Hi All, its been a while since I've done an update so here goes, I'm still waiting for my new complete floor from M machine so I've been trying to keep myself busy with bits and pieces that I'm going to have to do at some point. I eventually managed to get the roof bare metalled, I counted 10 different layers of paint, the last top coat which was white had not been applied very well and had started to crazed and flake off of the previous layer
You can see in the last photo how thick the paint layers had become, once I had bare metalled the whole roof I span the car onto its side and bare metalled the inside of the roof also
Once the roof was finished I removed the old rusty drip rails to the underside of the gutter and replaced with new rails and plug welded into place
Once the inside roof was bare metal I then proceeded to weld up the arial whole, I then applied some filler to the roof around the arial hole repair. Both the inside roof and the outside roof then had an application of etch primer to protect them from moisture. I have also stripped down the front and rear subframes and these have gone away to be media blasted, when they come back they will be treated to a couple of coats of POR 15 chassis paint, when I removed the radius arms I found that someone in the past had taken a grinder to one of the stub axles to get the nut off and also cut off the shock mount bolt, so I've cleaned up the radius arms and they've gone away to have new spindles bushes and stub axles fitted, when they come back they also will be treated with POR 15
For those of you that have been following this for a while you will remember at the early stages of the rip down I removed a rotten piece of the rear lower window opening, My mate Tim Harber at Mini Mail kindly donated a section from one of his scrappers which I went and removed yesterday morning, unfortunately when I got it back to the workshop and cleaned it up it was to far gone with the old tin worm so I used it as a template and made a new piece from 1.2mm steel sheet
I wasn't very impressed with the finish so today I cut it back out and remade a new piece and welded that back in, it still needs a little bit of fettling and shaping but I'm much happier with the finish
I haven't welded fully the bottom seam as the bottom rear panel is going to be removed and replaced with a new Heritage one so didn't see the point. I have also welded in the other wheel arch so now both sides are now done. The only other thing I have managed to do is to look at the nearside rear quarter panel, It was bonded out with nearly 10mm of filler in the deepest area's
So this afternoon I decided to grind out all of the filler and made a start on dressing the panels back into shape, at the moment it looks like I'm going to be able to save the majority of the rear quarter panels, I will have to make up some repair sections but in the long run I think that's better than trying to replace the whole quarter, I do however reserve the right to change my mind if it all gets too much LOL.
Thanks for looking Guys I'll try to update a bit more frequently.
Edited by Mini Basher, 01 April 2018 - 08:39 PM.