed. All other clutch parts checked carefully and all are in good condition. But now the car does not shift first and reverse without sounding and rubbing. There is no problem in other gears (2,3,4) since the car started to go. The mechanic checked all the clutch settings but the result did not change. I need your help and suggestions about my problem. Please advice. Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   81.21K   4 downloads

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

I've edited your title to avoid confusion.

I hope you don't mind, your english is very good, but primary gear refers to something else, so I've changed it to 1st gear.

I'd start by checking the clutch is properly set up and adjusted.

Have a read of this

http://www.theminifo...tch-adjustment/

#3 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks TMF Team for correcting my wording.  I read the link. My mechanic checked all clutch components again and again. Even when he push the clutch lever with the help of a "lever", there is not a path that the arm can go any further ! Normally new 190 mm. Verto clutch is thicker than the old one.

Do we need to change "Clutch release bearing" as well. What is it for? Please advice.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

The clutch release bearing is what pushes against the fingers of the clutch pressure plate to release the friction plate. It is attached the plunger (the bit that you see moving from the outside of the housing).

#5 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Did you disconnect the gear stick linkage underneath the car by the exhaust? Have you checked this is connected properly? And is the gear stick unit fully secure to the car?

#6 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Assuming all the gear linkage is correct

I would renew the main plunger in the end of the housing, the 3" lever arm and the push rod too.

Then adjust the whole thing

Any small amount of wear on the push rod or on the ball end and where it sits in the plunger and its magnified to reduce travel.

Its also possible that the lever arm is bent a fraction.

#7 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

If you haven't bled the clutch hydraulics at the clutch slave cylinder, I would do so even just to reduce likely causes.

Edited by rww, 23 November 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#8 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Carlos, Steve, James, Retroman, Rww for your informations. We didn't disconnect the gear stick linkage. We couldn't renew the main plunger in the end of the housing, lever arm and the push rod. But we checked very carefully all those parts. And all seems ok. There is no wear and harm. Lever arm looks ok and working properly as well.

Even when he push the "ball end" with the help of a "lever" (external car lever), there is not a path that the clutch can go any further !

We can shift the gear to first and rear gear easily while the motor is off. Than you can run the car and go on :) If the car has start/stop option like modern cars, it may be easy to drive :)

What can I do more to solve the problem. Please advice...

#9 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Bit mistified

Sounds like the spinner plate may be sticking slightly to the flywheel /back plate or primary gear, and just dragging slightly. We live in a damp climate here and they even rust together...! Have you tried undoing the throwout nut a bit further...?

It may just need a bit of running time to come to, but really should be correct. 

I would try to run it avoiding 1st and reverse as much as possible, changing 2nd 3rd 4th more than normal, it may help bed it in more.

Then check adjustment, if that fails its probably a strip down and see, clean throughly with brake cleaner and fingers crossed.

Good to see a nice clean tidy engine bay.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Do you get the same issue if you try to select 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) whilst at a standstill?

Edited by GraemeC, 24 November 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#11 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

What happens if you put it into 1st gear when the engine is not running and keep the clutch pedal down and start up the engine?

#12 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Retroman, GraemeC and Northernpower. There is no problem with 2nd, 3rd or 4th. gear. Shift easily without any noice or force. We can put the car into 1st gear while the engine is not running.  When start up the engine you can go like a normal car. Same for rear gear. But when motor is on, it is impossible to shift gear to 1 st. or rear without hard voice and force. I really don't know. We are stuck???

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users